E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

530i VS. 545i HELP.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 02:10 PM
rjg
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not that you'll ever tell them this-- but your parents are a bit naive and outdated when it comes to car safety. In the past, it was true that MB and BMW were probably safer than most cars. But, nowadays its not so true. You'd probably be just as well off, or maybe better off in a Ford 500 or even Hoonda Accord (which was one of the top rated cars by the IIHS). When the 5 series first came out, it actually did poorly in the Euro NCAP tests and BMW had to make some changes. Kinda makes you think-- BMW knew all about the test before it was conducted, so how'd they manage to do so badly? Strange. Sure, BMW is very good in terms of active safety (avoiding accidents)-- but I think that has even more to do w/ the skill level of the driver than the car's abilities.

Also, personally, if I were you, I wouldn't want a brand new BMW 5 series at your age. Where do you go from there? Then again, if I were 16 it would be hard to resist a brand new BMW if I were offered it-- but in retrospect, I don't think its such a great thing. Its going to be hard to accept "lesser" cars should you ever be a worse financial situation. And, with the car's power and handling you're probably more likely to be tempted into more aggressive drving and more likely to end up in accident.

To make it through your teen years safely and without becoming jaded, you should probably ask them to buy you a Toyota Camry.

I'm sure you won't listen to any of this ( I probably woudn't), but thought I'd say it anwyay...
Old 01-11-2006, 02:19 PM
Members

Originally Posted by yadamean' post='222458' date='Jan 11 2006, 07:13 AM
hey im 16 and new to e60's. im possibly getting a 5 series, but not sure which to get (530i or 545i)

i want to save money, so 530i would be best for a "cheaper" price.

but in other cases, can you guys help me out which would be better?

and could someone tell me the prices on insurance for both?

sorry to be all nooby here. i gotta start somewhere dont i

thanks
hey i just turned 19 and i got my 530i 2006 in mid dec 2005 .. and i personally feel a 3.0 is more than enough .. 0- 60 in 6.5 seconds .. i personaly think thats more than enough for me ... anyways insurance is going to be a bitchh!!!! since the car is my name i payed 6.5% of the cars original value for full insurance ....
bottom line i think you should go for the 530
Old 01-11-2006, 05:12 PM
Members

Originally Posted by mdreviews' post='222515
hey im 16 and new to e60's. im possibly getting a 5 series, but not sure which to get (530i or 545i)

i want to save money, so 530i would be best for a "cheaper" price.

but in other cases, can you guys help me out which would be better?

and could someone tell me the prices on insurance for both?

sorry to be all nooby here. i gotta start somewhere dont i

thanks
[/quote]

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='222536
Not that you'll ever tell them this-- but your parents are a bit naive and outdated when it comes to car safety. In the past, it was true that MB and BMW were probably safer than most cars. But, nowadays its not so true. You'd probably be just as well off, or maybe better off in a Ford 500 or even Hoonda Accord (which was one of the top rated cars by the IIHS). When the 5 series first came out, it actually did poorly in the Euro NCAP tests and BMW had to make some changes. Kinda makes you think-- BMW knew all about the test before it was conducted, so how'd they manage to do so badly? Strange. Sure, BMW is very good in terms of active safety (avoiding accidents)-- but I think that has even more to do w/ the skill level of the driver than the car's abilities.

Also, personally, if I were you, I wouldn't want a brand new BMW 5 series at your age. Where do you go from there? Then again, if I were 16 it would be hard to resist a brand new BMW if I were offered it-- but in retrospect, I don't think its such a great thing. Its going to be hard to accept "lesser" cars should you ever be a worse financial situation. And, with the car's power and handling you're probably more likely to be tempted into more aggressive drving and more likely to end up in accident.

To make it through your teen years safely and without becoming jaded, you should probably ask them to buy you a Toyota Camry.

I'm sure you won't listen to any of this ( I probably woudn't), but thought I'd say it anwyay...
^^ i am not buying a brrand new 5 series. i feel that im a very good driver (considering ive driven a V8, X5.) i will admit, at first it was WAY fast. but when you drive it almost everyday, you begin to feel that you have control of it. (im sure thats normal for everyone.) yes, i agree that i will be tempted to push the car, and ive done that with the X5, but i can almost be satisfied with the way i drive.

i dont really know what to say about the safety of bmw. whatever my parents think about whats safe for me ill accept. i guess the real reason why my parents WANT a bmw for safety is because

1- we've seen alot of civic's, honda's, etc in accidents
2- we were in a car accident not long ago, and the X5 was sturdy and strong for us.
3- just the thought of european body on the car is enough to convince my parents.

thanks guys
Old 01-11-2006, 06:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

when my daughter turns 16 she is going to drive a cement mixer - big and slow - and no back seat
Old 01-11-2006, 07:08 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dgjk' post='223077' date='Jan 11 2006, 11:45 PM
when my daughter turns 16 she is going to drive a cement mixer - big and slow - and no back seat
Hahaha!
Old 01-11-2006, 10:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by dgjk' post='223077
trust me,

ive tried talking out my parents in buying me a 5 series.

i even offered getting a honda, acura, volkswagon, etc.

its always "SAFETY FIRST", no matter the price.

