E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

520d powerful enough?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 10:51 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='259256' date='Mar 24 2006, 01:15 AM
I'd like more info on that propane kit. It's the first time i hear about this. Is it really like a nos kit but for diesels? Any links?
Ok, so I was kind of joking, but not really. See, mainly propane kits are made for Turbo Diesel trucks. My uncle put one on his Dodge Ram cause he would tow a huge camper trailer and he didn't like how the truck would get bogged down going up large hills on the freeway, he also liked to mess with cars that would try to pass him while pulling a massive trailer. Once they would get beside him he would speed up, then they would full throttle it to pass him, and then he'd hit the propane switch and they'd be done for. He's kind of a weird guy. Kinda scary if you think about it, over 6 tons just barreling down the highway at 100+ MPH.

Anyway, these kits typically add 100+ horsepower and 150+ ft/lbs of torque. Some can go all the way up to 130+ horsepower and 300+ ft/lbs of torque, but I imagine those are for your big 7 liter truck engines. You also typically get between 5-10 MPG better fuel economy. Either way, I will look into it more for BMW diesel engines. I have a feeling it's probably not a very common thing, however if you know your way around an engine I bet this would be a pretty simple as well as killer mod. Most kit's for trucks are also between $500-$1000, but then you have to buy the tank for the diesel engine as well, probably another $500-$1000.

As for the draw backs, you need a tank that's about a third of the size of your gas tank, which is why it's usually only used for trucks. They just stick the tank in the bed of the truck and they're good to go. It's going to be hard to find a place to put it on the E60, maybe in the trunk where most people put huge subs (like me), but then you're loosing some storage space. Also, now you have to buy gas and propane, but propane is cheap so I think you're still saving money, not too mention you're saving money in the first place just by having a diesel.

Well, I hope that helps. I'll look into it more, and if someone knows something else about it please feel free to add. Also if you know it doesn't work for the E60 please feel free to tell me I'm an idiot for suggesting it.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:44 PM
Members

Nevermind - I totally agree with you. The 530d would be a great choice with or without auto. On a budget of ?35k + this would be a fine option. However if the budget is in the low ?30s and also a company car, then the 520d is really the wisest choice.

I suspect many outside the UK who are not familiar with UK BIK system for company cars would not realise that a 530d Auto would have a personal tax bill over double that of a 520d manual, not to mention the extra cost in higher diesel consumption.

The 525d is obviously in a no-mans-land. This does not make it a bad choice, it simply means there may be greater benefit in choosing a model which gives more value for money. The tax situation is in the middle, but performance is closer to 520d...case rested

The whole diesel arguament works brilliantly in the E60 and especially the E61, having more available torque than 520 and 523 petrol alternatives. Diesel engines suit cars which have a job to do, giving accessable power where real life driving requires it.

Finally, isn't it strange how a new car feels quick, but when accustomed to the power, eventually feels slow The warm feeling at the pump when filling a 520d lasts forever
Old 03-24-2006, 01:57 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Heiss5' post='259504' date='Mar 24 2006, 11:51 PM
Ok, so I was kind of joking, but not really. See, mainly propane kits are made for Turbo Diesel trucks. My uncle put one on his Dodge Ram cause he would tow a huge camper trailer and he didn't like how the truck would get bogged down going up large hills on the freeway, he also liked to mess with cars that would try to pass him while pulling a massive trailer. Once they would get beside him he would speed up, then they would full throttle it to pass him, and then he'd hit the propane switch and they'd be done for. He's kind of a weird guy. Kinda scary if you think about it, over 6 tons just barreling down the highway at 100+ MPH.

Anyway, these kits typically add 100+ horsepower and 150+ ft/lbs of torque. Some can go all the way up to 130+ horsepower and 300+ ft/lbs of torque, but I imagine those are for your big 7 liter truck engines. You also typically get between 5-10 MPG better fuel economy. Either way, I will look into it more for BMW diesel engines. I have a feeling it's probably not a very common thing, however if you know your way around an engine I bet this would be a pretty simple as well as killer mod. Most kit's for trucks are also between $500-$1000, but then you have to buy the tank for the diesel engine as well, probably another $500-$1000.

As for the draw backs, you need a tank that's about a third of the size of your gas tank, which is why it's usually only used for trucks. They just stick the tank in the bed of the truck and they're good to go. It's going to be hard to find a place to put it on the E60, maybe in the trunk where most people put huge subs (like me), but then you're loosing some storage space. Also, now you have to buy gas and propane, but propane is cheap so I think you're still saving money, not too mention you're saving money in the first place just by having a diesel.

