E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

520d noise - please help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 12:50 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 520d noise - please help.

Hi there, I wonder if anyone could help or provide any assistance on a problem i appear to be having on my 2005 520d msport 92k FBMWSH.

After getting the car back after an oil and brake fluid & microfilter service from BMW I noticed a slight sound coming during acceleration from cold which i can only liken to an induction kit or k&n filters sound. The noise was not unpleasant and having had a few filters changed during the service i put it down to that.

On sunday when pulling away quickly from a junction there was an Almighty metal rasping/ scraping type sound whenever the turbo kicked in during acceleration. If i drove the car slowly there was no noise at all. On my return journey the metal noise was gone but the when the turbo kicks in its making a kind of howling sound with a slight whistle. The car is still pulling great with no noticeable loss in power just this noise.

Had it in at my local independant garage and they said the had had a good look at it and said they dont think it's the turbo as there's no sign of oil, smoke or leaks etc. Said they have checked hoses etc and cant see any prob.

I'm still thinking it is the turbo but don't know enough about it. Could it be a direct result of something the dealership has done or not done?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am not sure where to go from here.

Thanks in advance.

Ps I had my swirlflaps removed over three years ago when i bought the car if this makes any difference