E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

535d rough when cold

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 10:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d M Sport Individual Le Mans Blue Individual Platinum Leather (Extended) 19" Mixed Alloys Heads Up Display Piano Black Inserts (might change to aluminium, kids leave fingerprints everywhere) BMW I Pod Connection Aux Input Business Sat Nav BMW Rear Entertainment System incorperated in the roof Heated Seats Bluetooth Sun Prot Glass

My 535d (07) vibrates especially when cold, seems to be missing on the odd cylinder or its a cold start fault.
The engine shakes and the rev's drop then go back to normal. Once its warmed up its hardly noticable but still there, i have sent it into BM recently and they downloaded the lastest update's for the car (new i drive update seems good) but on start up the morining after it was exactly the same, no change.
Its really noticable when sat at the lights, feels like its going to cut out anytime then once warm its perfect.
I am sending it again later this week.
I have read that the 550i's sometimes vibrate but then they are V8's. The straight sixes are supposed to be smooth as silk just like my last car (03) 330d
Anyone else noticed this on their 535d
Old 03-09-2008, 12:42 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ROYLANCE' post='541934' date='Mar 9 2008, 06:42 PM
My 535d (07) vibrates especially when cold, seems to be missing on the odd cylinder or its a cold start fault.
The engine shakes and the rev's drop then go back to normal. Once its warmed up its hardly noticable but still there, i have sent it into BM recently and they downloaded the lastest update's for the car (new i drive update seems good) but on start up the morining after it was exactly the same, no change.
Its really noticable when sat at the lights, feels like its going to cut out anytime then once warm its perfect.
I am sending it again later this week.
I have read that the 550i's sometimes vibrate but then they are V8's. The straight sixes are supposed to be smooth as silk just like my last car (03) 330d
Anyone else noticed this on their 535d
I have 07 535D LCI and have not noticed any uneven running when cold.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 535d M Sport Individual Le Mans Blue Individual Platinum Leather (Extended) 19" Mixed Alloys Heads Up Display Piano Black Inserts (might change to aluminium, kids leave fingerprints everywhere) BMW I Pod Connection Aux Input Business Sat Nav BMW Rear Entertainment System incorperated in the roof Heated Seats Bluetooth Sun Prot Glass

Met a guy in the Local petrol station earlier whilst filling up, he has also confirmed that his (06) 535d is not normally rough on cold start.
He only mentioned his car reving which apparently is to burn of carbon deposits or something like that. (not had that happen yet but it's supposed to be in the manual ?)
I bet my car has faulty sensor or injector somewhere, but why wasn't this noticed when i sent it in shurley is must throw up a fault code.
Parked up before after 5 mins of driving from cold and the engine was rocking like crazy on its engine mountings i could feel it through the foot pedals and transmission tunnel. Stopped the engine drove for another 5 mins and the engine had almost stopped its kicking.
Oh and what is that flap thing in the right hand tailpipe, i have seen some cars on the motorway and it is closed, mine is always open.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:24 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ROYLANCE' post='542054' date='Mar 10 2008, 12:52 AM
Met a guy in the Local petrol station earlier whilst filling up, he has also confirmed that his (06) 535d is not normally rough on cold start.
He only mentioned his car reving which apparently is to burn of carbon deposits or something like that. (not had that happen yet but it's supposed to be in the manual ?)
I bet my car has faulty sensor or injector somewhere, but why wasn't this noticed when i sent it in shurley is must throw up a fault code.
Parked up before after 5 mins of driving from cold and the engine was rocking like crazy on its engine mountings i could feel it through the foot pedals and transmission tunnel. Stopped the engine drove for another 5 mins and the engine had almost stopped its kicking.
Oh and what is that flap thing in the right hand tailpipe, i have seen some cars on the motorway and it is closed, mine is always open.
On my last car - a MB C270cdi - rough running when cold was a sure sign an injector was on its last legs. In five years I had 4 new injectors and got to know the signs before the system closed down. Unfortunately the first two times it happened left me imobile!

