E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

The 535 v 550 race is on for 3pm tommorrow afternoon!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 07:58 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='516818' date='Jan 12 2008, 08:51 AM
Part of the problem is that he's not into cars. Most people get BMW's because it's a presitious brand and they get them loaded, including the sports package, because that's even more prestigious. I am not calling him again, he's actually a competitor of mine and we know a lot of people in common. We are all car nuts on this forum, but I don't want to appear to be nuts outside.
I was upset that this has not come together but after Wednesday when I get the Dinan software, I'm not really going to care anymore anyway. I can't believe that nobody else, all over this forums reach which is global, has raced between the 535 and 550.
With what equates to two additional adult sized people weight penalty and a worse final gearing ratio, I really felt my 535 had a real chance of equaling the 550 acceleration from 0-60. And with the guy I was going to be racing against, I had another fraction or so of a second advantage with the first to second gear shift as I have the sports auto and he does not. BMW states only 2/10th of a second advantage for the 550 to begin with and some feel that's there for marketing purposes only.
Road & Track has a 4.8 sec 0-60 for a 335i coupe and the 535 variant is only 200 pounds heavier than the coupe and only 100 lbs heavier than the 4 door. Road & Track has 5.0 sec for the 550.
There have been a few posts where members have raced the 535 and 550 but most were impromptu, yours seems to have been the only organized attempt and thus the most prominent. Either way I agree it would have been close.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

This feels like ground hog day.......
Old 01-12-2008, 10:08 AM
Senior Members

Ok quick question if and when this race happens and somebody wins.... what does this mean.

If the 535 wins, then everyone with a 550s should hang there head in shame and bow down to the 535 drivers and praise them for having a faster car and saving 8k in the price of the car.

If the 550 wins, does that mean the 550 drivers can shake there head and laugh anytime a little 535 tries to mess with them.

I guess what is this really trying to prove. To me these 535 vs 550 threads reminds me of the bowtie/blue oval debates.....
Old 01-12-2008, 10:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Gone: 2004 525i Jet Black, Built 03/04, Premium Package, Black Dakota Leather, Halogen to Euro Spec Bi-Xenons Retrofit, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Steptronic Breyton Spirit Reps 20x9F 20x10R - Nitto NT555 245/35/20F-275/30/20R, M5 Front Bumper, H&R Sport Springs, Chrome Grills, 20% Tint, Euro Reflectors, Debadged, Aux Input, CIP v19.x

I'm subscribing to this topic
Old 01-12-2008, 11:53 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by MRV99' post='516885' date='Jan 12 2008, 02:08 PM
Ok quick question if and when this race happens and somebody wins.... what does this mean.

If the 535 wins, then everyone with a 550s should hang there head in shame and bow down to the 535 drivers and praise them for having a faster car and saving 8k in the price of the car.

If the 550 wins, does that mean the 550 drivers can shake there head and laugh anytime a little 535 tries to mess with them.

I guess what is this really trying to prove. To me these 535 vs 550 threads reminds me of the bowtie/blue oval debates.....
The $8000 had nothing to do with it for many of us. We new about the software updates when we ordered our 535, and thats why we got them. We wanted the fastest car short of the single purpose M5. Many of us 535'ers discussing 535/550 performance came from 545's which was the biggest baddest 5er at the time. I notice you currently have a 2004 545, mine was an '04 545 with SMG. Now we have the 535 with the software upgrade to fill the slot.
I noticed in your signature you list a 1990 Mustang as a previous ride, and you put (375 HP) in parenthesis, why did you do that, are you differentiating it from slower 1990 Mustangs? Does it means yours was faster? Are you watching the Giants playing the Cowboys tomorrow, tell them that Americans don't really care who wins. They are like the Bowtie/blue ovals as well. You have never stomped the gas pedal when someone next to you at a light is inching up and watching the light. It's all in good fun, sometimes gets a little heated, but we are BMW enthusiasts, there lies the commonality and fun.
BMW says its the ultimate driving machine, if thats not throwing down a challenge I don't know what is.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:31 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='516920' date='Jan 12 2008, 02:53 PM
It sounds like the 550 was the most expensive car you personally could afford, that's not true for many of us hear, so the $8000 had nothing to do with it for many of us. We new about the software updates when we ordered our 535, and thats why we got them. We wanted the fastest car short of the single purpose M5. Many of us 535'ers discussing 535/550 performance came from 545's which was the biggest baddest 5er at the time. Now we have the 535 with the software upgrade to fill the slot.
Are you watching the Giants playing the Cowboys tomorrow, tell them that Americans don't really care who wins. They are like the Bowtie/blue ovals as well. You have never stomped the gas pedal when someone next to you at a light is inching up and watching the light. It's all in good fun, sometimes gets a little heated, but we are BMW enthusiasts, there lies the commonality and fun.
BMW says its the ultimate driving machine, if thats not throwing down a challenge I don't know what is.

