E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

550 SMG or Manual ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 06:00 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joseyu' post='274151' date='Apr 25 2006, 09:31 PM
Another point to note about the SMG transmission is that it seems to be the least reliable of the 3. I always see posts about people having problems with their transmission and how they lock up, and almost all the time they have the SMG box.
If you want to talk reliability then the manual will beat all others hands down. Auto transmissions have historically been the least reliable and SMGs haven't been around that long so they are still an unknown for the most part.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:02 PM
Members

Originally Posted by hollywoodtrash' post='274122' date='Apr 25 2006, 07:23 PM
I'm planning to order an 07' 550 this week but I'm having trouble deciding between an SMG or 6-Speed. The guy who is selling me the car said that the SMG on the 5-series was completely different than the one from the new M5, and that it shifts horribly. I don't mind rough rides to a certain extent, but if it's that bad I would rather just have a 6-speed.

Does anybody with a current e60 SMG have any complaints with theirs? How does it shift?
The SMG is the way to go for sure! I have had my 550 SMG since November 06 and love it. The shifting becomes extremely fun after the first month or so. I would say I am still learning exactly how to drive it, but to a perfection style. Downshifting into first gear can be surprising to passengers, but with this transmission and the amount of torque the car has, you learn to control it thru breaking. (what I think). But I also love driving a manual; my mom has a 645i manual and it is A LOT of fun to drive as well..

The only reason to get a manual: if you truly love the manual shifting. If you can get over and past the full movement of the H pattern, then you are good to get SMG.

Note* I am willing to let anyone I know drive my car. I think everyone should have the chance to drive such a nice, well made, fast and torque-ie car..and paired with SMG!
Old 04-25-2006, 06:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

I labored over the same SMG/manual decision. I went with the manual and love it. It is a blast to drive, I love shifting the gears...love performing matched rev downshifts...nothing feels better than getting it perfect.

It freaks people out when they get in my car..."You have a manual transmission?" Most people can't believe it. If you have a car full of people, it is easy to shift smoothly, albiet at a slower/normal pace. But, to take people to lunch or something it is really easy to drive without them even know you are shifting. It is so smooth.

Obviously though, when you want to roll, turn off DSC and hammer it to redline and hold on because it will through you back in the seat. Don't let anyone drink coffee during this process.

And yes, it comes with start off assist, which is pretty cool when starting on an incline. However, if you are starting off pointing downhill it does not hold you in place for the 2.5 seconds. No need for it really unless you are backing up. I have not tried backing uphill to see if the system is smart enough to not let you roll forward...may have to give that a try to see what happens.

Good luck with your choice. For me the transmission was the most difficult option choice on my car as I went back and forth with what to get and I don't regret my decision. It is probably a case where you can't really go wrong.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:58 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i, Black Sapphire, SMG, M-Aerokit, Sports Package, Comfort Access, Logic 7,

Thanks a bunch guys. I am honestly leaning a little more towards an SMG now. But damn.. I love the shifting of a pure manual. It's just fun...

The only concern I have left now with getting a 6-speed is that it will be my first manual (however I have driven many before) and I live in SoCal where the traffic is brutal. I wonder if I would ever get sick of it.....
Old 04-25-2006, 08:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

If you live were there is traffic, you must get SMG over manual. For years I was die-hard stick man, now I will never own another manual as long as SMG is offered. Its shifts a smooth or as rough as a manual depending on how you drive it. In traffic you throw it into auto mode and let it take over. In the 550 its a no cost option which is one more reason to have the transmission of the future, just look at all the people converting there steptronics to paddle shifters. I also havent had any problems with my SMG. Get it, you wont regret it
Old 04-25-2006, 09:05 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason I added M5 SMG paddles is that I love shifting with paddle through the winding road. If I change my car, it'd be either a 7 with auto or a 5 with SMG for sure, but it'll be a lease instead of buying.
I'm still afraid of big repair bill for SMG failure after warranty expires.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

my mom has a 645i manual

That's hot.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, olivine green, beige interior, SMG, cold weather package, Sport package, Comfort access, Comfort seating, adaptive steering, Navigation

I actually drove a M5 c SMG. I bought a 550i SMG based on the M5. It is quite different. The biggest difference is the number of mode settings. I have up until this time always had a 5 or 6 speed. I was dubious at best on the SMG. This being said, I have to tell you, the SMG is the way to go. If you drive in the city and think the step is better might I suggest keeping the SMG in the autoshift mode. There is nothing like firing through a shift under full throttle in .1 seconds. I can speed shift without a clutch no problem. I can probably shift faster, but why? I'm telling you, while your hands and feet are workking the curves...it sure is nice to keep your hands on the wheel and shift with your fingers.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

The best is as Znod, said our Speedy DON, a Steptronic and if you like SMG paddles a kit to retrofit than you save some money too.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Steptronic + SMG paddles <> SMG!

( <> means "does not equal")

Quick Reply: 550 SMG or Manual ??