E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545i engine vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 10:01 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by ttar' date='Apr 25 2005, 09:59 PM
[quote name='Hormazd' date='Apr 25 2005, 10:53 PM'][quote name='ttar' date='Apr 25 2005, 09:52 PM'][quote name='Hormazd' date='Apr 25 2005, 10:50 PM'][quote name='ttar' date='Apr 25 2005, 09:33 PM']I just got a new 2005 545i and I'm noticing the same vibration/shaking that's been mentioned here.? It's just enough to be annoying at idle, and in the 1200 -> 2500 range it's very noticible, but only when not moving.? When moving, the natural bumps in the road overpower the vibration, and it can't be felt.

I'm going in the dealer tomorrow and I'm going to get CIP 16.2 while I'm there.

Another dealer told me today that it was an emissions related problem that BMW was aware of, and that they were working on a software-fix for this problem that's supposed to be available in the next few weeks.? He said it was pending EPA approval, since it was an emissions related change.? It could be complete BS he made up to buy some time and deal with this issue another day...

What do you guys think?
[snapback]120088[/snapback]
My car is now as smooth as silk after the DME recall and CIP 16.1. No it sounds real.
[snapback]120095[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'm a newbie... What's the DME recall?
[snapback]120096[/snapback]
[/quote]

Emissions adjustments. Nothing major - all software related to engine managememt. Or in this case I guess it is major.
[snapback]120098[/snapback]
[/quote]

So does the update to 16.2 automatically (read: always) include the DME recall related fixes?
[snapback]120100[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yes. All updates are cumulative and bring your car up to same specs as those coming out of the factory.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545ia, Sports Pkg, Nav, Prem Sound, Cold Weather Package

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Apr 25 2005, 11:01 PM
Yes.? All updates are cumulative and bring your car up to same specs as those coming out of the factory.
[snapback]120101[/snapback]
Hormazd,

Thanks a lot for all your responses... I hope I can someday return the favor.

Last question -- would the DME recall apply to me? I noticed you have a 2004 -- I have a 2005. Did the DME recall apply to any 2005s? I can't find any definitive info on it.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:36 AM
Senior Members

welcome aboard, ttar !
Old 04-26-2005, 06:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by ttar' date='Apr 25 2005, 10:07 PM
[quote name='Hormazd' date='Apr 25 2005, 11:01 PM']Yes.? All updates are cumulative and bring your car up to same specs as those coming out of the factory.
[snapback]120101[/snapback]
Hormazd,

Thanks a lot for all your responses... I hope I can someday return the favor.

Last question -- would the DME recall apply to me? I noticed you have a 2004 -- I have a 2005. Did the DME recall apply to any 2005s? I can't find any definitive info on it.
[snapback]120102[/snapback]
[/quote]
I don't know. This particular recall was in January. I do not know when your car was built. But you have problems and I would say that justifies a software upgrade. Just go in and insist on it. Show the mechanic the problem.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by ttar' date='Apr 25 2005, 09:33 PM
I just got a new 2005 545i and I'm noticing the same vibration/shaking that's been mentioned here.? It's just enough to be annoying at idle, and in the 1200 -> 2500 range it's very noticible, but only when not moving.? When moving, the natural bumps in the road overpower the vibration, and it can't be felt.

Another dealer told me today that it was an emissions related problem that BMW was aware of, and that they were working on a software-fix for this problem that's supposed to be available in the next few weeks.? He said it was pending EPA approval, since it was an emissions related change.? It could be complete BS he made up to buy some time and deal with this issue another day...

What do you guys think?
I went and tested another 545i 6-speed at a dealer near LAX when I returned from a trip. It has similar vibrations point, although it may not be as bad.

So, according to all of my research, talking with the BMW rep.... this is what I have found and my suggestions:

The V-8 will have harmonics which are more noticeable than the 6 cyl. Further, these harmonics will be more noticeable on a manual, where as almost undetectable for an automatic.

I see them possibly at idle, 1250, slightly at 1400 and then anywhere between 1900 - 2250. It should be noted that this engine is remarkable smooth over the E39-540.

The problem is I don't know for sure. So, far BMW has checked the accy's, changed the harmonic balancer, changed the flywheel and run a full diagnostic test.