I would take it either back to your dealer, or to another (dealer).

regards,
Old 03-11-2008, 03:27 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 530d titansilver, manual transmission BMW 535d titansilver, automatic + AMG shift Paddles

I (kinda) had the same symthoms while trying to start my 530d up in Austria this winter. -10 degrees C, the whole car was frozen, and the first few (ok....10 ) seconds, my engine also runs pretty rough and shakes a bit, and starting it up the very first time after the night leaves you key-ing it a fraction longer that you normally would. I don`t know if it`s normal.

Does yours vibrate only when the engine is cold (I mean, when the outside temp. is normal)? Or when it`s also brutally frikkin cold outside, as well ?
Old 03-20-2008, 01:21 PM
Members

Latest update on My 535d.

Car was back in for 2 days this week, as usual nobody listened to my on the Service reception and after extensive testing the car came our with no fault again, which it would do because there are no fault indicators lighting up on the dash. Its very rough in the morning now and is getting to the point where some day its going to stall.
Anyway spoke to the Senior Tech Mechanic guy who after plenty of explaining of how the fault arrises, told me they had a car in last year (535d) and the owner was complaining of a similar fault. This car was also showing no fault codes but they decided to pull the injectors out and pressure test them.
1 injector was down on pressure causing the fault.
My motor is going back in again on the 30th so i will keep you all updated with the result.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:06 AM
Members

Just thought i would update you guy's on the latest update on my 535d.
Its been into BM yet again this time with a Senior Tech Mechanic checking it out. After 4 days in the dealer the results came out with No 4 injector down on flow readings compared to the other 5 injectors.
But apparently the readings are within BMW's specifications.
He also found the hose clips on the pipes coming from the Air filter housing loose which could also be causing an air leak after the air mass meter.
These have been sorted but still has not made and difference.
So it will be going in yet again to have the injector fitted when the parts arrive.
Even the best diesel engine in the world has problems !
I am getting a bit /*-*$ ssd off with spending so much on a car and spending most the time at the dealers with it.
Let you know the outcome after the injector is fitted, i hope this will cure it, if not its going !
Old 04-06-2008, 08:42 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530d se '218'
Arrow

Originally Posted by ROYLANCE' post='556855' date='Apr 6 2008, 01:06 PM
Just thought i would update you guy's on the latest update on my 535d.
Its been into BM yet again this time with a Senior Tech Mechanic checking it out. After 4 days in the dealer the results came out with No 4 injector down on flow readings compared to the other 5 injectors.
But apparently the readings are within BMW's specifications.
He also found the hose clips on the pipes coming from the Air filter housing loose which could also be causing an air leak after the air mass meter.
These have been sorted but still has not made and difference.
So it will be going in yet again to have the injector fitted when the parts arrive.
Even the best diesel engine in the world has problems !
I am getting a bit /*-*$ ssd off with spending so much on a car and spending most the time at the dealers with it.
Let you know the outcome after the injector is fitted, i hope this will cure it, if not its going !
my 530d is the same, when i drive off and dont warm it up there is also a smoke cloud coming out the back, once i have reved it a bit to clear it , it runs sweet not smoke or missing timeing? does yours have the smoke thing? if you do find out the cause plaese let me know,
Old 04-07-2008, 10:28 AM
Members

Not noticed any smoke, not even checked that ! I'll let you know after tomorrow moriings cold start.
Mine starts missing after around 2 mins from cold, feels like a V8, when the engine rev limit marks drop to around 4500rpm. After that the car is warm and it runs fine with only a very very slight misfire hardly noticable.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:06 AM
Members

Car has been back in for the New Injector and there is no change.

Still starts missing from cold when the Temp marker gets to 3 clicks above the 4500rpm line and then starts to fade when it is past the 4500rpm mark.
Also noticed a misfire now and then when on the motorway but not consistant.
Its doing my head in.

I've had it in around 5 times now, first for rear brake squeal, which was sorted.

Anyone any ideas ? Leaking fuel injector, Cold Start Valve ?????????

Quick Reply: 535d rough when cold