E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545i reliablity after the warranty expires

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 11:20 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have just got rid of our 20 month old car after way to many problems.
In the UK after 3 years its a ?1000 a year to extend the warranty which in my eyes is a must and the cost represents the problems I think you will have with it once it's warranty runs out. A similar warranty on an Audi is half that price.
We are not in the 60's now, a car should drive well and be reliable. A drivers car so you have to pay the penalty! What a load of bollo***.
BMW are pretty crap from my 20 months and I won't be coming back.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i, Titanium Silver, Gray Leather, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Sound PKG, Cold PKG, STEP Tranny, Power sun shades, fold rear seats, rear seat heating, PDC, Nav

Originally Posted by SolanNo1' post='221625
What about purchasing extended warranty?? How does that play into your calculation??
Any idea how much the extended warranty costs? Is it a BMW deal? Or is it offered by the dealer?
[/quote]

I got my extended warrranty at my BMW dealer. I got it extended to 7 years/115K for ~$3000. I know a little heafty but its in the noise of total cost.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by hmc' post='221547' date='Jan 9 2006, 01:17 PM
Come on guys. Don't say go to Lexus if you want reliability. Poor reliability is not acceptable. There is no excuse, especially for premium cars. Period.

I think BMW should feel embrassed by some simple reliability issues and work on them at highest priority otherwise they will be ass kicked by Lexus (like GM has been kicked by Toyota)

BMW and BMW fans, NO ARROGANCE please.
Lower reliability may not be acceptable to you, but it IS acceptable for me.

There's a always a trade-off. Every car maker has x amount of time to engineer a car. Maybe Lexus engineers spend the majority of X time to make sure their cars will be reliable, while BMW engineers spend the majority of X time to make sure their cars will handle well. When I get a BMW, I expect it to have more problemsthan a Lexus, because I'm willing to trade some reliability for better performance. Do I wish BMWs could be more reliable, of course! But performance is of greater priority to me than reliability.

Let me put it this way: I forgive BMW for being less reliable because it is more fun to drive.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:16 PM
hmc
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i Sport Pkg, 6MT

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='221684' date='Jan 9 2006, 01:45 PM
Lower reliability may not be acceptable to you, but it IS acceptable for me.

There's a always a trade-off. Every car maker has x amount of time to engineer a car. Maybe Lexus engineers spend the majority of X time to make sure their cars will be reliable, while BMW engineers spend the majority of X time to make sure their cars will handle well. When I get a BMW, I expect it to have more problemsthan a Lexus, because I'm willing to trade some reliability for better performance. Do I wish BMWs could be more reliable, of course! But performance is of greater priority to me than reliability.

Let me put it this way: I forgive BMW for being less reliable because it is more fun to drive.
I agree there is a trade off. I am willing to take the risk of lower reliability for something new invented by BMW, such as Active Steering, especially in early production years.

Let's look at some problems in the 1st post: For example, I wouldn't be surprised/upset at some problems in Active Steerring because it's a new technology. But how about steering fluid leak (in X5)? front turn signal bulb ? condensation in the headlight assembly ? These are not leading edge technologies. I suspect it's not engineering/design problem, it's quality control problem.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='221245' date='Jan 8 2006, 08:53 PM
That being said, there is a reason BMW provides only a 4 year warranty. Believe you me, BMW has all sorts of engineers, mathematicians, actuaries, scientists, marketing gurus, budget and financial analysts, and mid-level paper pushers calculating the most cost effective warranty period. If BMW has deemed the cost-effective cut-off at 4 years, well that sure says something to me ...

What? You think so? I think if they "made a bunch of calculations" to figure out warranty time it would not be exactally 4 years... I think they chose 4 years cuz its just basically an expected industry standard for European cars or better yet German cars.

Are Japanese cars still 3 years right now? They might have moved it to 4 just to "compete" with European cars.

Anything and everything has a warranty cut off, just like electronics... you have to guarantee your product for a certain amount of time...
Old 01-09-2006, 06:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by arunp' post='221215
Every BMW I have owned has had its own individual quirks. All of them are resolvable with patience. They will also last for a good number of years if you take care of them. These are not automobiles for the guy who desires an every day driver like a Camry. Enjoy the car because nothing drives like it.
That a good point. I drive a Camry everyday and it gets beaten up. I drive the bimmer on weekends and a couple of weekdays per week. It is a car I enjoy driving for mostly pleasure. Care of your car and it will take care of you. Frankly, I can't comfortable compare a 5 er to a GS or an LS (price ranges). I see 5er as more of a performance four-door than a luxury one.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:07 PM
Members

I am not feeling too sure about getting an E60 after all this talk about lack of reliiability....