E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

550 Two Year Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 05:39 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I?ve owned my 550i for two years now and I think I enjoy it more now than ever - it still puts smile on my face every day.

Yesterday, for example, I drove to Indianapolis and back (205 miles / 3.5 hours each way). If you know the Chicago area and overall driving conditions in the Midwest, you know that you will face every road condition imaginable - from the worst pot-holed road to the smoothest, flattest, straightest highway; from stuck-in-traffic plodding along at 10 MPH, to wide-open plains cruising at 100+ MPH . The 550 handled every condition with ease - never faltered, never rattled, never surprised. Oh, and I averaged 26.7 miles per gallon for the whole trip. What a machine.

I love the effortless power and grace; the still-setting-the-standard style of the exterior; the clean, sharp-looking interior; the perfect driving position; the precise steering; the rock-solid brakes; the uncanny chassis; and most of all ... the engine. Overall, the 550 is a stunning blend of a luxury sedan and a driver's car.

Did I mention the power plant? That thing is so smooth and silky and powerful - and I think it sounds better and delivers more power now than ever (at nearly 20,000 miles).

Reliability so far has been outstanding. Other than 3 oil changes, I've had the steering sensor replaced (without ever having any issues), and the rear brake pads were replaced a few thousand miles ago. And since getting the software updated to Progman 25, all of the initial quirks are gone.

I only have one major problem with my 550 - it's such a superb performer that I can't justify getting an M5, yet.
Attached Thumbnails 550 Two Year Review-june_2007_detail_042b.jpg  
Old 10-17-2007, 05:42 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='482654' date='Oct 17 2007, 09:39 AM
I?ve owned my 550i for two years now and I think I enjoy it more now than ever - it still puts smile on my face every day.

Yesterday, for example, I drove to Indianapolis and back (205 miles / 3.5 hours each way). If you know the Chicago area and overall driving conditions in the Midwest, you know that you will face every road condition imaginable - from the worst pot-holed road to the smoothest, flattest, straightest highway; from stuck-in-traffic plodding along at 10 MPH, to wide-open plains cruising at 100+ MPH . The 550 handled every condition with ease - never faltered, never rattled, never surprised. Oh, and I averaged 26.7 miles per gallon for the whole trip. What a machine.

I love the effortless power and grace; the still-setting-the-standard style of the exterior; the clean, sharp-looking interior; the perfect driving position; the precise steering; the rock-solid brakes; the uncanny chassis; and most of all ... the engine. Overall, the 550 is a stunning blend of a luxury sedan and a driver's car.

Did I mention the power plant? That thing is so smooth and silky and powerful - and I think it sounds better and delivers more power now than ever (at nearly 20,000 miles).

Reliability so far has been outstanding. Other than 3 oil changes, I've had the steering sensor replaced (without ever having any issues), and the rear brake pads were replaced a few thousand miles ago. And since getting the software updated to Progman 25, all of the initial quirks are gone.

I only have one major problem with my 550 - it's such a superb performer that I can't justify getting an M5, yet.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:38 AM
Members

WOW! What motivation for us on the fence.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Another happy member of the V8 Club !!! I love the way these cars so effortlessly ramp the speed up !!

Cheers
Old 10-17-2007, 06:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Old 10-17-2007, 06:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '04 Jet Black Once upon a time it had chrome wheels... 'til i joined this forum :)

Ditto! And mine is two years older and only a 530! Don't need no damn V8 to feel the same way

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='482654' date='Oct 17 2007, 06:39 AM

Old 10-17-2007, 06:59 AM
Contributors

+1 Id hate to hit a pothole with my 166's. I curb rashed one of my wheels already. How are yours?
Old 10-17-2007, 07:12 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Veight' post='482676' date='Oct 17 2007, 09:59 AM
I curb rashed one of my wheels already. How are yours?
Mrs. Tachyon curbed the right rear wheel the one time she drove the 550 this summer. $129 repaired and repainted at Wheels America ... good as new.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='482654' date='Oct 17 2007, 08:39 AM
+1

Drove two M5s this summer - really wanted it for the M5 "coolness" - however, I simply love my active steering and the instantaneous torque available with this motor. The 550 just suites my drive/driving style better!

Damn car....

PS - I did love the cooled seats on the M5 however.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

I still have only 4500 miles or so on mine. It will be a year old in December. This vehicle possesses a combination of silky smooth power and incredible handling characteristics. I, as the rest of you, just love it!
Cheers

Quick Reply: 550 Two Year Review