E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

530i vibrates during idling, why?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 09:38 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I SPORT. BLACK BEAUTY. HEADS UP, NAVI,AC SCHNITZER ROOF SPOILER, TRUNK LIP SPOILER, 20 IN AXIS PENTA (NOW PAINTED BLACK). M-TECH KIT, EIBACH SPORTS.

Originally Posted by monsterj34' post='632234' date='Jul 25 2008, 03:30 AM
hey i have exact same problem..

First use 89 octane instead of 93... it helped a bit.. also dont use cheap gas stations... such as costco or sheetz or wawa or some kind of places where sell gas really cheap.

i took my car in shop for like 4 times and i gave up... and i just installed air intake and exhaust and that problem was gone... no clue why but it was gone..

so maybe you should do that...

but theres no solution for that... it will idle between 650-700 as normal conditions..
Never had problem with Costco gas. Always used the 93 octane
Old 01-28-2009, 09:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I SPORT. BLACK BEAUTY. HEADS UP, NAVI,AC SCHNITZER ROOF SPOILER, TRUNK LIP SPOILER, 20 IN AXIS PENTA (NOW PAINTED BLACK). M-TECH KIT, EIBACH SPORTS.

Originally Posted by ModBargains' post='632253' date='Jul 25 2008, 04:52 AM
This is completely normal of any car really, nothing to worry about, just keep using the suggested fuel grade and maintain accordingly. This is just the motor mounts, as wearing occurs through normal driving conditions.
My car's an '04 530. It doesn't vibrate enough that I can feel it in the steering wheel. Neither does my wife's '06 325.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:54 PM
Members

Originally Posted by wiZZo' post='779221' date='Jan 28 2009, 06:25 AM
Ive got the same problem. Got one decision : u need to rise idler wheel, from 600-650rpm to 750 ... this should help. Service could do that for 5 minutes with programm method.
But i would be glad to hear real reason and find right solution.

Do you know where I can get the idler wheel raised? I got this issue as well.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Just a friendly Thanksgiving Day reminder: Don't forget to clean your MAF's and feed BG 44K (or whatever its called) with a full tank.

Happy Holidays
Old 11-26-2009, 04:45 AM
Contributors

Cool

Thanks for the reminder ... I want that good 'ol vibration to return really soon !
Old 11-26-2009, 06:39 AM
Senior Members

Just a heads up for people with the vibration issue. I had the car fully updated and reprogrammed, and the problem has subsided.

One thing the BMW master tech did point out, is that these I6 cars have a weak alternator. He said the idle fluctuations will likely still occur at idle when the heated steering wheel, A/C compressor, and heated seats were being used, and he is right. He said only way to solve this is to get a better alternator, as the engine drivetrain is trying to compensate for the current draw these peripheral items take up.

At normal idle though, it is now rock solid, and I am happy about that.

My reprogram was done under warranty, but I asked my SA out of curiosity whats the cost out of warranty, he said $260.00 flat, regardless of how many crashes (mine had 3 ><).

Good luck with this anyone else experiencing it, I know it was driving me nuts.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:05 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by NYC530XI' post='1063097' date='Nov 26 2009, 10:39 AM
Just a heads up for people with the vibration issue. I had the car fully updated and reprogrammed, and the problem has subsided.

One thing the BMW master tech did point out, is that these I6 cars have a weak alternator. He said the idle fluctuations will likely still occur at idle when the heated steering wheel, A/C compressor, and heated seats were being used, and he is right. He said only way to solve this is to get a better alternator, as the engine drivetrain is trying to compensate for the current draw these peripheral items take up.

My reprogram was done under warranty, but I asked my SA out of curiosity whats the cost out of warranty, he said $260.00 flat, regardless of how many crashes (mine had 3 ><).

Good that you got it sorted!
So do BMW do an uprated alternator? Bet that would be a whole heap of cash!
Old 11-27-2009, 12:11 PM
Members

Originally Posted by NYC530XI' post='1063097' date='Nov 26 2009, 10:39 AM

Thanks....I'm out of warranty and this one issue is driving me completely nuts!!! I've tried engine additives but will try another tank or 2 full of it. Anyone know how to clean out MAF?
Old 11-27-2009, 02:51 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

If it's any help, mine doesn't vibrate at any RPM. I personally would go to dealer and get it checked out. G/L.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:18 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60

Mine had a problem similar to this (check the above somewhere above this one) and what the technican found
out was that my engine mount needed to be fixed. The 'air cushioning' (whatever that is) had a hole and thus
couldn't isolate correctly.

I was under warranty so that was fixed and my car has been working great since.

Quick Reply: 530i vibrates during idling, why?