E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

530d Turbo Blown

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 09:01 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Late 2005 M5 in Silverstone Metallic II with Full Black Leather Interior. SMG, LOGIC7, Heated Front Seats, Rear Electric Sun Blind, Comms Package, Professional Nav, TV Function, Extended Voice Control, Adaptive Headlights

Agree about the warranty up to date side of things... My car came with an extended warranty as it was an Approved Used Car from BMW, so when the warranty is finished after this year, i'll be extending it. For the sake of ?980 GBP, it's worth every penny!!
Old 01-14-2009, 09:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by Jon M5' post='767782' date='Jan 14 2009, 06:01 PM
Agree about the warranty up to date side of things... My car came with an extended warranty as it was an Approved Used Car from BMW, so when the warranty is finished after this year, i'll be extending it. For the sake of ?980 GBP, it's worth every penny!!
Is that a comprehensive BMW warranty and what model is it for? Do you have to pay this all up front in one go or do they do a monthly option?
Old 01-14-2009, 09:44 AM
Ian
Members

My Ride: 530D SE

Adam, Glad you're sorted. My turbo also went at about 55K on my 2004 530D. Luckily I was still in warranty but they did say it would cost about ?4K if I was paying. Changed turbo, exhaust, sensors and whatever. I'm at about 90K miles now.

On the goodwill front, my passenger heated seat just failed. My drivers side failed when in warranty. When i raised this with BMW UK they offered to pay for the seat (whole new base = ?400+VAT) and I pay for labour (still ?320 mind!). All sorted this week.

Worth an email if you think something fundamental is wrong with an aspect of the car!

Ian.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Late 2005 M5 in Silverstone Metallic II with Full Black Leather Interior. SMG, LOGIC7, Heated Front Seats, Rear Electric Sun Blind, Comms Package, Professional Nav, TV Function, Extended Voice Control, Adaptive Headlights

Originally Posted by Palmo' post='767787' date='Jan 14 2009, 06:08 PM
Is that a comprehensive BMW warranty and what model is it for? Do you have to pay this all up front in one go or do they do a monthly option?
Call your dealer to make sure, but as far as i'm aware, it's a mechanical BMW warranty. Not sure if it's comprehensive. I don't think they do a monthly option. I have always paid up front. And as for model, it's around the same price throughout the model range as far was i'm aware.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:36 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Palmo' post='767740' date='Jan 14 2009, 05:00 PM
Thank-you very much! You say in your thread that it "requires removing lots of part" - can you expand on this? Obviously the engine cover needs to be removed and then I take it the air filter assembly needs removing - as I've had a quick look at this before but never done it, can you give me an idea on what needs doing to remove the air filter assembly - Cheers!
Didnt take any pics of that part of the job but quite straightforward, the engine cover / pollen filter boxes / strut brace needs removing. The air filter box is in 2 parts all held together by m6 cap head screws.
The filter box does seem to be a vacuum cleaner for leaves, couldnt believe how full of leaves it was as it had only been off a couple of months before.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:44 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Palmo' post='767650' date='Jan 14 2009, 03:16 PM
Thanks very much for this Anzafin!

Can anyone confirm this is indeed the "crankcase breather filter"? - Phantom Mark?

Also, does anyone know how much these are?
I paid ?17.35 + vat from the dealer
Old 01-15-2009, 12:51 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Phantom Mark' post='767678' date='Jan 14 2009, 03:48 PM
Yuppo, as above, thats the kiddy, and worth making sure is replaced, as it can cause backpressure in the oil system, and possible Turbo failure.
After reading the thread regarding changing the crankcase filter the filter seems quite corse. I don't believe this would ever block. The only reason to change maybe foam degredation over time. These foam style filters are only about 50% efficient. The new style Vortex filters use a cyclonic motion to separte oil particles from the blowby gas and again are not very efficient. Maybe about again only 50% gravimetric efficiency. I will buy both styles and test them at work and post the results.

If in theory the filter was to block, you would get high +ve crankcase pressures (crankcase prefers to be slightly -ve). In turn could get leaks from a number of crankcase seals (extreme) but more importantly prevents turbo oil from draining correctly into the sump reducing turbo cooling and lubrication and excess presssure could cause turbo seal damage. (Hence higher back pressure in the oil system as Marks says) Just my 2pence worth!
Old 01-15-2009, 01:24 AM
Members

?980 Sounds steep to me, must be the comp warranty.

I'm also sure that BMW now do a range of warranties - including those where you pay an Excess should anything break - like paying the first ?500 etc. That makes more sense, and you should call BMW UK to confirm this. I thought I read somewhere that the warranties start at ?499 per year...

It might be worth risking it and relying on BMW's good will for year 4 provided you have FBMWSH - just a thought - should still be cheaper if they say you pay a proportion of the Labour should something go pop!!!

There are loads of other companies that do extended used car warranties, but the BMW includes BMW Recovery too, where even the standard RAC/AA ones can cost well over ?100 with Homestart etc.

I'll certainly buy one....
Old 01-15-2009, 03:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

FYI - they redesigned the filter to the current design because the originals clogged up and introduced back pressure into the oil system leading to potential turbo failure amoung other things, this first became evident on the M47 engines fitted to the 320d's

One fitted with the newer revised CC filter it should in theory give no further problems, also interesting is that Landrover has now introduced CC breather filters into the regular maintainance routines on vehicles fitted with M47 engines ( Ie TD4 Landrover Freelander ) because of all the warranty claims etc ) IIRC they now change at 30k miles
Old 01-15-2009, 03:56 AM
Members

I am glad this has sparked a bit of a debate on here. I certainly wouldnt wish anyone to go through the same thing as I did although all has worked out well in the end. I am not sure when I will be getting my car back yet though although I cant push them too hard to get it done quickly as it is only going to cost me a max of ?500.

Should the crankcase filter be changed during a service at all? i.e my car went through a major service at 50000 miles about 3 months ago and I wonder if this was the cause of my turbo blowing?

Quick Reply: 530d Turbo Blown