E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

535i vs. 550i horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

n54tech is basically jb3 country.....e90posts is a mix between all tuner companies....

also, Dinan price does come with a warranty, unlike the other alternatives...

yes, it is suggested to remove the jb3 from your ecu prior to service
Old 11-19-2010, 03:00 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

http://shoprpi.com/product_info.php?...f7912961ddc2f0

Michael
Acute Performance
Old 11-19-2010, 06:02 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NYGOLF
The www.n54tech.com website is very helpful and it sounds like most are using the JB3 at www.burgertuning.com.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but do you have to remove the upgrades (JB3) when you take your car in for service?

@ Corey, there are some comparisons between the Dinan and the JB3, and I am sure there is some bias, but for the price it sounds like the JB3 gives you more performance. Based on what you said above about your HP, I don't know if I agree because it sounds like you've significantly improved your HP.

Stock HP is about 280? JB3 says it adds about 80 HP on 91 octane. You're quoting much more HP... Is that because of the exhaust and other mods you have? Whats the net HP for just the chip or ECU re program?

Thanks.
Not to be a jerk, but it sounds like corey is just guessing at his power. You would really need dyno numbers to see actual gains.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:37 PM
Members

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
n54tech is basically jb3 country.....e90posts is a mix between all tuner companies....

yes, it is suggested to remove the jb3 from your ecu prior to service
+1.........n54tech pretty much all JB3. E90post is a wealth of info for all the tunes. Procede and JB3 are the 2 available piggybacks. The GIAC, Dinan, ESS are the more well known flash tunes. The GIAC seems to be very popular as far as the flash tunes. It is not detectable at the dealer though you face a chance of it being overwritten by BMW if your car goes in for any software updates, HPFP issues. Most GIAC dealers will reflash it for you free first time and up to 1 hrs labor after that. Lots of brand loyality between the Procede and JB3 in the E90post forum so you have to kinda sift between whats fact and whats just tuner war there. Lots of very strong opinions there. That being said I am also considering either the GIAC if I go flash or the Procede or JB3 if I go piggyback. Obviously if you go with the Procede or JB3 you will want to remove it for sure before taking your car in for any warranty work. Both units come with code clearing technology. The Dinan does have the advantage of the Dinan warranty but IMHO it is way overpriced compared to the other tunes.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:47 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd go with a JB3 tune for a nice horsepower increase. The JB4 tune is coming out soon which will also add the option to delete any type of error codes that may show before taking your car into service. This is a scanner that comes included and is great to avoid any type of warranty issues, all you would need to do after deleting error codes is just un-install the piggyback. There is also an upgrade Terry the maker of JB3 is selling once the JB4 is released to add on to your existing JB3 if you do not wish to purchase a JB4 that will delete error codes as well, from what he says that scanner for the JB3 will retail around $75-85.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Car

Originally Posted by tuffluck
Not to be a jerk, but it sounds like corey is just guessing at his power. You would really need dyno numbers to see actual gains.
These are manufacturer claims, not guesses. Dinan's stage 2 software is advertised as bumping up the stock from 300 HP to 384 HP and 421 lb/ft of torque. The Dinan exhaust adds 6 HP and 5 lb/ft of torque. This is at 91 octane. I use 93. The RPI scoop is advertised as a 5-7 HP gain. I have not dyno'd my car and probably never will. You're not being a jerk, I would ask all the same questions if I was shopping for this right now as well.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

I would love to see solid proof that a scoop adds any additional HP at all. 5-7 HP is wishful thinking IMO from a simple scoop that can really be made out of anything. Quoting manufactures numbers is a far cry from real world dyne results.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:18 PM
Members

Originally Posted by corey
These are manufacturer claims, not guesses. Dinan's stage 2 software is advertised as bumping up the stock from 300 HP to 384 HP and 421 lb/ft of torque. The Dinan exhaust adds 6 HP and 5 lb/ft of torque. This is at 91 octane. I use 93. The RPI scoop is advertised as a 5-7 HP gain. I have not dyno'd my car and probably never will. You're not being a jerk, I would ask all the same questions if I was shopping for this right now as well.

Corey
Do you have a pic of your scoop installed?
Old 11-20-2010, 09:53 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Originally Posted by mookish
I would love to see solid proof that a scoop adds any additional HP at all. 5-7 HP is wishful thinking IMO from a simple scoop that can really be made out of anything. Quoting manufactures numbers is a far cry from real world dyne results.
Either way it is just a gauge as to the amount of power you could expect. Dynos do the same, one dyno to the next will give you different results. As for power received from a scoop it is hard to replicate the amount of ram air you would get on a dyno. I'm sure the 5-7 is at peak not across the board, just like the tunes.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by corey
i think one of the biggest things with a dyno also is just seeing how much your car produces stock. it is different across the board and the manufacturer's ratings can often be off significantly. my rated 300-hp Z28 produced 360-hp stock when i dyno'd it on 3 straight runs. that plus the expectation of power increases from mods might shock you a little as far as the final power your car actually puts down.

you should totally dyno! it is cheap and good useful info, especially for someone that has modded their car with a chip and have others asking the results.

Quick Reply: 535i vs. 550i horsepower