E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

545i with SMG

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 10:50 AM
STRUNK30

Has anyone in the US had any success in ordering a 545i with SMG? I mean, have they actually ordered from BMW (through a dealer), not just put an order and/or deposit with a dealer who will then order it when it becomes available. My understanding is SMG is not yet available for US orders. Anyone? Thanks.
Old 09-08-2003, 03:14 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is still unclear when SMG will be available with 545i, as all sources (dealers, dealer order guide, dealer information guide) have inconsistent information. The best thing you can do is to talk to a dealer and see if an order can be put in to the ordering system. I suspect more info will be available in the next few weeks when salespeople come back from attending the new 5 training class.
Old 09-08-2003, 03:24 PM
STRUNK30

All three different dealerships salespeople I'm talking to have recently been to their new 5 series training classes and they still don't know. I guess we'll just have to wait and good things will come.
Old 09-08-2003, 09:57 PM
Deborah

Exclamation

I forgot, what is SMG again?
Old 09-08-2003, 10:47 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Deborah' date='Sep 8 2003, 10:57 PM
I forgot, what is SMG again?
Sequential Manual Gearbox.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:08 AM
CPCUguy

I have a 545i 6 speed ordered with the SMG transmission in the Philadelphia PA area. I was orginally told it would be October production for early November delivery. As soon as they entered the order into their ordering system it gave a prodcution number and an estimated production date of 11/14/2003. All this occurred mid August.

Today I received a call from the dealer telling me that due to the SMG option being ordered, my production date had been pushed back another two weeks. I probably won't see this car till 1/04.
Old 09-21-2003, 12:48 PM
Members

I think there may even be a bigger issue at play. It was the official UK launch here this week. My dealer told me that there were customers who ordered 6 months ago for delivery immediately after the Uk launch and were given a confirmed delivery date. Their cars are nowhere to be seen. These were standard 6sp vehicles. I doubt (with no good reason i know) that the demand is massively over that expected and must therefore presume some sort of limitation or difficulties with production. Who knows???
Old 09-21-2003, 02:54 PM
STRUNK30

I made contact with a BMWNA rep through my dealer. He said no orders have yet been accepted for any 545i with SMG. You cannot enter it into the ordering system. He said MAYBE in the next couple of weeks. A good indicator will be when the BUILD YOUR OWN option comes up on the BMWusa website.
Old 09-21-2003, 04:50 PM
visitor

Not exactly true. I have seen a vehicle order inquiry sheet noting order accepted at AG which definitely included the SMG option and option code. This is for a mid November production vehicle (545i).
Old 10-16-2003, 11:38 PM
RAC

Thumbs down

[FONT=Times][COLOR=blue]My greatest concern re: the SMG issue is which SMG version will be used in the new 545. W

Will it be the rubbish version found on the z4 or the more acceptable SMG found on the M3.

When slapping down 60K for a new vehicle it would be nice to know what you are getting into with regard to the trany.

Does anyone know what type of SMG will be incorporated into the new car.

Also what's with the runflat tires "not for use in winter conditions" any clues?

Quick Reply: 545i with SMG