E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

530d - Broken Swirl flap = Broken Engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 09:20 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by BasRed' post='589976' date='May 28 2008, 06:09 PM
Anzafin, you're a star!

Thank you so much again for your information. I'm about to go on holiday for a week but when I come back I'm gonna slap my dealer around the head with this information! ;-)
Thank you guys, but the power is in this community of ours!

I hope too RobyO gets his car fixed soon .
And with a reasonable settlement! Can you tell us anything new RobyO?
Old 05-28-2008, 12:45 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2003 Titangrau 530d, Active Steering, Dynamic Drive, Three-spoke Sport leather steering wheel, Electric Glass Sunroof, Rear-view and folding exterior mirrors (auto dimming), Interior trim - Pappel Maser braun, Cup holders front and rear, Comfort seats, Seat heating, front, Headlight wash, Xenon headlights and Adaptive headlights, Park Distance Control front and rear, Air conditioning (automatic with extended features), Interior lights package, Dakota leather upholstery, Navigation system - Business, LOGIC7 Professional

Originally Posted by Anzafin' post='590066' date='May 28 2008, 07:20 PM
Thank you guys, but the power is in this community of ours!

I hope too RobyO gets his car fixed soon .
And with a reasonable settlement! Can you tell us anything new RobyO?
Hello guys,

I have moved the car to another BMW service dealer, who knows something about customer care. This dealer told me they would make a report (after the computer analysis) and send it to BMW AG in Germany. It remains to see if BMW Germany is willing enough to help me with the payement of the repair/new engine. I also contacted the customer service center of BMW Belgium, and they told me it is definately a known problem and that BMW never recalled any of the affected models.
They also told me that the new 3.0d engine has been entirely redesigned to meet Euro 4 regulations. They told me that the swirl flaps had also been redesigned. So I'm surprised to read that Palmo couldn't see any swirl flaps in his intake manifold. I hope this will be cleared out in a couple of days when I have detailed info from the dealer.

I will contact the dealer by the end of this week to see if they have had any response yet from BMW Germany.

I saw some posts where people insisted on the fact that flooring the gaspedal with a cold engine is very bad. I am totally aware that parts that are liquid cooled need extra care before the coolant reaches optimal temperature. I take very good care of my car.
The fact that an axle of a swirl flap broke is a whole different story. This can happen even if you drive gently, when the engine is still cold. This is due to the fact that the original design if the swirl flaps is under-dimensioned. This is also the reason BMW changed the design of the intake manifold.

I will post further info by the end of this week.

Thank you for all your support.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by RobyO' post='590217' date='May 28 2008, 09:45 PM
Hello guys,

I have moved the car to another BMW service dealer, who knows something about customer care. This dealer told me they would make a report (after the computer analysis) and send it to BMW AG in Germany. It remains to see if BMW Germany is willing enough to help me with the payement of the repair/new engine. I also contacted the customer service center of BMW Belgium, and they told me it is definately a known problem and that BMW never recalled any of the affected models.
They also told me that the new 3.0d engine has been entirely redesigned to meet Euro 4 regulations. They told me that the swirl flaps had also been redesigned. So I'm surprised to read that Palmo couldn't see any swirl flaps in his intake manifold. I hope this will be cleared out in a couple of days when I have detailed info from the dealer.

I will contact the dealer by the end of this week to see if they have had any response yet from BMW Germany.

I saw some posts where people insisted on the fact that flooring the gaspedal with a cold engine is very bad. I am totally aware that parts that are liquid cooled need extra care before the coolant reaches optimal temperature. I take very good care of my car.
The fact that an axle of a swirl flap broke is a whole different story. This can happen even if you drive gently, when the engine is still cold. This is due to the fact that the original design if the swirl flaps is under-dimensioned. This is also the reason BMW changed the design of the intake manifold.

I will post further info by the end of this week.

Thank you for all your support.
Well fingers crossed, you have a case here especially as BMW Belgium have admitted there is a 'known' problem!

With regards to my LCI - all I can say is that today I looked on mine - but with the manifold still attached to the car - and it is definitely different to the pictures contained earlier in this thread - there is certainly no 'rod'. What confuses me however, is the comment that the 'new' 3.0d was redesigned to meet Euro 4? Aren't pre-LCI cars also Euro 4 - I thought they were - maybe some of the original e60's aren't?. I'm still becoming quite sure that the LCI's don't have the flaps either way.

