E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

530i and 530xi -- need help with decision

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 09:41 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 63strat' post='206297
I also live in S. California and go ski/snowboard about 5 times a year.

I recommended 530i sport over 530xi. The roads to the ski resort are usually clean without any chain required.

If it?s snowing really bad, you still need snow tires with all-wheel-drive or snow chain, I won?t buy a set of 4 snow tires just for few days or 0 use every year, so I will end up buying snow chain anyway.

I've been thinking about this too. In CA, the CHP stop you at checkpoints and make you put on chains anyway, before you head into really snowy conditions. Of course a 530i with chains on the rear will do just fine, plus I'll have Auto Roll Stabilization for around home. Still will test drive both again next week.
[/quote]

How much work is to put those chains we are talking about? if i decide to have them, do i need both rear and front? .. i heard is not a good idea to use them. I'll like to keep a pair in case i need them.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:13 AM
Members

Originally Posted by amigo525' post='207055
Originally Posted by Freewilly' post='206262' date='Dec 2 2005, 12:43 PM

I recommended 530i sport over 530xi. The roads to the ski resort are usually clean without any chain required.

If it?s snowing really bad, you still need snow tires with all-wheel-drive or snow chain, I won?t buy a set of 4 snow tires just for few days or 0 use every year, so I will end up buying snow chain anyway.

I've been thinking about this too. In CA, the CHP stop you at checkpoints and make you put on chains anyway, before you head into really snowy conditions. Of course a 530i with chains on the rear will do just fine, plus I'll have Auto Roll Stabilization for around home. Still will test drive both again next week.
How much work is to put those chains we are talking about? if i decide to have them, do i need both rear and front? .. i heard is not a good idea to use them. I'll like to keep a pair in case i need them.
[/quote]

Chains, IMO, are a PITA to put on, especially when you forgot your gloves, your fingers are bleeding and you're crawling around under your car in 6 inches of snow. I've used them many times, and they are a risk to your car if they snap off -- they can dent and scratch the wheelwell area or worse. Plus, they're not exactly the best things for your tires either. But the CHP (California Highway Patrol) will force you to put them on, if for example, you're trying to head up to Yosemite and it's been snowing and you don't have a 4 wheel drive vehicle. They don't check you for snow tires on your AWD car, though. I guess I'm gathering that the 530xi without snowtires in such conditions is not much of an advantage anyhow.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:21 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

Originally Posted by 63strat' post='206297

[/quote]

OH, I forgot one thing. I remember I signed a notice form from BMW when I purchase my e60, becuase I have a sport package (with 18" wheels), I can't have snow chain.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 06 530xi Silver Grey / Black Leather

I was faced with the same decision.

I live on the coast in Southern California and make many trips each winter to Mammoth when a storms hit to get fresh powder. Our 530xi delivered in October and we have yet to get it in into winter conditions. During and after storms Cal Trans will not let vehicles to the upper elevations without four wheel drive or chains, so xi is a must for us. Even in areas not under chain control, the increased safety of having an AWD in snow, slush and ice is priceless. Over the years, have watched AWD Audi's, Volvo's and MB perform great in harsh winter conditions without the roll over danger of a SUV. Glad 530xi was added it the series.

Here is an Edmunds article on 530xi that might help answer performance questions.

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/....content...BMW*

Both models are outstanding vehicles.

Good luck finding what is best for you.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Even in areas not under chain control, the increased safety of having an AWD in snow, slush and ice is priceless. Over the years, have watched AWD Audi's, Volvo's and MB perform great in harsh winter conditions without the roll over danger of a SUV. Glad 530xi was added it the series.
[/quote]

Of course this is thru

I live in a county with about 5 months of snow and ice.

But since I drive mostly on highways and in the city I have
managed great with the RWD.

But I have to admit that there is about 5 days a year I would
prefer a 4WD but I do not buy a car for five days, but for 365
Old 12-05-2005, 06:57 AM
Members

Cali = 530i. Plain and simple.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

Originally Posted by Boarder' post='207361' date='Dec 5 2005, 05:28 AM
I was faced with the same decision.

I live on the coast in Southern California and make many trips each winter to Mammoth when a storms hit to get fresh powder. Our 530xi delivered in October and we have yet to get it in into winter conditions. During and after storms Cal Trans will not let vehicles to the upper elevations without four wheel drive or chains, so xi is a must for us. Even in areas not under chain control, the increased safety of having an AWD in snow, slush and ice is priceless. Over the years, have watched AWD Audi's, Volvo's and MB perform great in harsh winter conditions without the roll over danger of a SUV. Glad 530xi was added it the series.

Here is an Edmunds article on 530xi that might help answer performance questions.

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/....content...BMW*

Both models are outstanding vehicles.

Good luck finding what is best for you.
I went to Mammoth early this year with worst snowy storm. I drove my Dad's ML350 (all-wheel-drive), and snow chain is still required by CHP. I saw more than 20 cars spin out the road on the way to mammoth, so four-wheel-drive with snow chain really helps in those situation.

My friend leave early than I did, he spend an hour try to put on their snow chain, it was so freezing and windy outside, I can?t even stand still. He gave up and paid someone 35 bucks to put on the snow chain. When I reach the same spot, I listened to his advice and paid the same guy 35 bucks to install my chain, which was 35 bucks well spend, without wasting an hour of work in the cold.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:54 AM
Members

[QUOTE=Freewilly;207309]
Originally Posted by 63strat' post='206297' date='Dec 2 2005, 01:53 PM
[quote name='Freewilly' post='206262' date='Dec 2 2005, 12:43 PM']

OH, I forgot one thing. I remember I signed a notice form from BMW when I purchase my e60, because I have a sport package (with 18" wheels), I can't have snow chain.
That's right -- I forgot about that. Of course I'm going to want the sport package and that means no chains ever (just like my M3). Might have to reconsider and just get the xi.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:05 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 63strat
Originally Posted by Freewilly' date='Dec 4 2005, 10:21 PM' post='207309
[quote name='63strat' post='206297' date='Dec 2 2005, 01:53 PM']
[quote name='Freewilly' post='206262' date='Dec 2 2005, 12:43 PM']

OH, I forgot one thing. I remember I signed a notice form from BMW when I purchase my e60, because I have a sport package (with 18" wheels), I can't have snow chain.
That's right -- I forgot about that. Of course I'm going to want the sport package and that means no chains ever (just like my M3). Might have to reconsider and just get the xi.
But sometimes you still need chain even with xi. Are you welling to invest on snow tires?? I won't, it cost to much to purchase them and pay someone to install/remove everytime I drive up to snowy area. And you need to stoarge them in the garage 99% of the year.