E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545i No Bass on Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 08:49 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car is still with the BMW Agent. I was informed today that there are some "Serious" Electrical Issues that are being diagnosed. Will update tomorrow when I get the quote.

Sad thing about these great cars is that whenever it "bings" you can see your bank balance shrink.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:15 PM
Members

My Ride: '09 e60 n54 white/black

damn man that sucks, i ordered a new amp today off ebay, see if that fixes my 2 seconds bass off gaps .. *fingers crossed*
Old 11-27-2012, 11:57 PM
New Members

i have the same issue with mine. i have a 2008 550i. the bass would cut in and out. i checked the amp and it was super hot. i swapped it out same thing i went to the dealer and it turned out to be the ccc. i had that replaced and so far no issues ,luckly my wifes 2010 535 had warrenty and they swapped them out and didnt charge me.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:15 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by browncow
MVGL,
Any update on this? I have the same issue. I put in an AUX port so I had a chance to double check the connections, all look good. Also verified fuse 80 for the radio amplifier in trunk.

Local indy shop wants $107 per hour to run diagnostics but can't estimate how long it might take, 2-3 hours, maybe more. Wasn't too keen on just having them have the car just hooked up to the car without end and run an open-ended tab.
For you, are you aware that the aux port connects to the same connector that feeds the low level input to the amp in the boot? You cannot just buy an Aux port and expect it to work. You have to take the tyco pins out of the connector and insert them into the back of the connector that would go to the CCC's harness. Otherwise you will disconnect your amp. That is your issue. Take out the CCC and you will see you have unplugged the X block and put the one that came with the Aux cord....of course all of this is assuming you bough an OE aux cord and followed the SIB for it. If not, can't be of much help.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i All Black

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
For you, are you aware that the aux port connects to the same connector that feeds the low level input to the amp in the boot? You cannot just buy an Aux port and expect it to work. You have to take the tyco pins out of the connector and insert them into the back of the connector that would go to the CCC's harness. Otherwise you will disconnect your amp. That is your issue. Take out the CCC and you will see you have unplugged the X block and put the one that came with the Aux cord....of course all of this is assuming you bough an OE aux cord and followed the SIB for it. If not, can't be of much help.
Yes, my issue was a loose connection on one of the AUX pins. Reset those and now we are good to go with the auxilary input. Just wish the amp worked.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:41 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by browncow
Yes, my issue was a loose connection on one of the AUX pins. Reset those and now we are good to go with the auxilary input. Just wish the amp worked.
Did your problem occur before or after you put the aux cable in? If after then my answer is above. If before then check with a meter to make sure you're getting power to the amp on both power leads into the amp. So unplug the amp and check for power at the plug. You can also check the Left Right leads going into the amp, assuming you already checked the ones at the stereo. The stereo is responsible for putting out the levels so you can hook a speaker of any sort up to the amp's L+ and L- and see if you get anything. DO the same for the R+ R-. This is all assuming you get power. Also check the GND too. A search will tell you which colors are R and L.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:03 AM
New Members

Hi Guys,

Just to post some feedback with regards to my Issue, it turned out to be the Amp in the boot which was overheating as well as one of the subs under the seat. The Dealership quoted me a small fortune to have it replaced. Instead I went down the road to a reputable Sound Guy and he gave my good old 545i a new life with regards to the sound.

It is fantastic now although I lost some boot space for the 12" Sub Box but it was well worth it and cost less than a third of what BMW quoted me. He made no modifications to the car at all. A new four Channel Amp was installed in the boot as well as the Bass box and then he replaced the speakers in the doors with some decent Equipment.

I had the sound in now for just over four weeks and need to say good by to my good old faithfull as I have just purchased a 2008 E60 M5 SMG which I am collecting tomorrow morning. Can't wait
Old 02-07-2013, 02:55 PM
New Members

I had the same problem with my 2007 E60. I bought a replacement amp form Ebay and that got rid of the problem. The new amp has been installed for about 2 years now and still no issues.