E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

530 Self Leveling BiX light question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 06:50 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me?

I find the lights are pointed too far down so I don't get a great bit of distance with the lights when they self adjust. When I'm on a bit of an angle with the car in my driveway, I wish the lights were like that always.

On a side note, is it normal for one light to be slightly higher than the other? When I look at the beam pattern against a wall, I notice the left one is a bit higher.

Thanks everyone, I couldn't find this searching.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:39 AM
Members

bump
Old 12-08-2009, 08:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

When I bought my car in July, my lights were too high. I noticed right away that the headlights were shining in rearview mirrors and illuminating the tops of stop signs. After three trips to the dealer they were able to lower and balance the lights to my satisfaction. One trip resulted in low lights like you describe.
My headlights are 'adaptive' which I was told is trickier to adjust but the mission was eventually accomplished.
FYI, Parkview BMW in Toronto did the adjustments.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Dear JW-BENZ,

I had the same feeling even before I lowered my car (in spring this year).

Now it's a real problem, but I will take my car for the first service 12_17
and I have ordered a "light adjustment".

All Xenons are self adjusting, but after the lowering I'm sure they are not "in specs".

Also a non lowered car has only the "factory settings" and they are not always optimum.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:39 AM
Senior Members

In addition to what was written already, I believe that one light (the left one actually) should be a bit lower in order not to blind drivers coming against you. While the right one is a bit higher in order to make pedestrians etc. visible. At least its that way on my car and I thought this would be the logical explanation.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='1070318' date='Dec 8 2009, 01:49 PM
Dear JW-BENZ,

I had the same feeling even before I lowered my car (in spring this year).

Now it's a real problem, but I will take my car for the first service 12_17
and I have ordered a "light adjustment".

All Xenons are self adjusting, but after the lowering I'm sure they are not "in specs".

Also a non lowered car has only the "factory settings" and they are not always optimum.
Ricracing, I was told by the SA that the factory settings have a 'range' as opposed to one specific setting. I was quite surprised at the range so your lowering can probably be compensated.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:18 PM
Members

I will take it over to TechMax, it's a BMW independent with all the software in my area. They are amazing and don't rip you off. I paid $150 to update my iDrive which was NEVER done once, which is strange for a 3 year old car, and also turn on my day time lights when I bought the car to Canada from the U.S. BMW dealership wanted $375 for the light activation alone!