E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

545i Randomly Not Starting - no crank, no start

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 07:56 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i Sport Titanium Silver, Cold Weather, Sun Shades, Active Steering, K&N filter (Carbon Delete), CDV Delete), 18x8.5, 18x9.5 Beyerns, 5mm Rear Spacer, Smoked Side Markers (LED), 35% Tints/20% Rear, and a few other mods/add-ons. :) 1946 Willys Cj2a Chev.350/Th350/Dana 300. 39.5x16.5x15 Swamper Boggers, 15x12 Rock Crawlers, Custom Suspension, Custom Interior, Custom Everything! 400HP, 350Torque 2003 Ford F-350 XLT Lariat Super-Duty Powersttroke Diesel 8" lift, Racing Reservoir Shocks, 36x14.5x16.5 Swampers,16.5x12 Weld Typhoon Wheels, Tuner, Air Raid filter, Banks Wastegate, 4.5-5" Magnaflow Exhaust, MANY mods!

OK ... so about the no-start situation. The key activates the display and the tones. Everything else seems to work and the battery voltage is good. I am charging it as we speak anyway. The voltage at the battery (after trying to start it several times) was around 12.65V. I threw the charging box on it and it got up over 14v - tried to start it and nothing. The car never had a slow-start condition. When it starts, it runs fine.

All was fine, then one afternoon - no start! Started fine the next day and when I left work - then later that evening, no start again. The next morning no start, but when I got home from work - started fine. This afternoon it didn't start, then after 5 minutes it started fine again. Tonight - no start. Nothing changed. Weather almost the same, no rain, no electrical modifications, tried both keys .... what am I missing?

I did hear a click in the engine compartment with the hood open. I am a little new at diagnosing BMWs ... but I think that was the starter solenoid (or something else in the start circuit). I tried to start it several more times and then after about 5 minutes - not changing anything else - it started. I checked all the battery connections, and made sure they were all tight. I have no idea. I am thinking it's a defective starter or maybe a dead-spot on the windings or something. Maybe a bad starter solenoid - but something did click in the engine compartment. Anyway, this is frustrating as hell. Maybe there is another solenoid or part to a BMW starting circuit I am unfamiliar with?

I have a 2004 545i Sport 6-spd. Battery is good/charged. Foot is on the clutch pedal and depressed. All electronics seem to work and stay on as I ATTEMPT to start the car. iDrive is working. Stereo works.

Obviously the car is out of warranty. I have heard the starter repair job is very labor intensive. I like doing my own work, but really don't know all that is involved. Anyone actually do this repair themselves? I wish I had the 525 at this point! HELP!!
Old 08-04-2010, 08:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I'm wondering if its the clutch sensor going out so its not registering that you have depressed the clutch pedal when you want to start the car.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i Sport Titanium Silver, Cold Weather, Sun Shades, Active Steering, K&N filter (Carbon Delete), CDV Delete), 18x8.5, 18x9.5 Beyerns, 5mm Rear Spacer, Smoked Side Markers (LED), 35% Tints/20% Rear, and a few other mods/add-ons. :) 1946 Willys Cj2a Chev.350/Th350/Dana 300. 39.5x16.5x15 Swamper Boggers, 15x12 Rock Crawlers, Custom Suspension, Custom Interior, Custom Everything! 400HP, 350Torque 2003 Ford F-350 XLT Lariat Super-Duty Powersttroke Diesel 8" lift, Racing Reservoir Shocks, 36x14.5x16.5 Swampers,16.5x12 Weld Typhoon Wheels, Tuner, Air Raid filter, Banks Wastegate, 4.5-5" Magnaflow Exhaust, MANY mods!

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
I'm wondering if its the clutch sensor going out so its not registering that you have depressed the clutch pedal when you want to start the car.
That's a good thought ... is there any sort of 'click' that would be heard so I could find out if it's engaging or not? Is there a way to jump the connection to check for switch failure? Does anyone know if the clutch sensor is at the pedal (under the plastic shield) or is it a hydraulic sensor - (although I did not see any random sensors when I did the CDV delete)?

Thanks for the idea! I'll try to check it.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:29 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

Try to push start ur car. Or if the car is on a decline, let it roll so it picks up some speed. Make sure ur key is in and ignition on. Clutch in and put it in second gear while it's moving. Drop the clutch and quickly depress the clutch again. It ur car starts this way, ur starter is bad.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg
Try to push start ur car. Or if the car is on a decline, let it roll so it picks up some speed. Make sure ur key is in and ignition on. Clutch in and put it in second gear while it's moving. Drop the clutch and quickly depress the clutch again. It ur car starts this way, ur starter is bad.
No why would you do that? Unless you need to start the car to get it to the dealer to fix. I would try to fix it.

To the OG poster. take a look at this link:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94233

and this, although I didnt see the sensor referenced but I just glanced, you can take a closer look.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...89&hg=35&fg=05
Old 08-04-2010, 10:12 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Chinpokumon
That's a good thought ... is there any sort of 'click' that would be heard so I could find out if it's engaging or not? Is there a way to jump the connection to check for switch failure? Does anyone know if the clutch sensor is at the pedal (under the plastic shield) or is it a hydraulic sensor - (although I did not see any random sensors when I did the CDV delete)?

Thanks for the idea! I'll try to check it.

Yes there is a click sound, listen for it. you should be able to hear it.

See my link above and see if you can find a cheap replacement or maybe you can figure out how to bypass the switch to see if thats the problem.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:08 PM
Members

Great! I will try all the above!! Funny thing ... after the last time I posted, I went out and it started. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for why or when. I need to get to a hill. It's in my driveway now with a slight UP hill. Hmm, I'll try to figure something out.

Of course this has to happen when I have the appointment to get my 545 tinted tomorrow AM. Very nervous about the AM start and it looks like I won't be stopping for breakfast! I hope I can push it out of the shop's bay if it acts up at the tint place!

EBMCS03 - - thanks for the links!! I'll look at them in the AM as well.

I'd still like to hear from someone who changed their own starter on a 545i. I JUST had the lower plastics off and honestly didn't even SEE the starter. Not something I want to do/pay for!!
Old 08-06-2010, 10:52 AM
Members

OK....an update in case anyone else is having similar issues. I drove the car for over an hour yesterday to get the windows tinted (it started fine for the whole day). I was driving along - nothing out of the ordinary - the car stuttered and the increased emissions and dynamic stability lights came on. I limped it to the local BMW garage and they hooked up the Auto Logic box to it. It seems the crankshaft sensor and the thermostat were SHOT! I got the car under a month ago and the Auto Logic box stated the code for both had been reset 40 times!!! So, the bad crankshaft sensor is 100% responsible for the no starts. I am waiting for the dealership where I bought the car to make good on it (they said they would), due to the lights coming on while I was driving it home from being purchased. I was told to reset the lights and they did not re-pop until yesterday.

Soooo frustrating. I have no idea why the dynamic stability light preceeded the increased emissions, but it's happened twice that way.

I understand there were more codes triggered as well. I hope this all turns out well and I hope the dealership makes good on it. At least my new tinted windows look good! LOL
Old 08-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

I'd still make the machanic tell me the starter/solenoid checked out ok.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by Chinpokumon
I'd still like to hear from someone who changed their own starter on a 545i. I JUST had the lower plastics off and honestly didn't even SEE the starter. Not something I want to do/pay for!!

Look underneath the car near the back of the engine where the clutch housing is (before the transmission). The starter motor connects to the flywheel. You should also see a pretty large power wire connected to it (that may be LIVE if you don't disconect the battery first)

Quick Reply: 545i Randomly Not Starting - no crank, no start