E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

545i owners or any N62b44 owners

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 04:14 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i 6spd and 2000 Lexus GS300

Originally Posted by Rizbel
Coolant reservoir has been replaced, but not really a major hit on the wallet.

Still original and not a big deal if it breaks.

Water pump was also replaced, by yours truly, and again, not a major hit on the wallet (anything over a thousand bucks is)

Thanks for your concern
Lol mine sits a very little over 70k and I constantly check under the hood for any leakage. I'm so scared for something to come up. If I don't see any leak off the coolant resivoir could it just "burst" like some people claim? I had a 325i many years back and I remember it had a crack on the bottom of the resivoir and then it just bursted and dumped my coolant all over the freeway. Basically my question is will i have an idicator before it "breaks"?
Old 07-28-2013, 09:18 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by paran
Lexus' don't leak oil .
It is not just oil leaks. Lexus doesn't experience alternator, water pump, or vacuum pump failures nearly as often as BMWs, and there is no rule for Lexus' that the coolant system should be replaced at 70K miles. Read the JD Power three year reliability figures. NOTHING on a Lexus fails as often as it does on a BMW.

Are BMW engineers ignorant of what works best as a gasket material over the long term? To follow your logic, we would have to assume that BMW engineers are idiots vs their Japanese counterparts.
No, we don't have to assume that BMW engineers are idiots, just that they, like US engineers, have different priorities than Japanese engineers.

So, there must be an answer to this mundane question.

In 1998, the Green Party became a political force in Germany following the election of Social Democrats and its chancellor Gerhard Schroder. Recycling of cars and the bio-degradable aspect of its components became paramount. BMW prides itself on the "End-of-Life" impact to the environment for its cars.

That is why BMW's gasket are shit. Ditto for much of their interior components. Ever look inside of a BMW 7 series that is 7+ years old? There is peeling all over the place (buttons, side panels, anywhere vinyl or plastic is involved). That's on a $70K+ automobile.

So if BMW will allow a 7 series to peel like a banana on its visible interior components what do you think they will do with engine gaskets? BMW engineers were forced to focus on "end-of-life" recycling capabilities over reliability. Can it be recycled? Will it degrade in a landfill" That became the primary focus.
From correlation you are implying causation. Because gaskets leak, BMW engineers made some unfortunate choices on interior surface materials and there is a large push toward the use of biodegradable materials you postulate that it automatically follows that BMW was forced to use materials that fail.

If your rather casual cause and effect hypothesis is correct that BMW engineers are forced to use sub-standard gasket material because it is bio-degradable then all I am asking is that you educate the rest of us. For that important a compromise there must be some mention in automotive trade journals.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:38 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Klam1991
Lol mine sits a very little over 70k and I constantly check under the hood for any leakage. I'm so scared for something to come up. If I don't see any leak off the coolant resivoir could it just "burst" like some people claim? I had a 325i many years back and I remember it had a crack on the bottom of the resivoir and then it just bursted and dumped my coolant all over the freeway. Basically my question is will i have an idicator before it "breaks"?
For many, the first indication is failure of the float stick. The tank is a two piece unit with the two halves either chemically bonded or sonically welded. Mine failed the day I bought it and was driving the car back home. I noticed some white spots on one of the lower hoses earlier when I examined the car, but it didn't click in my head. Mine split right where the two halves are joined.

Murphy's law states that when you are leaving for an important appointment or going on a vacation you might notice the tank leaking slightly. Now you have to leave the car or risk driving it. Will you wait another 5K miles or 10K miles, or would you wait until it actually fails? Is holding on to the $60 a new tank costs worth the worry, or the cost of towing, or being on the road without tools?

Much better to choose your own battlefield. Order a new tank, read up on the DIY procedures, pick a nice day when you have time (and another car available to run for other part in case they are needed) and go at it.

TIP: If you are not replacing the vent tube (or know that it has been replaced before) then be very careful handling it. This plastic tube grows brittle and even gentle twisting can cause it to fail. I actually repaired mine using copper tubing and a couple of small clamps for a more permanent solution.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:28 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport

Gaskets. On BMW's, they degrade prematurely. Anybody going to dispute that? A few state that at 80k to 100k miles the replacing of your oil pan, valve cover, alternator bracket, coolant pipe o-ring, etc engine gaskets should be viewed as normal maintenance.

That is not normal if you come from the world of Japanese or most USA mfg'd vehicles. It simply isn't normal for these gaskets to degrade that quickly.

How about interior components on 7 series BMW's peeling after only 5 - 7 years of use. That's a $70k plus automobile that can look like hell on the inside within 7 years. I have the complete maintenance records on my 545i, and the previous owner had several interior pieces replaced due to peeling within 5 years.

No. That is not normal.

