E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

535i reviews?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 06:11 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am coming out of a 335 coupe, and looking seriously at the 535 with sport package.

If you have been driving one for a significant amount of time I would like to hear about it. Reliability, acceleration, handling, comfort, anything you could comment on.

I know I could search for this, but I did not want to read tons of 535 vs 550 post. I would also only like to hear from actual 535 owners.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:21 AM
Members

I got mine abt 3 weeks ago
I am very happy with it
No issues
its VERY fast compared to what i expected (owned an 02 M3 as well)
Its good on the gas
Im happy with it and plus I have all my e60 buddies
here
Old 06-13-2008, 06:33 AM
Senior Members

The 535 is a great car. I took delivery of mine in November. Prior to the 535, I had a Audi S4 (V8) with manual transmission and a BMW 330Ci with manual transmission. I did have some concerns going for a NA V8 to a TT 6, but I could not be happier with the 535. The acceleration is great and feels just as fast as the S4. The handling, comfort, and balance of the car is significantly better than the S4. I drove the 335 and, at this point in my life, it just felt too cramped and I was not at all impressed with the interior of the 3 series. The 535 is a very good mix of performance, style, and comfort.
That being said.... must haves are the sports pkg and manual transmission IMO.
Good luck with your decision.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:52 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

I've had mine for about 3 months now. I really like it a lot. Great highway cruiser. I needed a bigger car than my R32, but still wanted something sporty. Looked at 135, and 335, ended up getting a great deal on a feb 08 build 535 sport pack. The 535's have not been out all that long ( my 08 was the first year for them)

Some people have had issues with High pressure fuel pump failures ( think its indicative of the N54 motor not just 535),a also there have been some issues with the injectors/ and spark plugs, but from what I have read so do the 335 and 135's.
I have yet to hear of oil cooling issues like the early 335 non sport pack cars ( most likely because the 535's have a Heavy duty aux oil cooler).

The highway gas mileage is awesome ( I get in the low 30's at 80mph) , but city it is in the high teens (18-19). It goes up a lot on my car when the a/c is not on ( I live in Ala so it 's on a lot).

The car is deceptively fast for how big it is, BMW still has yet to post 0-60 times for the sport auto tranny included with the sport package, but lets say 5.6 or below would be a good guess. It realy picks up steam after 50mph.

The option list is huge so you could hae one car that is 50k or another the is in the upper 60's if you go for every thing including the Mtech body parts.

The comfort seats that are part of the Sport package are some of the best seats out there ( I think 20 way power driver and passenger). The ipod connection is pretty decent for an OEM ( but $400 for that option). A lot of owners like the HUD , NAV, and Night vision, but all are very expensive and you have to get the Nav to get the other 2. I would HIGHY recommend getting the PDC, The car is very big and I truly regret not getting it. if you need the room Fold down rear seat are nice , as is the power rear sun shade if you live in the deep south and have a dark interior. Logic 7 is kinda up to you. I like the base sound system , since all I listen to is sports talk radio and the weather band. If you are in to music it may be a worth wile investment.

The 535i's have the larger brakes form the 550's , and the Sport package has the 124 style rims with run flats. A lot of people don't like the run flats. I don't mind them. But I will be getting another set or rims with performance summer tires. The sport package also comes with a donut spare in the trunk ( I think most e60's do in the USA). The sport package has the active sway bars on it to. If you have not drive a Sport package 5, you should on but twistys and the highway to make sure you are ok with the active sway bars. Same goes for Active stearing, Some sware by it some could not tell a difference between it and the normal one.

idrive on every e60, so better get used to it if you did not have it on your e92.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:57 AM
Members

My Ride: E53 E60 E92

Originally Posted by chrisgene' post='601849' date='Jun 13 2008, 10:11 AM
I am coming out of a 335 coupe, and looking seriously at the 535 with sport package.

If you have been driving one for a significant amount of time I would like to hear about it. Reliability, acceleration, handling, comfort, anything you could comment on.

I know I could search for this, but I did not want to read tons of 535 vs 550 post. I would also only like to hear from actual 535 owners.
Reliability is par with 335i, same concern as well, like fuel pump.
Get sport auto trans if you don't want manual, the D-mode is OK around town but the sport auto is beast. The sport auto has some quirks, for me turning in slowly into steep incline there is "bump" (like hard downshifting).
Handling, don't compare it to 335i, this is bigger car and suspension is taylored to more cushion. I drove 335i sedan and it definitely more nimble.
Comfort, no problem, it's roomier and sport suspension, comfort seat, rear shade is just great for longer trips.

I'll go out on the limb and said I tested S6 V10 AUdi and came away with 535i (yes the Audi is in different class with V10 Gallardo engine, the exhaust note is what I am missing, but feels heavy and acceleration is no better once you put any mod on 535i). It's hard to talk my wife out of red S6 though
Old 06-13-2008, 07:16 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 M5 Saphire - All available options 2006 530i Mystic Blue - All available options for 06 2004 Ford Expedition - Boat hauler.

I've had my 535i since Feb and it's a great ride and a significant improvement over the 06 530 that we also have and love. I think BMW softened the sport suspension a bit with the latest refresh and I cant say that i'm a fan of it. To reiterate what jmsod say's below, the 535 is a good mix of performance, style and comfort...and I dont see many of them around where I live.

The acceleration is obviously what drove me to make the purchase and this time around I got the comfort seats which are like butter compared to our 06 530i. The handling is great but as I mentioned above BMW has softened the sport up a bit...

Must have options: Sport w/sport tranny, Premium pkg, active steering, comfort access, rear airbags (c'mon you spend this much money on a car you can affored an extra $385 to increase rear passenger safety), PDC, NAV,Logic 7, Sirius Radio and USB adapter.

I have the HUD and Active Cruse in my 06 530i but not in the 535i and i really dont miss them when im switching between the two cars. IMO they are not worth the extra $$$

Go get yourself one today so you can enjoy it this weekend!
Attached Thumbnails 535i reviews?-picture_012.jpg  
Old 06-13-2008, 07:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i, Carbon Black, Black Dakota, Black Diamond Trim, 6sp Sport Automatic with Paddles, M-Sport Package, Premium Package

I got mine with in Nov. 07, see specs below. I now have 16,000km (10,000miles) on it. It really is a great car. My father has a 335coupe and my 535 is soooo much more car for not that much more money. The finishes and features are far superior and the performance is only slightly less. To back-up some of the other comments, the options make the car. I got the full M-Package from the factory and that is a great benefit. The premium package with the high-end seats and sound system make everytime I get in the vehicle something special. It really is a great car. Go get one.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:44 AM
Members

I am trying to understand all the options. I must have sport package, but does "premium package" change the seats from sport seats?
Old 06-13-2008, 08:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

I ought not to answer you since you want to snub non-535i owners , but the 20-way seats come with the Premium package. Those seats replaced the Sport seats in '08 (maybe '07.)
Old 06-13-2008, 08:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, A/T & Paddle Shifters, AW, NB Leather, Sport, Premium, Nav, 6FL

+1 on all the comments above. I highly recommend getting sports and premium package. Everything else is extra bells and whistles. The 535i is 200lbs heavier than the 3er if that matters to you. Overall this car is awesome! It's fast, luxurious, and more economical than a V8. Good luck with your choice and keep us posted with what you went for.

Quick Reply: 535i reviews?