E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

535i Hazard Lights Flash Randomly

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 06:06 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport
Default 535i Hazard Lights Flash Randomly

Hey everyone!

Loving the 2010 535i we recently picked up and just sorting through a few odds and ends with the car. Thankfully all typical stuff for this year car and for an E60 and not unexpected.

One really odd thing is happening. The hazards flash on the dash completely randomly and just once. It will happen just about every time I drive it and just happen once or twice at no particular time. I'm never doing the same thing when it happens. I could be driving straight down the road, or turning a corner and it will just randomly flash once and stop.

It's not really bothering me, but it is strange. I'm hoping it's not the start of something more complicated (or expensive). It IS due for a battery before the winter. It's 5 years old. I had read somewhere else about E39's (or maybe it was an E46) having some strange things related to lighting and low voltage. Not seeing anything about E60's, though.

Anyone experience anything like this?

Thanks for any input!
S
Old 09-30-2019, 05:05 AM
New Members

Have I stumped the board on this one?
Old 09-30-2019, 05:45 AM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

Never experienced this. I would look at the hazard switch on the dash. First, does it work when you press it? Try pressing it a few times and see if that doesn't solve the problem. If you can, remove the switch and use electronic cleaner spray on it. This does sound like an intermittent contact problem.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:59 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Also check for aftermarket tuning devices or programming. The lights could be some sort of shift indicator, or meth flow injection indicator or similar.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:19 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by FormerE30Owner
Never experienced this. I would look at the hazard switch on the dash. First, does it work when you press it? Try pressing it a few times and see if that doesn't solve the problem. If you can, remove the switch and use electronic cleaner spray on it. This does sound like an intermittent contact problem.
Last time I tried the hazards by depressing the button on the dash they worked as they should. Didn't notice any issues. I'll pay closer attention to this, though.

Originally Posted by NoQuarter
Also check for aftermarket tuning devices or programming. The lights could be some sort of shift indicator, or meth flow injection indicator or similar.
AAAA.... You MAY be on to something here. The previous owner installed a JB4 tuning unit. It was essentially running on "by-pass" (per my request), so not really running any type of performance map, but there is one in the vehicle. When I took it to my Indy mechanic, he said they had to completely disable it to program and read with the diagnostic machine. So, maybe there's something with that. I can't remember if it was doing it before taking it to them, but I think it was. I have to stop by there today to pick up some coolant, so I'll ask while I'm there if they have experienced anything like that. However, I would think that if it was somehow associated with the JB4 unit, there would be a pattern to the behavior. I really know NOTHING about those tuning units, which is why I had him disable it. I also just wanted to make sure I'm getting the most life out of the engine. So until I understand their capabilities, it will remain by-passed.

Really interesting thought!
Old 09-30-2019, 07:09 AM
New Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: 535xi

The JB4 has a shift indicator that flashes the two indicators in the instrument cluster at a set RPM. Drive the car and see when the lights flash - probably at the same RPM each time. If you press the two outer buttons on the steering wheel down while the engine is idling, you can enter the programming mode. Bypass is MAP0 and speedo and tach should be at 0.

Last edited by audiophool; 09-30-2019 at 07:12 AM.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:29 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by audiophool
The JB4 has a shift indicator that flashes the two indicators in the instrument cluster at a set RPM. Drive the car and see when the lights flash - probably at the same RPM each time. If you press the two outer buttons on the steering wheel down while the engine is idling, you can enter the programming mode. Bypass is MAP0 and speedo and tach should be at 0.
WOW! Well I had no idea about any of that! I'll definitely take a closer look and see. Very interesting! Also, more proof I know nothing about the JB4. I don't have any paperwork on the unit.

Thank you! We might be on the right track, here!
Old 09-30-2019, 11:37 AM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by scootermcrad
WOW! Well I had no idea about any of that! I'll definitely take a closer look and see. Very interesting! Also, more proof I know nothing about the JB4. I don't have any paperwork on the unit.

Thank you! We might be on the right track, here!
This sounds more probable than my theory! I am curious to see what you find.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:19 AM
New Members

Okay. Indeed there seems to be some kind of relationship to the JB4. When I get on it pretty hard, it seems like the dash indicators come on at at certain higher RPM's. I can't quite pinpoint numbers yet, but there is something to it. I think the reason I wasn't seeing it all the time is because I really haven't been driving it hard. And when I do get on it, I'm paying attention to what's going on around me, not so much rather or not those indicators are coming on. Doesn't help that the steering wheel and my hand positions, visually, sort of block the view of the indicators. Probably why I'm not noticing it as much. They're simply not within an eye shot.

I'm just getting to know this car, how it drives, mechanically, it's quarks, etc.. It's a very different animal from what I'm used to driving (a Toyota 4Runner), so I have some work to do to get comfortable, but indeed, I would say there is a relationship between the JB4 and these hazard indicators.

What will I learn next.... ? Probably how to change the coolant expansion tank and front tension arms. Those are next on my list. HAHA
Old 10-01-2019, 04:56 PM
New Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: 535xi

Try this: press the volume - and preset down buttons on the steering wheel with the engine running. Press volume up until the speedo is pointing to 30 and look where the tach needle is pointing. That is your shift light setpoint. When in that spot, try using the preset down button and move the tach down to say 2000. To exit press volume down until the tach resumes reading correctly. Now your shift lights will come on at 2000 rpm - a much easier to spot speed.

Quick Reply: 535i Hazard Lights Flash Randomly