E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

535d midrange thrust.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 01:46 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Like me!!! I'm 28 and a lazy guy!!!
Old 04-14-2005, 02:09 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Apr 14 2005, 10:46 AM
Like me!!!? ? I'm 28 and a lazy guy!!!?
[snapback]115230[/snapback]
SMG and kind not considered ofcourse

I was talking about the kind of drivers that discover the sportsmode on their autotranny 2 days before selling the car when hitting it by accident

... and calling dealer to complain about the high revs and unwillingness to shift gears up
Old 04-14-2005, 02:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by ISUK' date='Apr 14 2005, 04:04 AM
Merv,

There is no doubting the fact that the car is very quick in mid range acceleration. It just doesn't "feel" quick by which I mean there is no noise, fuss or drama and you are unaware of the speed you are travelling at. The only way you know you are going fairly rapidly is that it would appear that traffic around you has either slowed down considerably or stopped? ? It would be very, VERY easy to pick up a lot of penalty points (if not a complete ban) in this car. The NVH in this car is so good it has almost been sanitised past the point of fun. The new E90 320d is very similar in this respect. It's sometimes good to feel the sensation of speed too.

For contrast I'm driving an X5 4.8iS this week which feels very fast due to the high driving position and the wail of that glorious V8 ? The Alpina tuned engine in this car is naughty to say the least. Colleagues have said they can hear me approaching the office quite a bit before I actually drive into view. It is really no bigger size wise than and E61 Touring but it provides a higher grin factor than the 535d. Having said that the tax bill is almost twice as high so it may well be the less involving 535d Sport for me together with a Road angel or some such.
[snapback]115225[/snapback]
ISUK,

Yes I would agree with you the lack of driving noise is the down side to the 535d, but then I spend a lot more time on the motorway than driving round country lanes so it works well for me. Perhaps you could send me a recording of your V8 so as I can play it when I next rip round the country lanes.

Destiny,

You're right I'm an old git (38) I like auto

What does your 525d go like with a chip and whats the new output?
Old 04-14-2005, 03:25 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Apr 14 2005, 04:46 AM
Perhaps you could send me a recording of your V8 so as I can play it when I next rip round the country lanes.? ? ? ?
[snapback]115239[/snapback]
I was thinking about burning the sound onto CD and flogging it to all the 535d owners on here. Might help me recoup some of this week's outrageous fuel bill - low point was seeing 9.6mpg average on trip computer... OUCH!
Old 04-14-2005, 11:39 AM
Members

I've driven other cars with lots more torque using manual gears, no problem there... BMW just doesn't care about it since most customers buying expensive cars want auto... still, the young ones like me still prefer manual

compared to manual, auto just isn't driving... it's for lazy old people
[snapback]115229[/snapback]
[/quote]

I understand your point, but I bet that the cars you drove with more torque were not BMWs. They just don't have a manual to handle that load. It is probably true they don't care much, as the M5/6 aren't offered in true manual. I am 28, far from lazy, but with the traffic we get here.....Give me an auto anyday.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:45 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Apr 13 2005, 09:51 PM
[quote name='AfroBMW' date='Apr 13 2005, 03:46 PM'] Sweet. Mine just turned a week old and hitting 1200 miles(breakin done ). I think it is time to let loose on this beast.? The car?s 6spd Auto is a perfect match for the engine (it is the only box able to handle all that ferocious torque).
[snapback]115012[/snapback]
Do you love the way the car accelerates rapidly with small throttle input and changes up through the gears say at around 2,000rpm. The feeling is well weird - its awsome
[snapback]115017[/snapback]
[/quote]

Love the acceleration? YUP!!! Being my first diesel, I just love the constant power through the revs. I leave it Sport mode most of the time (highway gets normal).
Old 04-14-2005, 02:46 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Apr 12 2005, 04:39 PM
...I put my foot down and the midrange punch took me by surprise, the other cars on the inside (50mph) were just like parked cars.
[snapback]114474[/snapback]
Now imagine the engine is well loosened up, 10,000 miles in, with a tuning box
Old 08-10-2005, 08:42 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Auto M Sport delivered 04/10/05, Carbon Black, Beige Ventilated Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Media Pack - Sat Nav Pro, Bmw Assist, Bluetooth phone prep + telematics + snap in adapter for Nokia 6230i & 6 CD, Visibility Pack - bi-xenons, adaptive headlights and Headlight Wash, HUD, High Gloss Shadow Line, Extended Lights, HiFi System, Extended Voice, M Spoiler and Heated/ventilated f/seats. Chrome Grills. M Double Spoke 19" Mixed Wheels 172 with 245/35 front and 275/30 rear (Non-runflat continentals) Spare wheel and jack. Supaglass.

I'm shifting from a Porsche Boxster S manual and the traffic makes the manual more tiring than anything. When I had the 535d for a weekend - WOW !!!! I do drive the Porsche hard, but the torque on the 535d makes the diesel ultimately sensible - can't wait to get mine !
Old 08-10-2005, 10:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Saloon. Silver Grey. Black leather.

The longer I have this car, the more I love it! 5500 miles at present, and nicely loosened up.
I am still waiting to hear back on why I got no tinted windscreen with my sun protection glass though!
Also am I the only one who thinks the run flats are OK ?(Goodyears). I like the peace of mind they give , and the ride is fine for me.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Merv, How come so little miles?? Maybe cos DERV prices on the way up

I cant wait for mine,I only do about 9K miles a year and I'm pacing about like an expectant father....By time it gets here I wreckon DERV will be at ?1 a litre :'(

Need to pump up the tyres on the mountain bike...

Quick Reply: 535d midrange thrust.