The next thing BMW wants to check is the crank numbers by pulling off the oil pan. Not sure if I will go through that. I was hoping to test another one at Bimmerfest in Santa Barbara, but the opportunity did not arrise.

There is another 545i 6 speed that will arrive at a dealer near me next month. I am going to test it and see how it feels.

I wished when I noticed the problem in the first place that I had someone to tell me that this is normal or not. It would have saved me from them pulling all kinds of things apart.

Again, gut feel is that this is just a characteristic of the engine. I am going to test another car and then let everybody know. Chances are I will not have any results for another month.

In the meanwhile, I am holding off on further mods, such as exhaust upgrades, air and chip until I figure this out.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:51 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jsal' date='Apr 26 2005, 07:07 AM
[quote name='ttar' date='Apr 25 2005, 09:33 PM']I just got a new 2005 545i and I'm noticing the same vibration/shaking that's been mentioned here.? It's just enough to be annoying at idle, and in the 1200 -> 2500 range it's very noticible, but only when not moving.? When moving, the natural bumps in the road overpower the vibration, and it can't be felt.

What do you guys think?
I went and tested another 545i 6-speed at a dealer near LAX when I returned from a trip. It has similar vibrations point, although it may not be as bad.

So, according to all of my research, talking with the BMW rep.... this is what I have found and my suggestions:

The V-8 will have harmonics which are more noticeable than the 6 cyl. Further, these harmonics will be more noticeable on a manual, where as almost undetectable for an automatic.

I see them possibly at idle, 1250, slightly at 1400 and then anywhere between 1900 - 2250. It should be noted that this engine is remarkable smooth over the E39-540.

The problem is I don't know for sure. So, far BMW has checked the accy's, changed the harmonic balancer, changed the flywheel and run a full diagnostic test.

The next thing BMW wants to check is the crank numbers by pulling off the oil pan. Not sure if I will go through that. I was hoping to test another one at Bimmerfest in Santa Barbara, but the opportunity did not arrise.

There is another 545i 6 speed that will arrive at a dealer near me next month. I am going to test it and see how it feels.

I wished when I noticed the problem in the first place that I had someone to tell me that this is normal or not. It would have saved me from them pulling all kinds of things apart.

Again, gut feel is that this is just a characteristic of the engine. I am going to test another car and then let everybody know. Chances are I will not have any results for another month.

In the meanwhile, I am holding off on further mods, such as exhaust upgrades, air and chip until I figure this out.
[snapback]120227[/snapback]
[/quote]

Jsal and ttar,
I tested the vibration points a couple of weeks ago and found the same points in the RPM curve that you and Wolverine reported. I tested again this morning and they are gone!. CIP 16.1 has made some significant improvements to the 545s smoothness.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:07 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Apr 26 2005, 09:51 AM
Jsal and ttar,
I tested the vibration points a couple of weeks ago and found the same points in the RPM curve that you and Wolverine reported.? I tested again this morning and they are gone!.? CIP 16.1 has made some significant improvements to the 545s smoothness.
[snapback]120284[/snapback]
Mine is in the shop now. I'll let you guys know what happens.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Hormazd,

Very interesting info on the smoothness related to 16.1. I will look into that - Thanks.

ttar,
let us know what happens when you get your car back.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:37 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jsal' date='Apr 26 2005, 11:08 AM
Hormazd,

Very interesting info on the smoothness related to 16.1.? I will look into that - Thanks.?

ttar,
[snapback]120331[/snapback]
They called this afternoon and said they wouldn't have it ready until Wednesday.... the service advisor didn't know any status, other than stating that it is being worked on.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by ttar' date='Apr 26 2005, 08:37 PM
[quote name='jsal' date='Apr 26 2005, 11:08 AM']Hormazd,

Very interesting info on the smoothness related to 16.1.? I will look into that - Thanks.?

ttar,
[snapback]120331[/snapback]
They called this afternoon and said they wouldn't have it ready until Wednesday.... the service advisor didn't know any status, other than stating that it is being worked on.
[snapback]120577[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ya I wouldnt expect anything less than 2 days...

Quick Reply: 545i engine vibration