E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545 - HESITATION OFF IDLE

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 08:26 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i: Silver Grey Metallic | Sports Package | | Cold Weather Package | Navigation | Tinted Windows | Adaptive Headlights | Heated rear seats| 166 rims| Matte black kidney grills| Interior: Angel Eyes, LED license plate bulbs, HID fogs, Interior LED

Thanks for the info..... I will try the reset tonight.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Also you can turn or DTC and DSC for a little more fun...just not when it's too slippery out!
Old 04-07-2009, 01:22 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i sport

Originally Posted by Brit_in_NJ' post='839163' date='Apr 7 2009, 09:29 AM
Also you can turn or DTC and DSC for a little more fun...just not when it's too slippery out!
I have an 05 545i as well and was very frustrated with this problem. It makes the car impossible to drive smoothly in stop and go traffic. My solution was the sprint booster. It absolutely cures the problem. There is a trade-off however. Now the car is almost too responsive especially to other drivers in my car. Also, it is very difficult to break smoothly with the sprint booster. I find that I definitely have to depress the break harder and longer to get the car to stop now, and it feels like the gas pedal is still being pushed just a little.
But it does solve the problem. Also I rarely need to put the car into sport mode anymore because the shifts are much better. IF you get a sprint booster read all the threads about installation problems 1st so that you don't do it wrong and set off your engine malfunction light like I did. Still need to get rid of that.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:34 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by Brit_in_NJ' post='839163' date='Apr 7 2009, 12:29 PM
Hehehe, I have never fully turned off DSC after I almost wrecked my sisters' car when I was 15
Old 04-08-2009, 09:12 AM
Members

Originally Posted by earossi' post='833513' date='Apr 1 2009, 08:13 PM
I'm still trying to get used to my new/used 2005 545. There is a hesiitation/stumble coming off the line just as you hit the gas. Car idles fine and has loads of power once the engine begins accelerating. But, it is annoying to feel that hesitation. It's almost as though the accelerator pedal is not attached.....I begin pushing down....and nothing....then as I push further the engine suddenly begins to accelerate rapidly. Makes it difficult for a smooth takeoff from a light. Is there a sensor or solenoid that controls fuel delivery that could be causing this?

I OWN SAME YEAR AND MODEL. HAD SAME PROBLEM. TOOK IT TO BMW DEALER AND DESCRIBED SAME AS YOU. THEY TOOK MY CAR AND RECONFIGURED THE MEMORY PART OF CPU THAT DICTATES TO THE TRANSMISSION. IT TOOK A FEW HOURS BUT CAR DEFINATLEY REACTS DIFFERENTLY NOW. UP SHIFTS AND DOWN SHIFTS IN A MORE LOGICAL PROGRESSION. NOT PERFECT BUT IMPROVED. TECH SAID THEY GET THIS COMPLAINT OFTEN. MY CAR WAS STILL UNDER WARENTEE SO THERE WAS NO COST. CANNOT HURT TO ASK..........................
Old 04-08-2009, 09:21 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='833627' date='Apr 1 2009, 10:42 PM
Reset the transmission, and then get into the habit of doing it once a week! (That's what I do!!)
You still do that ?

I though you got a new tranny?
Old 04-08-2009, 09:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Sport Package, Jet Black M166 OEM Wheels M5 Style Body kit RPI Scoop BMC Air Filter Valentine One Radar Detector 35% tint all around

From all the threads i read so far i came to a conclusion that all 2005 545i have this problem. transmission feels different somehow. i think there is nothing else we can do, just do the transmission reset, software update (which helps too), keep fuel system clean and get used to it.

may be part of the reason is because adaptive transmission is always learning (even after reset) and everyday it feels like a different one. So 25 sec trick every week and it should be better - my opinion
Old 04-08-2009, 10:05 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='840538' date='Apr 8 2009, 01:21 PM
You still do that ?

I though you got a new tranny?
LOL! for some reason puck doesn't seem like a guy who's into trannys' but he might surprise us
Old 04-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Members

I have a late 2004 545i and was about to post the same sort of issue. A slight hesitation on light throttle...nothing then it picks up when you apply a little more pressure. Very irritating as I like to have a smooth drive when I am in traffic and round town.

I tried the throttle reset but did not notice any difference, maybe I need to go to a dealer to get the ECU upgraded?
Old 04-08-2009, 01:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

I don't know what to say BUT you guys on this forum are AMAZING! I drove my 545i for a year and I did not want to ad a Sprint booster, eventually I convinced myself that this is the way the car accelerates until this morning when I reseted the Tranny. Wow what a difference! It's like I unleashed this wild horse and cannot stop it. Thanks Again....

Originally Posted by JamesD' post='840597' date='Apr 8 2009, 02:07 PM
I have a late 2004 545i and was about to post the same sort of issue. A slight hesitation on light throttle...nothing then it picks up when you apply a little more pressure. Very irritating as I like to have a smooth drive when I am in traffic and round town.

I tried the throttle reset but did not notice any difference, maybe I need to go to a dealer to get the ECU upgraded?

Quick Reply: 545 - HESITATION OFF IDLE