If you follow some of the people posting on this topic, they seem to be claiming that:

1. BMW is a performance vehicle, therefore it should have higher maintenance costs. Reality is that a 5 series BMW is a spirited family sedan; but certainly not a high performance vehicle. How many vehicles that are truly "high performance" operate with automatic transmissions?

2. Engine gasket failure and interior peeling of components is normal after 5 years.

3. BMW engineers are not as smart as Japanese, Korean, or USA based engineers.

My contention is that BMW engineers are FORCED into using biodegradable materials that result in a cleaner "End-of-Life" recycling process. This was brought about by the 1998 recognition of the Green Party in Germany following Gerhardt Schroeder's Social Democrat win.

"End of Life", and recycling of German vehicles in Germany is a huge concern for the Greens of Germany. The vehicle must be recyclable, or biodegradable, after its useful life is over. That includes the gaskets, interior components, fluid reservoirs, etc.

Sounds admirable; doesn't it? But it's not all "good", and owners of 5 year old plus BMW's know it. The "Carbon Footprint" of these repairs is huge. Far greater than a Japanese car that doesn't follow the same path. Draining fluids, discarding and replacing gaskets, doubles and triples the carbon footprint of a car that doesn't start out with degradable gaskets.

Yes, Big Brother can, and does, force automobile engineers to forego their own expertise in favor of political expediency. That happened in the USA under Obama taking over GM and Chrysler and in Germany.

How else does one explain the HORRENDOUS failure rate of engine gaskets on BMW's since the early 21st century? Add to that, the "peeling" issue with BMW interior components, rubber bushings etc.,.

Many simply claim it's "normal", but for those of us who've owned other brands, from other countries, we know that not to be the case.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:14 PM
New Members

Gaskets. On BMW's, they degrade prematurely. Anybody going to dispute that? A few state that at 80k to 100k miles the replacing of your oil pan, valve cover, alternator bracket, coolant pipe o-ring, etc engine gaskets should be viewed as normal maintenance.

That is not normal if you come from the world of Japanese or most USA mfg'd vehicles. It simply isn't normal for these gaskets to degrade that quickly.

How about interior components on 7 series BMW's peeling after only 5 - 7 years of use. That's a $70k plus automobile that can look like hell on the inside within 7 years. I have the complete maintenance records on my 545i, and the previous owner had several interior pieces replaced due to peeling within 5 years.

No. That is not normal.

If you follow some of the people posting on this topic, they seem to be claiming that:

1. BMW is a performance vehicle, therefore it should have higher maintenance costs. Reality is that a 5 series BMW is a spirited family sedan; but certainly not a high performance vehicle. How many vehicles that are truly "high performance" operate with automatic transmissions?

2. Engine gasket failure and interior peeling of components is normal after 5 years.

3. BMW engineers are not as smart as Japanese, Korean, or USA based engineers.

My contention is that BMW engineers are FORCED into using biodegradable materials that result in a cleaner "End-of-Life" recycling process. This was brought about by the 1998 recognition of the Green Party in Germany following Gerhardt Schroeder's Social Democrat win.

"End of Life", and recycling of German vehicles in Germany is a huge concern for the Greens of Germany. The vehicle must be recyclable, or biodegradable, after its useful life is over. That includes the gaskets, interior components, fluid reservoirs, etc.

Sounds admirable; doesn't it? But it's not all "good", and owners of 5 year old plus BMW's know it. The "Carbon Footprint" of these repairs is huge. Far greater than a Japanese car that doesn't follow the same path. Draining fluids, discarding and replacing gaskets, doubles and triples the carbon footprint of a car that doesn't start out with degradable gaskets.

Yes, Big Brother can, and does, force automobile engineers to forego their own expertise in favor of political expediency. That happened in the USA under Obama taking over GM and Chrysler and in Germany.

How else does one explain the HORRENDOUS failure rate of engine gaskets on BMW's since the early 21st century? Add to that, the "peeling" issue with BMW interior components, rubber bushings etc.,.

Many simply claim it's "normal", but for those of us who've owned other brands, from other countries, we know that not to be the case.
Agree with a lot of you points but theres still no hard evidence to conclude your claims.. so in the end ultimately just a correlational opinion. Not that theres anything wrong with that on a forum..

My nissan maxima leaks oil from hell. CV boots and what not are all shot. Whole cars suspension feels like its loose and broke.. not that I care to fix it because its my local beater.