Well I appreciate that you edited this post from your original posting. No the 545 is not the most expensive car that I could afford and I guess my signature shows that. I bought the 5er because it meets my needs. Besides. I would rather have multiple nice cars than 1 really expensive ride. I am currently looking for a third car for the stable and not buying the most expensive car I could afford gives me that luxury.

[quote date='Edited version']The $8000 had nothing to do with it for many of us. We new about the software updates when we ordered our 535, and thats why we got them. We wanted the fastest car short of the single purpose M5. Many of us 535'ers discussing 535/550 performance came from 545's which was the biggest baddest 5er at the time. I notice you currently have a 2004 545, mine was an '04 545 with SMG. Now we have the 535 with the software upgrade to fill the slot.
I noticed in your signature you list a 1990 Mustang as a previous ride, and you put (375 HP) in parenthesis, why did you do that, are you differentiating it from slower 1990 Mustangs? Does it means yours was faster? Are you watching the Giants playing the Cowboys tomorrow, tell them that Americans don't really care who wins. They are like the Bowtie/blue ovals as well. You have never stomped the gas pedal when someone next to you at a light is inching up and watching the light. It's all in good fun, sometimes gets a little heated, but we are BMW enthusiasts, there lies the commonality and fun.
BMW says its the ultimate driving machine, if thats not throwing down a challenge I don't know what is.[/quote]

My mustang was a car which I raced and that is what I did with it. I was dragging people for money. I added the 375 next to it to show that I may know a few things about cars. I build that car myself and did a ton of wrenching to add 150+ over the stock version and that did not come buy the use of N02.

As your comment about the Cowboys vs Giants.... I am confused.... those are two completely different teams... Kinda like BMW Vs. Mercedes Not the Cowboys Vs Cowboys practice squad.

My whole point is that the purpose of the whole 535 vs 550 debate is more than just competition. It is more along the lines of jabbing at another fellow 5er by there decision to buy the 550 over the 535 and acting like that 550 owner made a bad purchase because the over spent on a car which performance can be had by a lesser price car.

You also stated in your first post "Many of us 535'ers discussing 535/550 performance came from 545's which was the biggest baddest 5er at the time. Now we have the 535 with the software upgrade to fill the slot." This to me supports my argument that you still belive that the 550 owners made a mistake and bought the back up to the baddest 5er below the M5.

I guess it just seems to me that these types of post do nothing but try to start conflicts between board members.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Originally Posted by MRV99' post='516932' date='Jan 12 2008, 01:31 PM
My whole point is that the purpose of the whole 535 vs 550 debate is more than just competition. It is more along the lines of jabbing at another fellow 5er by there decision to buy the 550 over the 535 and acting like that 550 owner made a bad purchase because the over spent on a car which performance can be had by a lesser price car.

I guess it just seems to me that these types of post do nothing but try to start conflicts between board members.
+1

That's how this thread has seemed to me for the most part
Old 01-12-2008, 12:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by MRV99' post='516932' date='Jan 12 2008, 01:31 PM
Well I appreciate that you edited this post from your original posting. No the 545 is not the most expensive car that I could afford and I guess my signature shows that. I bought the 5er because it meets my needs. Besides. I would rather have multiple nice cars than 1 really expensive ride. I am currently looking for a third car for the stable and not buying the most expensive car I could afford gives me that luxury.

My mustang was a car which I raced and that is what I did with it. I was dragging people for money. I added the 375 next to it to show that I may know a few things about cars. I build that car myself and did a ton of wrenching to add 150+ over the stock version and that did not come buy the use of N02.

As your comment about the Cowboys vs Giants.... I am confused.... those are two completely different teams... Kinda like BMW Vs. Mercedes Not the Cowboys Vs Cowboys practice squad.

You also stated in your first post "Many of us 535'ers discussing 535/550 performance came from 545's which was the biggest baddest 5er at the time. Now we have the 535 with the software upgrade to fill the slot." This to me supports my argument that you still belive that the 550 owners made a mistake and bought the back up to the baddest 5er below the M5.

MRV, I'm with you 100%.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by MRV99' post='516932' date='Jan 12 2008, 04:31 PM

Bowtie (chevy)/ blue oval (ford), two different teams too same as Cowboys vs. Giants. My point being people like competition, and I guessed you do too.
I quickly editied my first version of the post because when I read it, it sounded confrontational which was not my intention, but this shows my goal is not to dis you or the 550's. It did not sound right so I changed it, I did it so fast that I'm surprised you saw it.
Its all in fun which some of us enjoy. If I can respectfully say, if you do not like the threads content, you do not have to read it.
Your 68 posts into this forum, so welcome, and we had heated debates about the SMG vs. the traditional 6 speed manual, iDrive, runflats, etc. Its hard to read "tone" in an email or in text posted here, but just assume people are discussing or debating something.
The start of this thread was to actually race the two cars, so we would have finally gone from theory to real life.
But we are all having fun!
Old 01-12-2008, 01:29 PM
Contributors

If I can add, if the 550 gets the twin turbo v8, then I will quickly abandon my recent friends with the 535, and get that one.

Quick Reply: The 535 v 550 race is on for 3pm tommorrow afternoon!