Regarding wear & tear - it's not so much the coolant that needs to reach temperature as it is the engine oil - this is vital for full protection (at which point the coolant will be up to temperature anyway). I do fully agree with your comments that the axle of a swirl flap braking is a whole different story and wasn't saying that you don't take care of your car with my comments.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:50 AM
Members

Hi all, new to this (first post) and just wanted to share detail on a E60 530d "53" auto that I purchased in Nov 2008 from uk main bmw dealer. Point here is that I have been told by service advisor at my local dealer that the engine was replaced at 39000 miles in mid 2005 under warranty. Anyone able to tell me whether as a matter of course, the swirl flaps modifications / upgrades would have been implemented at this time? Also, I am approaching 90,000 miles with full bmw service history and a 1 year bmw unlimited miles warranty to nov09. Are there examples of successful high mileage experiences and what should I keep an eye out for during this warranty period for instance. I have purchased this car as a reasonably priced high spec economical and comfortable motorway "workhorse" hoping that it will last another 2 years and 80,000 miles! Unfortunately taken on a 2 year work contract which although lucrative, will result in requirement for at least 40,000 miles a year in this car (mainly motorway miles) 41mpg average to date! At least a contrast to my daily train rat race commute to London each day in past work life!
Thanks in advance. Just keen to gain some piece of mind or be aware of cautionary advice I suppose. Purchased at good price from main dealer but high miles are in the back of my mind though obvioulsy helps to know warranty in place for most of this year, which i assume covers most major problems.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:36 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Surrey530d' post='782310' date='Feb 1 2009, 10:50 AM
Hi all, new to this (first post) and just wanted to share detail on a E60 530d "53" auto that I purchased in Nov 2008 from uk main bmw dealer. Point here is that I have been told by service advisor at my local dealer that the engine was replaced at 39000 miles in mid 2005 under warranty. Anyone able to tell me whether as a matter of course, the swirl flaps modifications / upgrades would have been implemented at this time?
I've got an E60 530D, first registered in Jan.'05, but built in July '04. Being concerned about the swirl flaps, I removed the inlet manifold to have a look, and discovered that they were in fact the modified 4.5 mm type. However, not wanting to be one of the first of the modified clan to experience the swallowing of a flap, I went ahead and removed them. I haven't noticed any difference whatsoever in the running of the car, and I feel much happier now that they're gone. So, to answer your particular question, from that, it would appear that your new engine will almost certainly have the modified type fitted.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:22 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by eddie12' post='782324' date='Feb 1 2009, 02:36 PM
I've got an E60 530D, first registered in Jan.'05, but built in July '04. Being concerned about the swirl flaps, I removed the inlet manifold to have a look, and discovered that they were in fact the modified 4.5 mm type. However, not wanting to be one of the first of the modified clan to experience the swallowing of a flap, I went ahead and removed them. I haven't noticed any difference whatsoever in the running of the car, and I feel much happier now that they're gone. So, to answer your particular question, from that, it would appear that your new engine will almost certainly have the modified type fitted.
Good for you!
I'm going to remove them too. I planned next saturday, so a DIY will be available on sunday for you who are considering it .
Well, if everything works out .
Old 02-01-2009, 08:39 AM
Contributors

i look forward to this diy,
i expect my 530d has them, but can anybody confirm if my 535d (2005) has them also? if so i want to remove them from both cars.

not going to DIY it though, im going to get a garrage/mechanic to do it for me...(not brave enough)
Old 02-01-2009, 08:40 AM
Contributors

PS...there is only 1 good place for flaps..............
Old 02-01-2009, 08:48 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Dr Dave' post='782434' date='Feb 1 2009, 07:39 PM
i look forward to this diy,
i expect my 530d has them, but can anybody confirm if my 535d (2005) has them also? if so i want to remove them from both cars.

not going to DIY it though, im going to get a garrage/mechanic to do it for me...(not brave enough)
According to this picture, they are in 535d too. A short tube from part number 1 goes into a little vacuum pump which moves the flaps.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:00 AM
Members

Do we actually know how many different people had this happen?

Eventhough it is terrible for the ones who had the flaps damaging their engines, I am under the impression that it is only a very small number of owners who actually
had problems.

Quick Reply: 530d - Broken Swirl flap = Broken Engine