E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

525i Engine/coolant temp low and little to no heat

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 12:44 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 525i 2005

Originally Posted by Don dario
Please pay attention at this below:-)

One of my BMW tech told me that BMW had changes the radiatortype (a spigot blocked) and a new hose is needed!

unfortunately my mechanics has replaced my radiator with the old type but i had blocked the hose with a brakehose Tool but without any luck:-(

Interesting...

My new radiator does have the spigot, so it must be the old type. There are no new type radiators with plugged spigot? I need to check its OEM number.

If my radiator revealed to be old one, I think I cannot just plug the hose (part 12).. I need to add hose thermostat to it. Otherwise transmission could overheat?

Have you tried to take off wire from main thermostat? If heat issue is solved by this way, problem is DME. After wire is taken off, thermostat works only mechanically. There are N52 engines, which are stucked to high output mode (DME opens t-stat)
Old 05-13-2015, 02:17 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW E60 530I

Originally Posted by RakDDD
Interesting...

My new radiator does have the spigot, so it must be the old type. There are no new type radiators with plugged spigot? I need to check its OEM number.

If my radiator revealed to be old one, I think I cannot just plug the hose (part 12).. I need to add hose thermostat to it. Otherwise transmission could overheat?

Have you tried to take off wire from main thermostat? If heat issue is solved by this way, problem is DME. After wire is taken off, thermostat works only mechanically. There are N52 engines, which are stucked to high output mode (DME opens t-stat)
Hi

You dont has to be worry as it has nothing to do with the trans. and if you plug hose 12 is completely the same as put in the right one hose item 11(the BMW tech said to try this with blocking the hose). I have been driving with pluged hose see for a week but with no change but i woluld like others to try this and see if this changes someting see Picture:

Have you tried to deplug the thermostat and drive only en mechanic mode?

Where do you have the information from that some n52 are stuck in high output mode? , cause im sure thats one of my problems!

Im taking about 20 min, to get to 80c with outside temp at 10c.... how long time for you car to get from about 10c to 80c?
Old 05-13-2015, 02:44 AM
New Members

Hi

You dont has to be worry as it has nothing to do with the trans. and if you plug hose 12 is completely the same as put in the right one hose item 11(the BMW tech said to try this with blocking the hose). I have been driving with pluged hose see for a week but with no change but i woluld like others to try this and see if this changes someting see Picture:

Have you tried to deplug the thermostat and drive only en mechanic mode?

Where do you have the information from that some n52 are stuck in high output mode? , cause im sure thats one of my problems!

Im taking about 20 min, to get to 80c with outside temp at 10c.... how long time for you car to get from about 10c to 80c?
I have unplugged wire from main thermostat, but no help for engine temp. With wire off you will get engine temp to 97C (same as t-stat mechanical open temp). My problem seems to be water flow through radiator to engine... Starting from part 12 and continuing as typed earlier in this topic.

What is the meaning of part 12? REALOEM says, that is transmission cooling line. And water from that hose goes through radiator to transmission thermostat bypass etc. and finally to engine.

In finnish FORUM there a case, when unplugging helps.

I will check today how long does it take to get 80C.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:59 AM
New Members

I have unplugged wire from main thermostat, but no help for engine temp. With wire off you will get engine temp to 97C (same as t-stat mechanical open temp). My problem seems to be water flow through radiator to engine... Starting from part 12 and continuing as typed earlier in this topic.

What is the meaning of part 12? REALOEM says, that is transmission cooling line. And water from that hose goes through radiator to transmission thermostat bypass etc. and finally to engine.

In finnish FORUM there a case, when unplugging helps.

I will check today how long does it take to get 80C.

Ok i will try that in a couple of days and see if thats helps!

just to be specific i have 2 problems:

1. My engine does not run hotter than 72-84c below driving speed of 95 km/h! if i run over 95 km/h it gets about 97-98c but not near the ECO mode 111c?

2. My engine takes a long time to get hot (to 80c) when Cold(havent drive for 10-12 hours) it takes about 20 min. to reach 80c

Funny thing is sometimes if my engines is 80c and i went to gasstation for 5-10 minutes then its reaches quick 90-100c and then falls Down to 74-84 mode Again for the rest of the trip.,

The hose12 is the old version. 11 is the new! before the 11 was only to manual trans. but today that has changed so thats also to autotrans. please see Picture, that BMW ETK as BMW uses !

See the German text also:
Old 05-13-2015, 08:49 PM
New Members

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 525i-M Sports 05'
Model Year: 2005

I've noticed on mine that when you are completely stopped/idle the temperature would usually rise. so when don dario was at the gas station, temp rose and then dropped when he took off. Same symptoms.

I've got a heavy duty radiator with the old hose connection, Don pointed out that my radiator would be cooling the engine more than the normal radiator, this would make sense. Over the weekend I'd like to try and clamp that hose that connects to the bottom of the radiator spigot and see if anything changes. After which I might have to do another radiator change to see if this new one was the problem all along, pesky cheap radiators
Old 05-15-2015, 12:58 PM
New Members

My Ride: 530ix
Model Year: 2020

dumb question--but do you have an Idrive? my heat in the display was turned off (I think after a battery change) and even after I cranked it to hot using the dials it did not change the temp of the air blowing.

But car was not overheating and running fine. Turns out changing the icon on the display from three blue bars to three orange was also necessary--heat came on with a vengeance.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:55 AM
New Members

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 525i-M Sports 05'
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by funglenn
dumb question--but do you have an Idrive? my heat in the display was turned off (I think after a battery change) and even after I cranked it to hot using the dials it did not change the temp of the air blowing.

But car was not overheating and running fine. Turns out changing the icon on the display from three blue bars to three orange was also necessary--heat came on with a vengeance.
Yep I know about the heat bars in the climate control, they're all good and on full red. not a dumb question, could've been overlooked by someone new to E60
Old 05-17-2015, 10:12 PM
New Members

Hi

Can some of you try out how long time the engine takes to get from Cold til about 80c?

Please write what outside temp your got at your place also:-)
Old 05-18-2015, 01:02 AM
New Members

Hi

Can some of you try out how long time the engine takes to get from Cold til about 80c?

Please write what outside temp your got at your place also:-)
This morning outside temp 8C.. and after 10km (~80km/h) driving engine temp ~80C. After 15 over 90C. (This when part 12 hose plugged).

5 days ago outside temp 6C and none of hoses were plugged. Max engine temp, what I could reach was 78C.

My problem with with engine temp seems to be solved.. problem were part 12 hose (RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog)
Old 05-18-2015, 02:08 AM
New Members

This morning outside temp 8C.. and after 10km (~80km/h) driving engine temp ~80C. After 15 over 90C. (This when part 12 hose plugged).

5 days ago outside temp 6C and none of hoses were plugged. Max engine temp, what I could reach was 78C.

My problem with with engine temp seems to be solved.. problem were part 12 hose (RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog)

Hi Again

Ok but how long time driving for the 80c?

Ohh thants sound goog so you have to order the hose part 11 right? thats the right one if you have Automatic transmission,

The hose blocked does not helped at my problem because its the DME that cools mine Down. with the thermostat unplugged mine run just fine below 95 km/h also but as soon as i plug it in Again it runs the 72-84 c Again

Nice if i coluld help on your problem;-)

Quick Reply: 525i Engine/coolant temp low and little to no heat