E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

545i smg owners

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 09:48 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i w/SMG
Model Year: 2005
Engine: V8, 4.4
Default 545i smg owners

From what I can find, the 04-05 545i with an smg must be a rare combination? I am having a lot of trouble finding info on it, after spending hours upon hours online. If any fellow 545i smg owners are on here, please let me know!

I am having trouble finding answers to even the simplest questions such as, is there an smg relay in the 545i? Also, is there only 1 hood switch/sensor on the 545i? I know these sound like dumb questions, but I haven't been able to find the answers, so I thought I'd see if I could find anyone with first hand knowledge.

Thanks!
Old 03-29-2020, 12:13 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 545i SMG
Model Year: 2004
Engine: n62

HI, I am a proud owner of one of these as well. Mine is 4 of 04. I was also in the same boat as you are in..... I found most of my info from tearing this thing appart and searching to correct issues... I have found that there is indeed only one hood switch on these.... And yes there is a relay in the E-box under the hood... notorious "salmon colored relay" .. this is for the SMG pump. Not sure if you are having issues or just curious about your vehicle, but if you need any info, it would be nice to share feedback as I have yet to find anyone else that has one. I dont know if they are that rare or just not many of us owners are actually checking out forums looking for info, but you are correct, there is very little info to be found on the internet..... let me know if you need any other info.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:20 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i w/SMG
Model Year: 2005
Engine: V8, 4.4

Originally Posted by itsmeagain
HI, I am a proud owner of one of these as well. Mine is 4 of 04. I was also in the same boat as you are in..... I found most of my info from tearing this thing appart and searching to correct issues... I have found that there is indeed only one hood switch on these.... And yes there is a relay in the E-box under the hood... notorious "salmon colored relay" .. this is for the SMG pump. Not sure if you are having issues or just curious about your vehicle, but if you need any info, it would be nice to share feedback as I have yet to find anyone else that has one. I dont know if they are that rare or just not many of us owners are actually checking out forums looking for info, but you are correct, there is very little info to be found on the internet..... let me know if you need any other info.
I've learned quite a bit about mine and its definitely one of my favorite all time cars to drive! I had to replace my smg pump which wasnt to big of a project. I got to change the fluid while I was at it which was good also. Almost had a heart attack when I reconnected the battery and the pump didnt prime, but I learned that there is a fuse (green I think) in the wiring compartment on the passenger side of the car by the firewall that is for the smg pump. It was blown. When I put a new one in it fired the pump right up!

Same here....if you have any questions just ask me...I might be able to help.