E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

530i and 530xi -- need help with decision

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 10:18 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to decide between a 530i and 530xi. I live in Southern California, so we don't need snow tires on the car during the winter months, but we do like to head up to snow country every now and then (and don't want to put snow tires on just for these trips). My question is whether the all-wheel drive 530xi is worth anything in snow and ice conditions without snow tires, enough to give up the Active Roll Stabilization and Variable-Ratio Steering of the 530i. Thanks.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:40 AM
IHC
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi -- silver grey

Your question may be better answered after this winter season, as all current xi owners have not had their car thru a full winter yet.

I drove my 530xi from Chicago to northeast Ohio this Thanksgiving, thru very light snow on the ground at highway speeds without any difficulty. I have the all-season tires that came with the 17" rims from BMW. I do have plans to replace these with dedicated snow tires and then buy 18" rims for performance tires in the future.

I have braved a drive from SF to Tahoe a few years ago in an SUV, in brutal snow--it is not for the faint of heart!! I highly doubt that all-season tires even in an all-wheel drive car would be safe in conditions such as that, but don't have any direct experience to say. But if that is your only need for an all-wheel drive, perhaps you'd be better off renting a car, or do you have another car such as an SUV for these kind of trips??

Well, good luck with your decision...
Old 11-30-2005, 12:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by 63strat' post='205285' date='Nov 30 2005, 02:18 PM
I'm trying to decide between a 530i and 530xi. I live in Southern California, so we don't need snow tires on the car during the winter months, but we do like to head up to snow country every now and then (and don't want to put snow tires on just for these trips). My question is whether the all-wheel drive 530xi is worth anything in snow and ice conditions without snow tires, enough to give up the Active Roll Stabilization and Variable-Ratio Steering of the 530i. Thanks.

Well, SoCal is almost synonymous with aftermarket rims. The Xi severely limits what you can mount on the car. Plus, the ride height can look akward with certain wheel/tire combos. Also, no ARS in the sport package (Active Roll Stabilization). This is also known as Dynamic Drive.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by 63strat' post='205285' date='Nov 30 2005, 02:18 PM
Definitely, yes, the i would help in the snow. But, I would not give up much to get the i. I have never even had snow tires, front-wheel drive, or all-wheel drive for driving in the snow. And, we lived in Tulsa for 9 years--snow and ice a plenty. But, of course, very easy does it. And, there are places I would not try to go. And, there were times I did not go at all--but not many.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

I ordered an xi becaus eof weather but
1 - it is 2000$ - could easily get a spare set of rims (not extremely fancy) and a set of snow tires to cahnge when needed for less than that
2- xi sport package is different - so look closely - if you wanted the true sport package and nifty steering package you can not get an xi
3 - post back what you decide
Old 11-30-2005, 08:04 PM
Members

I live in Toronto. We get snow in winter.

I chose a 530i, and here's why:

The primary problem with driving in the snow is stopping, not going. Any 4-wheel system will have zero effect on stopping power, it is your tires that determine your fate. 4-wheel drive is great for plowing through snow- but again, no increased stopping power without snow tires. A deceptive sense of control easily develops when driving these vehilces.

My two day old 530 has Perelli Sottozeros installed, and I am certain that I'll once more drive past stuck xi's, audis, suvs, subs, etc. wearing all-seasons all winter long.

You may want to consider renting an appropriately shod truck for your trips, and enjoy your unadulterated E60 the rest of the time.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

well said
my dad drove a rear wheel drive f-150 pick up and always did well in the snow.
I agree stopping is usually the problem, but I live on a hill and going up without awd is also a problem
Old 11-30-2005, 08:29 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

Does 530xi all-wheel-drive handle better on dry condition?? Other sports car makers make all-wheel-drive to increase handling on race track. But somehow everyone is talking about how 530xi handles on the snow condition only.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:34 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Freewilly' post='205548' date='Dec 1 2005, 12:29 AM
Does 530xi all-wheel-drive handle better on dry condition?? Other sports car makers make all-wheel-drive to increase handling on race track. But somehow everyone is talking about how 530xi handles on the snow condition only.
good question - I want to know
Old 12-01-2005, 07:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by dgjk' post='205553
good question - I want to know
[/quote]

I don't think we have any definitive test data for xi cars yet, but there is quite a bit of variance between the 530i sport and non-sport. The different sized tires and ARS might have a bit to do with that:

Car and Driver test of 530i Sport with Dunlop RFTs - .90g
Car and Driver test of 530i non-sport with Conti - .82g

Also, AWD passenger cars can be tricky to get right. I've driven ones that were very flat and neutral, and I actually owned one that I could wag the tail on all day long. Others still will plow (understeer) so much that it ruins any spirited driving.

Quick Reply: 530i and 530xi -- need help with decision