E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

530d egr

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009 | 01:03 AM
Senior Members

Does not look like there will be a quick fix

An intake pressure and exhaust pressure of an engine are predicted from a fresh air flowrate in a diesel engine comprising an exhaust gas recirculation system and a sensor for detecting the fresh air flowrate. A fault in the system is diagnosed based on the predicted intake pressure and exhaust pressure. Preferably, fault diagnosis in the exhaust gas recirculation system is based on a differential pressure between the intake pressure and exhaust pressure, or on a comparison of an estimated EGR rate and target EGR rate found from the intake pressure and exhaust pressure, without providing any special sensors. Smoke emission is also reduced by limiting the maximum fuel injection amount of the engine

The present invention provides improvements in EGR control system of a diesel engine by limiting the maximum fuel, in amount, to be drawn into the engine cylinder and EGR rate in response to result of monitoring performance of EGR control. When the actual performance of EGR control falls outside of a predetermined window around the normal performance of EGR control, the maximum fuel is reduced and a throttle valve in the air intake path is fully opened

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=6QzSnUS...esnum=2#PPR1,M1

I know if the mixture is leaner a diesel engine will pick up quicker that might explain why our cars feel a we bit sharper and you guys are getting better mpg. Looks like if the ECU sees an EGR fault it reduces the amount of fuel injected. So does this mod actually make our cars slower? I think it would have to be tested on the dyno to find out.
Old 06-03-2009 | 02:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

Could be, my 320d never had all those sensors and malarky which is why it was super easy to bypass it with no aparant consequences

Looking increasingly like we need an ECU mod which so far has proved fruitless with several companies I have called.
Old 06-03-2009 | 02:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Phantom Mark' post='899218' date='Jun 3 2009, 11:04 AM
Could be, my 320d never had all those sensors and malarky which is why it was super easy to bypass it with no aparant consequences

Looking increasingly like we need an ECU mod which so far has proved fruitless with several companies I have called.
You dont think a reduced bore blanking plug would be effective Mark ?
Old 06-03-2009 | 02:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

Im really not qualified to say Rob, im as much guessing with this as you are buddy, however if its not much hassle for you its definately worth a try for sure ?

For me personally its about stopping recirculated gasses going into my inlet manifold in the first place, rather than just the smoother airflow and performance, if you've taken a look at my link above you can understand why I want to stop that happening on my engine
Old 04-29-2010 | 03:59 AM
Members

any progess here? Also would this not possibly be harmfull for the exhaust emissions particle filter?
Old 07-16-2010 | 01:28 PM
Members

I got this problem today after removing the swirl flaps and cleaning the EGR. I will try disconnecting the battery and checking the cables. If it doesnt make the error go away. I will close off the vacuum tube and drive without.

I used to do almost 33mpg average and i will see what it will do after.