E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

530d Turbo Blown

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 12:55 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hi Guys,

I have just joined this forum in need of some help. I have an e60 04 plate BMW 530d. I bought it in November 2007 from a BMW dealership for ?19000 and it had covered 38000 miles. The warranty ran out on it in November 2008 but we also had a service pack included so have had it serviced on time at BMW. In October of last year it had a major service on about 50000 miles. I work in Milton Keynes but live in North Yorkshire and during my drive down here on Monday morning, when I got to Milton keynes I noticed that the car was making a horrible noise every time I accelerated. I called BMW in Milton Keynes and they came and collected the car yesterday morning. They have since called back advising that the Turbo has blown and that it will require ?3900 to fix it (new turbo, full exhaust, intercooler etc). I was shocked to hear this as the car has only covered 55000 and will be 5 years old next month. It is not really something I would expect to happen at that age/mileage. As it is out of warranty BMW will not pay for it although the technician who has been looking at it says he will raise it with BMW to see if they wil cover any of the cost as a good will gesture. Has this happened to anyone else at all and can anyone help me as I really dont know what to do? I have even thought about part ex for something else down at the BMW garage but I really dont know what my best option is. I feel that BMW should cover all the cost for this because it should not happen???

Thanks
Old 01-14-2009, 01:02 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Ouch, sorry to hear that...

I have a 2004 530d also, now 94000kms done. I'm the second owner, and the first owner told me that BMW wanted to replace the turbo after first 20000kms. He said there was nothing wrong with it, and they (BMW) had said that the factory wanted to do it for a bunch of cars.

I hope you get it solved easily.
Welcome to the forums too!
Old 01-14-2009, 01:18 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Adam_B' post='767517' date='Jan 14 2009, 11:55 AM
Hi Guys,

I have just joined this forum in need of some help. I have an e60 04 plate BMW 530d. I bought it in November 2007 from a BMW dealership for ?19000 and it had covered 38000 miles. The warranty ran out on it in November 2008 but we also had a service pack included so have had it serviced on time at BMW. In October of last year it had a major service on about 50000 miles. I work in Milton Keynes but live in North Yorkshire and during my drive down here on Monday morning, when I got to Milton keynes I noticed that the car was making a horrible noise every time I accelerated. I called BMW in Milton Keynes and they came and collected the car yesterday morning. They have since called back advising that the Turbo has blown and that it will require ?3900 to fix it (new turbo, full exhaust, intercooler etc). I was shocked to hear this as the car has only covered 55000 and will be 5 years old next month. It is not really something I would expect to happen at that age/mileage. As it is out of warranty BMW will not pay for it although the technician who has been looking at it says he will raise it with BMW to see if they wil cover any of the cost as a good will gesture. Has this happened to anyone else at all and can anyone help me as I really dont know what to do? I have even thought about part ex for something else down at the BMW garage but I really dont know what my best option is. I feel that BMW should cover all the cost for this because it should not happen???

Thanks
Price is terrible!? And why the exhust pipe must be replaced. Intercooler must be changed, that I can understand.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:27 AM
Members

Well they have advised me that the oil has sprayed down the full exhaust system?? I feel like they are taking me for a ride!!
Old 01-14-2009, 01:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 520d Touring - Metalic Black with cream leather interior

Hi there,

My turbo blew on my 06 E61 520d a couple of weeks before Christmas. It is still under warranty, so didn't cost anything to repair, but when I had it done, all they replaced was the turbo and gasket on the oil return pipe. No mention of the other things that you have been told need changing (intercooler and new exhaust). It might be different for your model though. I would push for BMW to pay for yours too.

Best of luck with getting this sorted.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:35 AM
Members

Hi,

Thanks for that. I must admit everyone I have spoken is questioning why they are replcing so many parts. I have raised it with BMW for them to pay for this or contribute towards it and will hopefully hear back today. The technician has also advised that the reason it blew was down to mechanical failure so I hope they will pay for it but who knows? At the moment I am stuck away from home with no car and mine in bits at the garage!!
Old 01-14-2009, 02:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

afaik BMW have the policy of expecting parts to last 100,000 miles, if they don't last that long they often will offer some kind of good will..........thats my experience having been around BMW forums of various types for a number of years now
Old 01-14-2009, 03:00 AM
Members

Thanks for that. I do hope they will cover some kind of cost for the repair then. I am hoping they will pay for at the very least all of the parts and that I will have to cover the labour costs. I am going there at lunch time to see what I can find out. Does anyone know how long it usually takes for them to come to a decision? And how much labour would be involved for the repair?

Thanks for everyone who has taken time to help me out so far!! Great Forum!!
Old 01-14-2009, 03:43 AM
Senior Members

If the turbo has blown, it may be easier to get this repaired at a independant dealer. You could get the independant to clean out the exhaust and intecooler and just replace the turbo and oil feed pipe. Not a hard job
Old 01-14-2009, 04:52 AM
Members

Well, I have just been to BMW and they are still waiting to hear back from head office regarding any goodwill gesture payment. They also said they would give me ?4.5K for the car in its current state!! I told them to get lost!! I paid ?19k for it just over 1 year ago. They then said that if it was in full working order they would give me ?9k. No point in selling it so I have to continue with the repair and hope that BMW come back offering to pay some towards it.
I have spoken to a garage near my home who said they would replace the turbo and then clean the exhaust and intercooler. Works out at about ?1700 max. BUT!!!!!! AS I HAVE BEEN TYPING BMW HAVE JUST CALLED BACK TO SAY THAT THEY WILL PAY FOR ALL THE PARTS AND COVER 80% OF THE LABOUR COSTS!!!! WHAT A RESULT!!! It will now only cost me a max of ?500!! I cant believe it. I feel like I have won the lottery!!

Thanks to everyone for their help on here once again!!

Quick Reply: 530d Turbo Blown