E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

535i vs. 550i horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 01:55 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Corey-
What is your 535 rated at for performance now (after the Dinan upgrades)?

Thanks.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
tunes tend to run "invisible", meaning they do not trip manipulation/shadow codes that could void your warranty. For a little extra peace of mind you could invest in a scanner which can read and delete codes, it plugs into your OBD...very user friendly...The scanner (BT cable or BMS scan tool) would be a suggestion for both piggybacks and tunes......

a lot of these topics have been discussed here and on e90posts and n54tech.com often...some time researching will be worth it for you, as there a good number of options out there for you and your N54 engine..

good luck...

This is helpful, thank you.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:07 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by corey
I have a Dinan tune and brought my car in to my local dealer (also same folks where I bought the car from) for some work and they flat out told me anything needed would be out of my pocket because they saw it was flashed. They detected it by looking at the torque map, so code delete may not necessarily work any longer. I brought the car to the Dinan-authorized dealer and they had the car back to me very quick, with nothing out of pocket of course. While other flashes may be cheaper and easier (ie - piggyback) losing that factory warranty would be insane (to me) with repair costs as high as they can be for our cars. I'm glad I paid the additional $$ for the peace of mind with a Dinan/BMW dealer.
dumb question but the bmw dealer that wasn't dinan authorized gave you shit, but the dinan authorized dealer fixed it without a problem? very interesting.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by tuffluck
dumb question but the bmw dealer that wasn't dinan authorized gave you shit, but the dinan authorized dealer fixed it without a problem? very interesting.
why would it not be that way?

the non dinan dealership knew it had a tune, therefore did not want to do the warranty work

the dinan dealership knows that dinan provides it's own warranty, so they did the work....

seems pretty straight forward
Old 11-19-2010, 02:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Car

Originally Posted by NYGOLF
Corey-
What is your 535 rated at for performance now (after the Dinan upgrades)?

Thanks.
With the tune, exhaust, and RPI scoop probably somewhere around 390-400 hp and ~425 ft lb of torque. You will definitely not be bored with it
Old 11-19-2010, 02:23 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
why would it not be that way?

the non dinan dealership knew it had a tune, therefore did not want to do the warranty work

the dinan dealership knows that dinan provides it's own warranty, so they did the work....

seems pretty straight forward
if dinan pairs with bmw at one dealer, then that means they are working in unison. so why wouldn't all bmw dealers honor that collaboration? that is my question.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:26 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

Dinan products are not covered under warranty by BMW Dealerships they are covered by Dinan. So if you install a tune/aftermarket part and something happens to your car, the BMW dealership can refuse to work on your car, but Dinan will cover the costs.

Essentially your car's warranty (relating to the Dinan mods) is now covered by Dinan not BMW.

Hope that clears up the confusion.

Michael
Acute Performance
Old 11-19-2010, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
Dinan products are not covered under warranty by BMW Dealerships they are covered by Dinan. So if you install a tune/aftermarket part and something happens to your car, the BMW dealership can refuse to work on your car, but Dinan will cover the costs.

Essentially your car's warranty (relating to the Dinan mods) is now covered by Dinan not BMW.

Hope that clears up the confusion.

Michael
Acute Performance
^this
Old 11-19-2010, 02:58 PM
Members

The www.n54tech.com website is very helpful and it sounds like most are using the JB3 at www.burgertuning.com.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but do you have to remove the upgrades (JB3) when you take your car in for service?

@ Corey, there are some comparisons between the Dinan and the JB3, and I am sure there is some bias, but for the price it sounds like the JB3 gives you more performance. Based on what you said above about your HP, I don't know if I agree because it sounds like you've significantly improved your HP.

Stock HP is about 280? JB3 says it adds about 80 HP on 91 octane. You're quoting much more HP... Is that because of the exhaust and other mods you have? Whats the net HP for just the chip or ECU re program?

Thanks.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:59 PM
Members

Originally Posted by corey
With the tune, exhaust, and RPI scoop probably somewhere around 390-400 hp and ~425 ft lb of torque. You will definitely not be bored with it

What is the RPI scoop?

Quick Reply: 535i vs. 550i horsepower