Then again, i've owned a 350z that had zero problems in 60k miles. My e46 328i was by far the most problematic car i've ever owned (sold it at 80k miles) and had multiple suspension issues as well, and at lower mileage...

list of problems on the e46 i can remember
-intake camshaft sensor
-a/c sensor
-front control arm bushings
-rear shock mounts
-water pump
-multiple window regulators! #*$&!@#
-weird electronic issues with CEL lights

My e60 has had the typical bmw issues as well; timing cover gasket, front control arm bushings.. and a coolant pipe leak.. other than that I'm just paranoid it'll break. I'm at 72k miles now on the e60 and I understand you need to pay higher for bmw ownership. I'm fine with that.. for now

Guess i've come to terms that all bmws need control arm bushings and water pumps eventually.

one interesting thing to say about gaskets is maybe now the gaskets will start to last longer since bmw changed their oil change intervals to 10k miles for 2014 models.. only time will tell
until then these 15k miles on group III base oils are probably doing awesome gasket damage.

Last edited by jameshuang86; 07-29-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:45 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jameshuang86
Agree with a lot of you points but theres still no hard evidence to conclude your claims.. so in the end ultimately just a correlational opinion. Not that theres anything wrong with that on a forum..
Paran, this is my point.

BMW gaskets leak, but I don't hear anyone saying they disintegrate or just disappear. As I outlined previously, there are a lot of things that go into making a successful gasket system and the material is just one of many.

BMW is obviously very successful right now selling automobiles. Do they appear to be worried about poor gaskets, no matter what the reason?
NO, they are laughing all the way to the bank.

In my opinion they are putting their engineering resources into new highly technical innovations, and they just flat-out don't care if their engines leak, because it is not what they desire to be known for.

German engineers are MUCH more sophisticated and cutting edge than the Japanese engineers in the sense that they apply their engineering efforts towards more sophisticated systems. The Japanese are content to innovate or copy what they need to, but want to be known most for drop-dead reliability.

Example - Take the new F10 rear suspension. Observe the rear tires and you will see no negative camber. It is because they are now using a highly sophisticated active rear axle kinematic suspension that changes camber on the fly to match conditions, unlike the passive system on the E60, which starts negative and moves to zero under load to fight camber steer.

Look at how a UK warranty company rated car manufacturers for engine failures. If I were BMW I would be ashamed.
German cars lose out in reliability survey - Telegraph

Here is a car leasing firm discussing what cars they lease are most reliable. BMW is 25th on the list
Most reliable car. | Bowater Price Blog

This study, again by the UK warranty company goes back to 2006 and covered the most reliable used cars over a ten year period. Yes, you almost get to the very end of the list before you find the 5 series.
The 100 most reliable cars of the last decade (in order)

Again, I don't think the Germans are concerned as long as sale remain strong to customers who value performance and cutting edge technology more than reliability (especially those who lease).

But until I see hard proof, I consider the biodegradable gasket to be an urban legend.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:23 PM
New Members

I'm at 200K if that makes anyone feel any better.. 2004 545i.

I've had it about 30K miles now. Replaced the coolant valley pipe with a URO one, and changed most of the cooling system and the oil pressure switch.

Intermediate levers are out of spec and valve seals are going.. but I'm not messing with them right now
Old 07-30-2013, 12:04 PM
Members

I am sorry if your car is nothing but problems, but I am happy with mine. Not the first car in my life to have leaking gaskets, and certainly not the last one. With all due respect, I do not give a f$% if 545i is a leaker or even a squirter. I am willing to deal with problems like these, because in my opinion, for the money, I could not have bought a better car than 545. This is exactly why I bought it, and I was well aware I was getting a BMW (hence I tend to complain less now)

Thank you, and good luck with your car.

Drop that underbelly engine cover and then tell me if that thing is clean (only dusty) and dry. How about the suspension cross member? Is that dry?

You can avoid the leaks by simply ignoring them, but that doesn't mean they are not there. Stop by any BMW master mechanic and ask them if the 545i is a "leaker". Any BMW for that matter built since the early 21st century.

An engine leak in Chicago is a very good thing as engine oil is great for preventing rust. Scoop up some of that oil lying in the underbelly panel and spray it around the underside of the car. Oil is fantastic at combating salt related rust.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:04 PM
New Members

They certainly leak, no doubt about that

But not that big a deal to me. I really don't care if the entire outside of the engine is completely free of any trace of oil.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:03 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by krzyschicago
I am sorry if your car is nothing but problems, but I am happy with mine. Not the first car in my life to have leaking gaskets, and certainly not the last one. With all due respect, I do not give a f$% if 545i is a leaker or even a squirter. I am willing to deal with problems like these, because in my opinion, for the money, I could not have bought a better car than 545. This is exactly why I bought it, and I was well aware I was getting a BMW (hence I tend to complain less now)

Thank you, and good luck with your car.
I too went into 545i ownership with eyes wide open. And I can't imagine finding a car that gives a bigger Bang-For-The-Buck than the 545i. It drives like an absolute beast. Champagne performance on cheap-beer money!

Quick Reply: 545i owners or any N62b44 owners