HAhahah now honestly is that a lie? You tried talking your parents out of getting you a E60? NO WAY!!! I would take it in a blink of an eye

Now for safety... on a serious note... I think the Ford Five Hundred is safer than the E60... Weird... Soooooooooo weird... They're rated waaaaaaay up there. Amazingly!

Is the Audi A6 Better than the 5er? afterall 6 is greater than 5. LOL
Old 01-11-2006, 10:28 PM
Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='223161

HAHAHAHHAHA

Originally Posted by yadamean' post='223031' date='Jan 11 2006, 06:12 PM
trust me,

ive tried talking out my parents in buying me a 5 series.

i even offered getting a honda, acura, volkswagon, etc.

its always "SAFETY FIRST", no matter the price.

HAhahah now honestly is that a lie? You tried talking your parents out of getting you a E60? NO WAY!!! I would take it in a blink of an eye

Now for safety... on a serious note... I think the Ford Five Hundred is safer than the E60... Weird... Soooooooooo weird... They're rated waaaaaaay up there. Amazingly!

Is the Audi A6 Better than the 5er? afterall 6 is greater than 5. LOL
[/quote]

haha the only reason why i tried talking them out of getting me a 5 series was cus i wanted my car to be stick. it was hard enough to find a 5 series in san jose area. plus my parents think that it might distract my driving. (since i drive so wrecklessly in their point of view)

but i tried talking them into buying me a car like an sti or evo or g35.

once again... asian style aka big ballin cars.

ahah
Old 01-11-2006, 10:29 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport, Premium, Logic 7, Jet Black, Black Leather, M-Aero Kit, 15% (very dark) Tint, Eichbach Lowering Springs, Red Brake Calipers, Radenergie R-10's, Michelin PilotSport2 in 245/35/20 and 285/30/20, Rolled Fenders, and a nifty Graco Baby Car Seat. Next Up: Xenon fogs, Eisemann Exhaust, iPod Interface, Comfort Seats.

This whole thing is kind of stupid, and annoying.

My thoughts are all over the place here, so I'll list them:
#1 Good job for your parents being financially capable of dropping $65k on a car for a 16 year old
#2 I hope they instilled values in you to understand the value of a dollar and what it means to earn it (I sound like my father now)
#3 Good for you for researching this decision- that show maturity
#4 Shame on me for being jealous that I didn't have such fortune at your age
#5 A 550i for a new driver is a LOT of power. You'll be proudly impressed by the 530i, but drive both and decide for yourself. Just please don't try to show off it's power- you'll only hurt yourself, or worse, someone innocent in your wake
#6 You sound like a smart kid. You know what would be great? If you were able to stay low key and humble despite having the advantages of a "rich kid". I'd really respect that- make me proud.
Best of luck,
John
Old 01-11-2006, 10:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by cattman' post='223165' date='Jan 12 2006, 02:29 AM
This whole thing is kind of stupid, and annoying.

My thoughts are all over the place here, so I'll list them:
#1 Good job for your parents being financially capable of dropping $65k on a car for a 16 year old
#2 I hope they instilled values in you to understand the value of a dollar and what it means to earn it (I sound like my father now)
#3 Good for you for researching this decision- that show maturity
#4 Shame on me for being jealous that I didn't have such fortune at your age
#5 A 550i for a new driver is a LOT of power. You'll be proudly impressed by the 530i, but drive both and decide for yourself. Just please don't try to show off it's power- you'll only hurt yourself, or worse, someone innocent in your wake
#6 You sound like a smart kid. You know what would be great? If you were able to stay low key and humble despite having the advantages of a "rich kid". I'd really respect that- make me proud.
Best of luck,
John
uhhm well i came here for help. no disrispect to you, but if you think my post is annoying, why even say it? just let me do my thing and let other people who care help me.

i have no intention of bragging about my "richness."

1- im not rich.
2- my parents do trust me with their money.
3- as for your maturity statement, are you being sarcastic?
4- i never meant to make anyone jealous. i came here for help, as stated previously.
5- thanks for the tip that ive been looking for. im pretty sure im responsible enough when it comes to safety.
6- i dont understand how i supposedly offended you (if i did, my apologies). i never talked about my advantages of being a rich kid. i never said anything to offend anyone.

besides the off-topic statements, thanks for the helpful tips.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

OK, now I will actually try to be helpful

you want an evo, g35 (or Sti whatever that is) over a 5 - No way - The 530 is a great car - I plan to give mine to my daughter when she turns 16 (if I can not find the above mentioned cement mixer) - As fr as teh 545 vs 530 - does nto matter - both are fast enough to seriuosly hurt someone if not driven appropriately - so look at the options and color you want

if price is an issue the 530 will be cheaper

I do know what you mean about wanting something else besides a 5 - It is kind of an age thing IMHO -
here's how I sort of view it

0-15 - BMW diecast model
16-30 someting - 3 series
30something to 50 something - 5 series
50 something to ??? - 7 series

that being said the e60 is the best looking car out there

rememebr this is just an opinion and I do not want to offend anyone

BTW I read cattman's post as a compliment to you - it was not meant to offend
And we do get off topic alot - especailly if miis525i is involved in the post

AND finally I agree with your parents - the e60 is a safe car

Quick Reply: 530i VS. 545i HELP.