E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

520D model with the shivers??

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 04:15 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 09 - 520d M Sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Black Dakota Leather Sports Seats electric- Auto Climate - Piano Black Bamboo - Antracite Headlining - Business Media Kit - Sat Nav - Bluetooth - CD Changer - Auxillary Port and USB - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Advanced Voice Rec - Auto Dim Mirror - Privacy Glass - 5 Year Service Inclusive Previous -06 - 525 M Sport - Steptronic - Sapphire Black - Black Nappa Leather Sports Seats - Auto Climate - Alluminium Cubed Interior - Anthracite Headliner - Business CD with Auxillary Port - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Bluetooth - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Spare Wheel kit - Advanced Voice Rec

Guy's,

I am hoping someone can help me. I have a 520d which is mt first foray into BMW diesel engines and I have a couple of questions that will probably be answered by our western european members as these seem to be the regions these models seem to sell well in.

My car is just over a year and I now have 25k miles on the clock. These have been completely trouble free but now I find that 1) when I put my car in reverse the car seems to shake and become very noisy, even when I put it into drive it is shivery for a little while then vanishes and drives as normal. This is usually after I hae driven 80 miles of my usual 200 miles journey home. 2) I tend to drive fast around the 90mph as my 200 mile journey to work is all motorway and i seem to here a noise from the front left wheel area. Have brought it to BMW and they have said they cant find anything? Ant ideas. 3) I see people keep on mentioning these flaps in the engine that seem to be problematic can anyone tell me what they are and why they can be a problem?

Thanks

Grinche
Old 07-11-2010, 11:41 AM
Members

My Ride: e60 520d 2006 model

[quote name='mr_grinche' date='10 July 2010 - 03:15 PM' timestamp='1278764149' post='1204246']
Guy's,

I am hoping someone can help me. I have a 520d which is mt first foray into BMW diesel engines and I have a couple of questions that will probably be answered by our western european members as these seem to be the regions these models seem to sell well in.

My car is just over a year and I now have 25k miles on the clock. These have been completely trouble free but now I find that 1) when I put my car in reverse the car seems to shake and become very noisy, even when I put it into drive it is shivery for a little while then vanishes and drives as normal. This is usually after I hae driven 80 miles of my usual 200 miles journey home. 2) I tend to drive fast around the 90mph as my 200 mile journey to work is all motorway and i seem to here a noise from the front left wheel area. Have brought it to BMW and they have said they cant find anything? Ant ideas. 3) I see people keep on mentioning these flaps in the engine that seem to be problematic can anyone tell me what they are and why they can be a problem?

Thanks

hello. I have the same car with 150000km done. What do you mean by saying flaps in the engine?
Old 07-11-2010, 02:19 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by mr_grinche
Guy's,

3) I see people keep on mentioning these flaps in the engine that seem to be problematic can anyone tell me what they are and why they can be a problem?

Thanks

Grinche

Originally Posted by zanetti
hello. I have the same car with 150000km done. What do you mean by saying flaps in the engine?
Read about the issue here!

- Antti -
Old 07-17-2010, 09:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 - 520d M Sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Black Dakota Leather Sports Seats electric- Auto Climate - Piano Black Bamboo - Antracite Headlining - Business Media Kit - Sat Nav - Bluetooth - CD Changer - Auxillary Port and USB - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Advanced Voice Rec - Auto Dim Mirror - Privacy Glass - 5 Year Service Inclusive Previous -06 - 525 M Sport - Steptronic - Sapphire Black - Black Nappa Leather Sports Seats - Auto Climate - Alluminium Cubed Interior - Anthracite Headliner - Business CD with Auxillary Port - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Bluetooth - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Spare Wheel kit - Advanced Voice Rec

Originally Posted by Anzafin
Read about the issue here!

- Antti -
Thanks for the information that is great. So Iam imagining that this problem has been sorted on my 09 2.0d engine on my E60 then and I neednt really worry about this issue?
Old 07-19-2010, 02:16 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by mr_grinche
Thanks for the information that is great. So Iam imagining that this problem has been sorted on my 09 2.0d engine on my E60 then and I neednt really worry about this issue?
When you can hear the dealer confirming you that it can't happen to your 09 model, I suggest you ask him/her to write it down with his/hers confirmative signature !

On the other hand, I'm not 100% sure if your car even has swirl flaps .

- Antti -