Well, I hope that helps. I'll look into it more, and if someone knows something else about it please feel free to add. Also if you know it doesn't work for the E60 please feel free to tell me I'm an idiot for suggesting it.
Looool thanks for the info anyway man. I was just asking as i wanted to hear about this, only informative. I'm not going to bolt anything like that to my car. I sometimes have second thoughts about an ecu remap, but a thing like that is just nuts. Interesting to know there is such a thing.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 520d M-sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Auburn Leather - Mem Seat - Cup Holders - Nav Pro - Light Pack - Dim/folding mirrors - Adv Airco - PDC - Aux/in - Non-smoke pack - De-badged - Delivery Mar 31, 2006

In a test magazine, the diesel consumption of a 530d was almost the same as the 520d, probably because the 530d does not need to be pushed like the 520d to advance swiftly.

I did test drive all the diesels before making my choice.
My conclusion: a 525d feels to perform slightly better (due to the additional torque and being a 6cyl ?), but the 525d puts more weight on the scale (about 75kg) and that is killing its advantage over the 520d.

For performance, the 530d is the way to go, but money plays its role and taxes are killing the higher power engines in many countries (also here in Belgium).
So if you go for the 530d, you may as well go for the absolute powerhouse 535d. The only thing I missed on the test drive car was the landing gear
Old 03-24-2006, 11:40 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by E60525d' post='259491' date='Mar 24 2006, 07:25 PM
The 525d does not use more fuel than the 530d. The 525d is more economical.
Depends on the type of driving... Also the 525d has not received the latest diesel updates (lighter block, piezo injection) so it's comparing oranges and apples at the moment...
Old 03-24-2006, 11:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

I don't like auto box so 535d is not my way before it gets manual. I find auto box just too slow for my taste. So 530d is my number uno choice. Price difference between 525d and 530d is not so big even in Finland (about 4000,-?). Somehow I can't see me driving 520d. Still I can understand all You who drive it! After all e60/61 is always e60/61!

Skaffa
Old 03-24-2006, 11:58 PM
Senior Members

its ?4000 in the uk, thats a lot of money to me
Old 03-25-2006, 12:08 AM
New Members

My Ride: 520d M-Sport
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='259338' date='Mar 24 2006, 02:56 PM
The German carmagazine Auto Motor und Sport (a quality one) did pic the 530d as the best
buy of all E60's
530d is undoubtely the best buy, but, and it's a big but, it does becomes very expensive when the options list is added

I opted for a 520d SE manual, dakota leather, sports suspension, tow pack etc. I've now done 4500 miles and it's loosening up nicely. 80% of my miles are done driver only, and the UK roads are now such that speed is limited substantially over 10 years ago. When I appraised it all in (company car purchase) the 520d decision is as stated, a no-brainer (mines 18% BIC because I got in before end of 2005 ). I tow (car trailer!) and it's "ok". Fine with 4 adults but not going to set the world alight. But only 1 or 2 bodies in the car and it's a real fun drive Also, I averaged 41mpg on my last tank!

I can't see the point in spending more for a bigger engine in the UK!
Old 03-25-2006, 12:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Originally Posted by Bobbin-Man' post='259743' date='Mar 25 2006, 12:08 PM
For someone only bigest is enough!

SKaffa
Old 03-25-2006, 04:09 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Bobbin-Man' post='259743' date='Mar 25 2006, 09:08 AM
530d is undoubtely the best buy, but, and it's a big but, it does becomes very expensive when the options list is added

I opted for a 520d SE manual, dakota leather, sports suspension, tow pack etc. I've now done 4500 miles and it's loosening up nicely. 80% of my miles are done driver only, and the UK roads are now such that speed is limited substantially over 10 years ago. When I appraised it all in (company car purchase) the 520d decision is as stated, a no-brainer (mines 18% BIC because I got in before end of 2005 ). I tow (car trailer!) and it's "ok". Fine with 4 adults but not going to set the world alight. But only 1 or 2 bodies in the car and it's a real fun drive Also, I averaged 41mpg on my last tank!

520d is a really sensible and desireable company car choice. I've just opted out though (after 10 years of co cars) and ..... big engines suddenly look more fun

Personally - I'd have stuck with an e90 for a company car or even switched to a honda or lexus though, but then I don't absolutely need the extra space of an e60 - each to their own and good luck to them !

Quick Reply: 520d powerful enough?