E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4WD trends

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 11:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today the global car industry estimate approx 12-13% of the car sales to be cars with 4WD. 15 years ago this number was less than 2%. A couple of years ago BMW did not even offer 4WD for their 5-series but times have changed along with new market demands and competition. Before the new cost/efficient solutions 4WD was considered an unnecessary option mostly because of price. With cost going down fast 4WD makes more and more sense for everybody.

The major reasons for an increased share of 4WD vs 2WD are:

1) Improved technology and durability
2) Less cost per unit
3) A increased consumer demand
4) A big improvement in driving safety
5) etc.

15 years from now it is probably true to estimate the 4WD share to be 80% leaving only small city cars run on 2WD.

So today it is becoming more and more relevant to ask yourself why you should NOT chose 4WD for your new car. A few suggestions might apply but they are being less important as time goes by.

1) Increased fuel consumption
2) Increased service and maintenance cost
3) Design issues (ride height etc.)
4) Lack of that slip'n'slidin' 2WD handling that some of the consumers wants

This discussion is by the way pretty similar to the discussion that arised some 30 years ago when the first ABS systems were introduced. Today ABS is not an option to choose. You assume it to be installed by default.

Do I have a 4WD, yes of course

Comments?

/Knubblo
Old 12-05-2005, 11:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Knubblo' post='207517' date='Dec 5 2005, 03:34 PM
Today the global car industry estimate approx 12-13% of the car sales to be cars with 4WD. 15 years ago this number was less than 2%. A couple of years ago BMW did not even offer 4WD for their 5-series but times have changed along with new market demands and competition. Before the new cost/efficient solutions 4WD was considered an unnecessary option mostly because of price. With cost going down fast 4WD makes more and more sense for everybody.

2) Less cost per unit
5) etc.

15 years from now it is probably true to estimate the 4WD share to be 80% leaving only small city cars run on 2WD.

So today it is becoming more and more relevant to ask yourself why you should NOT chose 4WD for your new car. A few suggestions might apply but they are being less important as time goes by.

This discussion is by the way pretty similar to the discussion that arised some 30 years ago when the first ABS systems were introduced. Today ABS is not an option to choose. You assume it to be installed by default.

Comments?

/Knubblo
I would not choose all-wheel drive because I would not benefit from it given what I drive and where I live and drive and because it adds weight to the car. In the latter regard, I would need mega HP to choose all-wheel drive over rear-wheel drive. The more HP a car has the greater the ability of an all-wheel-drive car to surpass the performance of its "equivalent" rear-wheel-drive car because of the improved traction of the former.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

Yep...like vnod said, i would only get AWD if I NEED it. Like in Singapore and Indonesia where I grew up it makes no sense to get AWD since there is no snow. In Boston, AWD gives the driver a car that is more stable over lets say....RWD. However, it is NOT a MUST and never will be. The downsides of an AWD car is just too much to make everyone accept it. Just like manual transmission, I do not think 4WD would be extinct in years to come....hope I will not be forced to eat my own words...
Old 12-05-2005, 12:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Sport, NAV, Steptronic

Don't forget - as soon as you lift your right foot off the gas pedal ANY car becomes NO WHEEL DRIVE. It's especially true for Auto Transmissions in "D" when you cannot select the appropriate gear to constantly be on "gas". Another thing - improving your driving skills has much greater impact on the car's behavior on the road then all other factors. And the better driver you are the more you appreciate RWD handling, lesser car weight, lower center of gravity and lesser power loss in drivetrain. As for the snow driving (how many snow days a year you have?) right tires and driving skills are much more important than AWD.
Thank you.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by manek' post='207532' date='Dec 5 2005, 04:08 PM
Don't forget - as soon as you lift your right foot off the gas pedal ANY car becomes NO WHEEL DRIVE. It's especially true for Auto Transmissions in "D" when you cannot select the appropriate gear to constantly be on "gas". Another thing - improving your driving skills has much greater impact on the car's behavior on the road then all other factors. And the better driver you are the more you appreciate RWD handling and lesser car weight. As for the snow driving (how many snow days a year you have?) wright tires and driving skills are much more important than AWD.
Thank you.
Welcome. And, you made some great points. I always drive with a mix of DS and manual.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Tourer - E34 M5 Race Car

Originally Posted by Knubblo' post='207517' date='Dec 5 2005, 08:34 PM

2) Less cost per unit
5) etc.
I'd disagree with most of the above.
2) maybe in terms of manufacturing costs, but 4wd models help to build value into manufacturer ranges (i.e.higher retails)

3) I believe demand is driven by design & marketing - you are 'directed' into the car that 'fits' your lifestyle / aspirations / demographics - it is currently in vogue for the car companies to market 4wd to consumers who don't have any logical need for 2 extra driven wheels.

4) Bollo*ks. Many 4wd's have a higher centre (center) of gravity making them less stable. The benefits of 4wd over decent 2wd are so marginal in the real world that most people would never experience the potential benefit it may hold.

really ???? I doubt it. Given that we will more than likely be using 'clean' fuels and the transmission losses with 4wd over 2wd I would suggest the number of 4wd's will diminish.

Whilst the bare bones of what you're discussing "will 4wd become the norm" is ok, I think many of the points you make to demonstrate why are pretty flawed.

Give me rwd any day

just my 2p (2c).

J
Old 12-05-2005, 01:56 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4WD/AWD: That's another reason Audi lost its customer to BMW
I never want AWD/4WD vehicle since I made a mistake once: I bought a AWD Lexus RX330 (Toyota Harrier) which consumes more gas, and it's useless than good.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:58 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by my530i' post='207565' date='Dec 5 2005, 05:56 PM
4WD/AWD: That's another reason Audi lost its customer to BMW
I never want AWD/4WD vehicle since I made a mistake once: I bought a AWD Lexus RX330 (Toyota Harrier) which consumes more gas, and it's useless than good.
I mentioned earlier that I don't need all-wheel drive. That's true for the 545i and Z06, but I wasn't thinkng about our X5. I am glad to have it, and wanted it, on the X5 since we head for the high country sometimes.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:15 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Knubblo' post='207517' date='Dec 5 2005, 12:34 PM

2) Less cost per unit
5) etc.

Comments?

/Knubblo
How do you figure that 4WD is actually safer vis-a-vis 2WD?

Take for instance the 530xi v. 530i. Has anyone (BMW or otherwise) actually claimed that the xi version is safer than its 2WD brethren?
Old 12-05-2005, 02:40 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='207572

2) Less cost per unit
5) etc.

Comments?

/Knubblo
How do you figure that 4WD is actually safer vis-a-vis 2WD?

Take for instance the 530xi v. 530i. Has anyone (BMW or otherwise) actually claimed that the xi version is safer than its 2WD brethren?
[/quote]Good question on the safety issue. I don't know. The only good to me for all-wheel drive would be improved traction in the rain, snow, or ice, particularly the last two. Shouldn't the improved traction be safer for many of us under these three conditions?

Quick Reply: 4WD trends