E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

530i vibrates during idling, why?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 08:21 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cleaned out the MAF...still no such luck. Thou there is no vibration when the car is on and no options are turned on. (ex heated seats, heated steering wheel, air. etc....) Yes I'm from Canada, so lots of "heated" going on this time of the year lol
Old 12-01-2009, 09:25 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Migo' post='1064785' date='Nov 30 2009, 12:21 AM
I cleaned out the MAF...still no such luck. Thou there is no vibration when the car is on and no options are turned on. (ex heated seats, heated steering wheel, air. etc....) Yes I'm from Canada, so lots of "heated" going on this time of the year lol

After a few days....vibration is back....Guess I will have to deal with it.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:05 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Migo' post='1066189' date='Dec 1 2009, 10:25 PM
After a few days....vibration is back....Guess I will have to deal with it.
Migo-
Going in for an oil change tomorrow and gave them a list of items to look at when I made the appointment.
One of the issues was the vibration during idiling just like yours.
I'll let you know what they say and hopefully it is an easy fix.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Members

Originally Posted by RuffRuff' post='1066660' date='Dec 2 2009, 08:05 PM
Migo-
Going in for an oil change tomorrow and gave them a list of items to look at when I made the appointment.
One of the issues was the vibration during idiling just like yours.
I'll let you know what they say and hopefully it is an easy fix.
Perfect....Keep us posted. Thanks for keeping us in mind!
Old 12-03-2009, 10:36 AM
Members

Hey Ruff,

Any findings? All the best!
Old 12-04-2009, 11:41 AM
Members

I am new posting here. I bought a 2007 525 CPO last month with the same issue for which I was told by the sales man that his E60 exhibits the same problem.
I have owned a Volkswagen in the past and thought it was typical of European cars to have its quirks but after driving my friends 3 series I knew that was not typical.

I searched on other similar boards where everyone said it was normal but looking further I found the solution which I presented to my BMW service representative.
In a nutshell it is simply replacing a 88Hz exhaust vibration dampener with a 32Hz one.
The vibration as well as the noise is gone completely and it is a night and day difference from the way the car use to be.

Print out this service bulletin below and take care of this annoying problem forever.

"Service Bulletin SIB 18 02 08

Customer may complain of a slight vibration and/or droning noise when the vehicle is idling in park, neutral, drive and reverse when engine is at operating temperature.

CAUSE
Insufficient vibration dampening of the exhaust system.

PROCEDURE
1.Verify the complaint. Vibration/droning is most prevalent when engine is at operating temperature.

2.Remove the lower bracket for the exhaust system. If droning/vibration is gone, proceed to step three. If vibration/droning still exists with the lower bracket removed; continue troubleshooting exhaust/driveline for other causes or conditions

3.Remove complete bracket assembly and replace it with the bracket (1) PN 18 20 7 521 346 using two new ASA bolts (PN 07 12 9 905 417. Tighten to 21Nm.

Install front pipe bracket (1) PN 18 20 7 521 347 with four rubber bushings (2) (PN 18 20 7 546 579) to the new 346 bracket with two ASA bolts (PN 07 12 9 904 559) and two nuts (PN 07 12 9 904 580). Tighten down to 21Nm

4. Replace the stock 88Hz exhaust vibration dampener (1) with the 32hz dampener PN 18 10 7 506 145. Tighten to 21Nm.

After performing this procedure the vehicle will exhibit the same amount of normal driveline vibration as a comparably equipped E60 with a M54 or N52 engine."
Old 12-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Migo' post='1067175' date='Dec 3 2009, 11:36 AM
Hey Ruff,

Migo-
BMW Northwest still has my car...day number three.
SA Called and says Technician can not duplicate the Idle Issue.
I'm heading up there tomorrow to take the Tech for a spin to show him the issue.
I will keep you posted.
D
Old 12-05-2009, 02:50 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Migo' post='1067175' date='Dec 3 2009, 11:36 AM
Hey Ruff,

Migo-
Just got the car back.
The Tech says that the idle jumping could be due to my insert of a K&N Air Filter.
He says the K&N is oiled and the MAF is non oiled and the oil from the K&N can cause the MAF cause some issues.
He suggested I go back to OEM Air Filter and hopefully the idle jump will be gone.
Also he says that it is normal for the AC compressor to cause the Idle to jump when running as the compressor pulls a load.
So the bottom line is that they did not do anything to it to cause the idle jump and vibration.
I might take their suggestion and put the OEM Air Filter back to see if it stops as I do recall the idle issue starting when I puth the K&N in.
Oh well..
D
Old 12-06-2009, 12:21 AM
Members

Originally Posted by RuffRuff' post='1068399' date='Dec 5 2009, 06:50 PM
Migo-
Just got the car back.
The Tech says that the idle jumping could be due to my insert of a K&N Air Filter.
He says the K&N is oiled and the MAF is non oiled and the oil from the K&N can cause the MAF cause some issues.
He suggested I go back to OEM Air Filter and hopefully the idle jump will be gone.
Also he says that it is normal for the AC compressor to cause the Idle to jump when running as the compressor pulls a load.
So the bottom line is that they did not do anything to it to cause the idle jump and vibration.
I might take their suggestion and put the OEM Air Filter back to see if it stops as I do recall the idle issue starting when I puth the K&N in.
Oh well..
D
Thanks Ruff, Not surprised....I actually went a long drive today and I've convinced myself it is just norm. Thanks again for keeping me up to date. I have the OEM but it looks like the original (got the car 3 weeks ago) so I might give that a try and order a brand new one. I cleaned my MAF as well. Ill keep you posted as well
Old 08-28-2022, 01:11 AM
New Members

My Ride: Bmw 328xi

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
This thread is due to the idling vibration of the engine of my parents' 07 530i sedan 6AT. When the transmission was put in "D" and the car was idling, I saw the tachometer needle would slightly fluctuate from about 600 rpm to 700 rpm or so, and once the needle drops to about 600rpm the engine starts to tremble and we could feel the vibration through the steering wheel and hear some wierd noise. This vibration happens all the time, whenever the car is standing still like in front of the traffic light waiting. We took the car to the dealer twice because of this "problem" and the service guy told us after several hours of checking that the engine has no problem and suggested us to use the same brand of fuel. So far my family has only put Premium fuel(octane 91, we are in California) into the car. This vibration doesn't affect any driving, just very annoying and shouldn't happen to the famous inline 6 engine from BMW right? I hope the engine can go back to the silky smooth idling. Can anyone enlighten me what the problem might be and what to check for? Thanks.
hi did you find a solution for this ? I’m facing similar issue on my bmw 328xi and I’ve currently changed solenoids transmission oil camshaft sensor valve cover gasket and quiet recently I got a code for one of the injectors car ran normal for a few days and now again I’m facing the same issue should I change all the injectors ? It gets worse when the AC is on.

Quick Reply: 530i vibrates during idling, why?