E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

525i Engine/coolant temp low and little to no heat

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 12:09 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 530I

Originally Posted by kobolt60
As I logg the coolant temp via OBD Bluetooth adapter and Torque PRO I see pretty accurat when I use the diagram time vs temp. I Would say that it takes 7-8 min to reach 80 degC when cruise in ECO mode...... Ambient temp is about 10 degC now.

Im still suspecting the front ABS- speed senors. .....

Torgny
Ok just to be sure what do you mean by Eco mode? I know it's a mode but what is you driving that indicates that you are in that mode? It takes me about 16-17 min. To reach 80c with driving from 80 to 120 km/t speed

When did you realise that you had at cooling problem, after radiator shift or?
Old 05-12-2015, 02:00 AM
New Members

My Ride: E61 525i 2005

Hi all,

Similar problems with my N52B25 E61 BMW. Radiator changed and now engine temp won't rise to 97C without blocking "kidneys" and holes below "kidneys". Without blocking engine temp max ~70C, when outside temp 0C.

Both thermostat have been changed twice --> no changes to engine temp

HCV also changed --> no changes to engine temp

Heating problem is solved, if I plug transmission oil cooler line before it goes to radiator or after it comes out from automatic transmission thermostat (see attachment). When this hose is plugged mapped thermostat work exactly like it should (link page 55)

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/attac...6&d=1421081247

It just seems, that water pump is running too fast and I cannot find the reason. Cooling water is running through radiator to oil cooler bypass line and continuing through main thermostat bypass line to engine.

To get rid of this frustrating problem I ordered hose thermostat (82C) to oil cooler line. I will install it after summer, unless there a no better solution.
Attached Thumbnails 525i Engine/coolant temp low and little to no heat-n52.jpg  
Old 05-12-2015, 02:49 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by RakDDD
Hi all,

Similar problems with my N52B25 E61 BMW. Radiator changed and now engine temp won't rise to 97C without blocking "kidneys" and holes below "kidneys". Without blocking engine temp max ~70C, when outside temp 0C.

Heating problem is solved, if I plug transmission oil cooler line before it goes to radiator or after it comes out from automatic transmission thermostat (see attachment). When this hose is plugged mapped thermostat work exactly like it should (link page 55)

It just seems, that water pump is running too fast and I cannot find the reason. Cooling water is running through radiator to oil cooler bypass line and continuing through main thermostat bypass line to engine.

To get rid of this frustrating problem I ordered hose thermostat (82C) to oil cooler line. I will install it after summer, unless there a no better solution.

Hi

Ohh its nice that there are one more with the same problem(of course not for you:-)

I just has to understand the Things you are plugging? as i can see then the transmission does the cooled Down im i wrong?

Will you try to change the stat only the goes to the transmission or?

The new radiator is that a OE or something else? and did you get at new hose with the blocked tube

Whats HCV?

Best Regards
Old 05-12-2015, 02:56 AM
New Members

Hi all,

Forgot to mention that its the fan that starts at 82c and cool the engine Down to 74c. it starts and stops all the time and thats is where we have to find the reason why the fans turn on at 82c(why its in Hyper+ mapped mode) even a speed of 80 km/t(not mph)
Old 05-12-2015, 03:43 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Don dario
Hi

Ohh its nice that there are one more with the same problem(of course not for you:-)

I just has to understand the Things you are plugging? as i can see then the transmission does the cooled Down im i wrong?

Will you try to change the stat only the goes to the transmission or?

The new radiator is that a OE or something else? and did you get at new hose with the blocked tube

Whats HCV?

Best Regards

I just has to understand the Things you are plugging? Transmission oil cooler line plugged.

as i can see then the transmission does the cooled Down im i wrong? No... Cooling water runs too fast through radiator and auto transmission bypass line to engine.

Will you try to change the stat only the goes to the transmission or? I will add a new hose thermostat to oil cooler hose, before it connects to radiator.

New radiator is OEM.

HCV=heater control valve
Old 05-12-2015, 03:45 AM
New Members

Forgot to mention that its the fan that starts at 82c and cool the engine Down to 74c. it starts and stops all the time and thats is where we have to find the reason why the fans turn on at 82c(why its in Hyper+ mapped mode) even a speed of 80 km/t(not mph)
Temperature sensor at lower coolant hose controls cooling fan. Check sensor with INPA.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:27 AM
New Members

I just has to understand the Things you are plugging? Transmission oil cooler line plugged.

as i can see then the transmission does the cooled Down im i wrong? No... Cooling water runs too fast through radiator and auto transmission bypass line to engine.

Will you try to change the stat only the goes to the transmission or? I will add a new hose thermostat to oil cooler hose, before it connects to radiator.

New radiator is OEM.

HCV=heater control valve
Ok im not i understand this:-) the hose you tælling abort do you have a oem number in that?

I have checked the temp sensor on the radiator and I have also replaced it but with out any luck( I'm a mechaninc but does not work as it anymore because of my back!)

You are running on 75-80 c right, please Check thats the fan that cool it's down all the time because it's in the hyper+ mapped mode as your referred to on page 55.

If the water runs to fans typical ip the water does not get cooled down enough but yeah on some system the radiator is big and then it cools it down very fast!

Please link a good picture of the hose part you will buy and try to changed, is it a oem?
Old 05-12-2015, 08:17 PM
New Members

Ok im not i understand this:-) the hose you tælling abort do you have a oem number in that?

I have checked the temp sensor on the radiator and I have also replaced it but with out any luck( I'm a mechaninc but does not work as it anymore because of my back!)

You are running on 75-80 c right, please Check thats the fan that cool it's down all the time because it's in the hyper+ mapped mode as your referred to on page 55.

If the water runs to fans typical ip the water does not get cooled down enough but yeah on some system the radiator is big and then it cools it down very fast!

Please link a good picture of the hose part you will buy and try to changed, is it a oem?
Part number 12... RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog

I have checked the fan... its not running all the time.

I have planned to add extra thermostat to part nro 12. It solves the heating issue.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:49 PM
New Members

I have planned to add extra thermostat to part nro 12. It solves the heating issue.

Hi

Ok so you put an ekstra thermstat between hose nr. 12?

MY fan does not run all the time but it cool the engine Down as soon it reaches about 84c and cool it Down to 72-74c
Are you sure yours not is doing this because most af the others i have wrote with there do the same. so thats the fan that keeps the engine at low temp.

The only think i can figure why my engine is a very longer til get warm then before, the fan does not come on before the 84c

Best Regards
Old 05-12-2015, 10:44 PM
New Members

Please pay attention at this below:-)

One of my BMW tech told me that BMW had changes the radiatortype (a spigot blocked) and a new hose is needed!

unfortunately my mechanics has replaced my radiator with the old type but i had blocked the hose with a brakehose Tool but without any luck:-(

Quick Reply: 525i Engine/coolant temp low and little to no heat