E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545 occasional hesitation starting the engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 12:32 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phlfly
it may be absolutely normal,because may be the DME is recording someting during that start so it takes longer so starter disengage late. So the noise is coming from starter.
Weird that over 37 months of ownership of this car, it's only happened in months 35-37.

It doesn't sound to me like a starter noise. I've heard starter noises back in the late 80s when I had cheap crappy cars. I haven't heard a starter noise for the last 15 years at least though. Since it all went fly-by-wire with the starting, it's hard to get anything wrong.

It seems to me like the DME is sometimes finding some condition that it needs to work around by adjusting fuel, revs to make it start which in the normal starts it doesn't have to try so hard. That's why I can buy it that I should either leave the ignition on a few seconds before turning the key (to ensure all systems are fully up and running and not still in their initializing state), and/or leaving the key in the start position a bit longer (to ensure I'm not removing power from a system before it's completed it's contribution to the engine starting process.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

Good news to report...

My engine was always stuttering on idle, I can see the RPM fluctuate ever since I bought the car back in April 2011. So I followed the advice regarding changing the spark plugs. I got that done today along with an air filter change.

WOW!!!!! all hesitation and stuttering gone. The engine now prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs like a baby kitten And I noticed a big difference in power and response as well. Well worth the money!

So it looks like I had bad plugs, but now... all I can say is wow, my V8 is back in business!

Thanks folks and may you have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Old 12-23-2011, 06:16 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 BMW 530I

I have read the threads and it can come from a number of things. Air filter, fuel filter, MAF, or plugs. I would not think its the starter because a bad starter that is barely turning will have a hesitation but still start until its becomes dead. I would take it in to see if any codes are stored first then go from there. Keep us posted.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:44 AM
Members

My car is having the exact same issue. The video you posted clarifies the same symptom.

Whenever it has a "bad" start, the car always starts but there is that slight hesitation as you mentioned in your video.

Perhaps I will mention this to the mechanic next time I have the car in for service. Your video will definitely help explaining the problem. So thank you for posting it.

In the meanwhile, if anyone can pinpoint what the issue is, it would be very helpful.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:32 PM
Members

My Ride: 1) 2004 BMW 530IAlpine WhiteLuxury PackageNavigation 2) 2009 Range Rover Sport Supercharged

Hey guys, ive been having the same prob for the past 2 months. Yesterday was the first time the car actually didn't start. I cranked it a good 10 times and all I heard was a simple click but no engine start. I kept trying until it finally started. I was thinking it's the starter guaranteed because like I mentioned I would just get a click when turning the key all the way. Anyways, I'm taking it to the shop on Monday. My car has 63k miles.....and from I know needs an oil change and a micro filter change.

I'm skeptical that a spark plug change will fix the prob. Anyone have an idea how much it will cost to have the starter fixed if thats the problem?
Old 12-24-2011, 07:52 PM
Members

Originally Posted by snadir
Hey guys, ive been having the same prob for the past 2 months. Yesterday was the first time the car actually didn't start. I cranked it a good 10 times and all I heard was a simple click but no engine start. I kept trying until it finally started. I was thinking it's the starter guaranteed because like I mentioned I would just get a click when turning the key all the way. Anyways, I'm taking it to the shop on Monday. My car has 63k miles.....and from I know needs an oil change and a micro filter change.

I'm skeptical that a spark plug change will fix the prob. Anyone have an idea how much it will cost to have the starter fixed if thats the problem?
In your case its probably the starter, but in everyone elses its more of like a delayed start or extended cranking time.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 1) 2004 BMW 530IAlpine WhiteLuxury PackageNavigation 2) 2009 Range Rover Sport Supercharged

Thanks for the input....I guess there is chance that everyone's delayed start is an early symptom for maybe a starter problem.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:22 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 BMW 530I

For the starter to be replaced it cost me $388 under goodwill. Meaning they priced it under warranty. The vehicle wasnt under warranty I just made a little fuse after the second time being there and they gave it to me for that price. I would imagine if not under warranty around $600