E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

550 SMG or Manual ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 05:25 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by hollywoodtrash' post='274122' date='Apr 25 2006, 08:23 PM
I'm planning to order an 07' 550 this week but I'm having trouble deciding between an SMG or 6-Speed. The guy who is selling me the car said that the SMG on the 5-series was completely different than the one from the new M5, and that it shifts horribly. I don't mind rough rides to a certain extent, but if it's that bad I would rather just have a 6-speed.

Does anybody with a current e60 SMG have any complaints with theirs? How does it shift?
Have you driven the M5 in order to make a good comparison?

The regular E60's SMGI is def not as advanced nor as fast as the M5's SMGIII, but its not "horrible". The M5 SMGIII and M3 SMGII in their fastest settings can feel even rougher than E60 SMGI.

You do have some control over how smooth the shifts are, by lifting off the throttle a bit, and this is true for every version of SMG. But any SMG can also feel like shotgun blasts if you're shifting at redline at full throttle and don't lift off.

If anything, the E60's SMGI is too smooth for me. I only test drove M3 SMGII and did not get a chance to test drive E60 SMGI before I ordered my car. I was very surprised at first at how smooth the E60 turned out to be. But don't expect it to be as smooth as an automatic or VW/Audi's DSG. If you assume it'll be rough compared to a manual, I think you may be pleasantly surprised.

Instead, your concern should be if SMG is involving enough for you, since it takes away the control of the clutch away from you, compared to a manual.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I let valet's park my SMG all the time.

The only thing I ever say to them before I leave the car is.... "be sure to park with the hand brake on."
Old 04-25-2006, 05:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Have you driven the M5 in order to make a good comparison?

The regular E60's SMGI is def not as advanced nor as fast as the M5's SMGIII, but its not "horrible". The M5 SMGIII and M3 SMGII in their fastest settings can feel even rougher than E60 SMGI.

You do have some control over how smooth the shifts are, by lifting off the throttle a bit, and this is true for every version of SMG. But any SMG can also feel like shotgun blasts if you're shifting at redline at full throttle and don't lift off.

If anything, the E60's SMGI is too smooth. But don't expect it to be as smooth as an automatic or VW/Audi's DSG. If you assume it'll be rough compared to a manual, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Your concern should be if SMG is involving enough for you, since it takes away the control of the clutch away from you, compared to a manual.

I have driven an M5 on the BMW Performance Center track.... so I have made the comparison. To be sure, the SMG on the M5 is more advanced.... mostly by the fact that it has more modes that can be selected. My 545i only has normal and Sport.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:31 PM
Members

Another point to note about the SMG transmission is that it seems to be the least reliable of the 3. I always see posts about people having problems with their transmission and how they lock up, and almost all the time they have the SMG box.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:32 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='274145' date='Apr 25 2006, 09:25 PM
I let valet's park my SMG all the time.

The only thing I ever say to them before I leave the car is.... "be sure to park with the hand brake on."
I live in Manhattan so I have to valet everyday. Sometimes more than once a day at difference garages. At first, I was concerned too when I first got my car, but now I don't even say anything to the attendents.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:35 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by joseyu' post='274151' date='Apr 25 2006, 09:31 PM
Another point to note about the SMG transmission is that it seems to be the least reliable of the 3. I always see posts about people having problems with their transmission and how they lock up, and almost all the time they have the SMG box.
Could be true, but keep in mind ppl only post a thread when something goes wrong. They never post a msg when something keeps working. I've never had a problem with SMG (yet).

I actually see more posts about Steptronic transmission "slam" than SMG lockups.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I think SMG may be risky if you plan to keep the car a long time (out of warranty) since the long-term reliability really hasn't been tested. Even with that risk, I love my SMG so much that I'd still probably buy an SMG if I were shopping for a long-term "keeper" car...
Old 04-25-2006, 05:37 PM
Contributors

I actually see more posts about Steptronic transmission "slam" than SMG lockups.
I'm in agreement.

I have had no SMG issues yet. And I've seen a million posts about Step Slam. (Even though I don't ever read them, or even know what Step Slam is... )
Old 04-25-2006, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='274156
I'm in agreement.

I have had no SMG issues yet. And I've seen a million posts about Step Slam. (Even though I don't ever read them, or even know what Step Slam is... )
The bigger difference though is that I don't think Step Slam causes someone to be stranded and forces them to tow the car in...
Old 04-25-2006, 05:42 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='274157
The bigger difference though is that I don't think Step Slam causes someone to be stranded and forces them to tow the car in...
True. That is one reason why I am leasing my car and planning on returning it at the end of the terms. I do not want to deal with SMG, among other things (iDrive, AS, ARS, etc), out of warranty...

Quick Reply: 550 SMG or Manual ??