E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

530d Turbo Blown

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 04:46 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

AFAIK BMW still do not consider this part as a service scheduled part ? that said I would assume they are actively retrofitting earlier cars with the updated design of CC breather filters........one would assume, its still worth asking and getting done IMHO.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:21 AM
mja
Members

My Ride: Had: 530D 170kW Black 6MT

Originally Posted by Phantom Mark' post='768505' date='Jan 15 2009, 02:46 PM
AFAIK BMW still do not consider this part as a service scheduled part ? that said I would assume they are actively retrofitting earlier cars with the updated design of CC breather filters........one would assume, its still worth asking and getting done IMHO.
Do you know if the M57N2:s got/get the new filter by default? Mine's one of the first M57N2:s.

Thanks,
Old 01-15-2009, 05:34 AM
Members

My Ride: my ride 04 530d ,m5 body kit,19"m5 spider rims,,

Originally Posted by Adam_B' post='767517' date='Jan 14 2009, 04:55 AM
Hi Guys,

I have just joined this forum in need of some help. I have an e60 04 plate BMW 530d. I bought it in November 2007 from a BMW dealership for ?19000 and it had covered 38000 miles. The warranty ran out on it in November 2008 but we also had a service pack included so have had it serviced on time at BMW. In October of last year it had a major service on about 50000 miles. I work in Milton Keynes but live in North Yorkshire and during my drive down here on Monday morning, when I got to Milton keynes I noticed that the car was making a horrible noise every time I accelerated. I called BMW in Milton Keynes and they came and collected the car yesterday morning. They have since called back advising that the Turbo has blown and that it will require ?3900 to fix it (new turbo, full exhaust, intercooler etc). I was shocked to hear this as the car has only covered 55000 and will be 5 years old next month. It is not really something I would expect to happen at that age/mileage. As it is out of warranty BMW will not pay for it although the technician who has been looking at it says he will raise it with BMW to see if they wil cover any of the cost as a good will gesture. Has this happened to anyone else at all and can anyone help me as I really dont know what to do? I have even thought about part ex for something else down at the BMW garage but I really dont know what my best option is. I feel that BMW should cover all the cost for this because it should not happen???

Thanks
hi mate same thing happenened to christmas eve,it sucks ,have a few days to think about it i done the same posted it here and got that anwser off one of the lads ,anyway i bought a turbo from a turbo dealer and got a dealer that serviced all my car to have a look ,so he took off the exhaust turned upside down let the oil run out of it, then fit the new turbo and a full service, it runs 100% a little smokey th first run but i gave it a good run the next day and it was fine so i saved a packed,,best of luck
Old 01-15-2009, 06:08 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mja' post='768513' date='Jan 15 2009, 02:21 PM
Do you know if the M57N2:s got/get the new filter by default? Mine's one of the first M57N2:s.

Thanks,
No idea, but I have the same engine, maybe someone else will know that ???

At least we got updated Swirl flaps tho
Old 01-15-2009, 06:32 AM
mja
Members

My Ride: Had: 530D 170kW Black 6MT

Originally Posted by Phantom Mark' post='768537' date='Jan 15 2009, 04:08 PM

Not wanting to steal the thread too much, but does the intake manifold/agr/stuff around the updated swirl flaps need regular cleaning though?

Thanks, will shut up now,
Old 01-15-2009, 07:06 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Phantom Mark' post='768537' date='Jan 15 2009, 03:08 PM

Mines a 54, m57n and has the updated swirl flaps , think it was mid 04 that revision was made so was done on the last bunch of m57n's
Old 01-15-2009, 07:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Decided to change my CC Breather today and am currently half way through doing the job now.....just having a coffee break!

It is a straight forward job, albeit there are a number of parts / panels that need removing to gain full access - nothing major though. I'm also installing a new Air Filter whilst it is stripped down - I'm still on the original @ 36k (CBS recons every 3rd oil service).

Interestingly though, the new part I have bought is exactly the same as the old one - same part no, everything! So, as mine is an LCI, it must already have the 'updated' part fitted. Remember though, mine is actually the 525d 3.0 engine and not the 530d 3.0 engine. Mine doesn't have the Oil Separator at all for example so there are differences - at least I don't have the dreaded swirl flaps!

Anyway, this will at least give me peace of mind as my car is often found ploddy up and down the motorways of the UK - got a 500 mile round trip tomorrow for instance, and I don't want it to suddenly let me down.....!

I'll report back when finished!
Old 01-15-2009, 11:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

All back together now, with new Crankcase Breather & Air Filter fitted. Took me about 1.5 hours to do, but that was really taking my time, and with a 'coffee break' midway through.

Have driven the car and all seems well. With regards the Air Filter, I have read many comments on how much debris, leaves etc. people have found in the air box when replacing the Filter. To be honest, mine wasn't all that bad, sure there was some junk in there but not as much as I'd expected as the car has done 36k without the Filter ever changing.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:03 PM
Senior Members

Good job mate, well done
Old 01-16-2009, 12:19 AM
Members

Just to keep you guys updated......
I have spoken to BMW this morning and there are 2 parts waiting on back order. They expect them to come in during the next 7-10 working days so it looks like I will be without my car for a while. I cant even get a courtesy car off them as they are all booked out. They have pencilled one in for me though on the 27th Jan but I would like to think I will have my car back by then.

I will keep you updated!!

Quick Reply: 530d Turbo Blown