E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

4 More Hours & important questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 03:52 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Well in a few hours I will have my new 545i, sun is shining , what a great day
to take delivery.

Had my dealer fax me over a copy of the lease agreement so I could review it before signing. What a one sided document this is! I have leased many cars in my day from various manufacturers, but have never seen some of the clauses that BMW has in their lease agreement.

For instance, Tire thread must be at least 33 centimetres upon return, anyone know how many centimeters new continental tires come with, 33 sounds real high.

Brakes cannot have less than 50% wear on pads or braking system, I guess braking systems would include rotors. All other lease agreements usually read that both tires and brakes must have measurable wear left on them.

BMW has offered me a maintenance contract for brakes and wipers for first 3 years or 60,000 KMS (38,000 miles) cost is CAD $ 799.00 . My lease is for 39 months. I expect to hit 60,000 KMS at around 26 - 28 months. I would expect that I will have to change the brakes once within the life of my lease. Car will have around 54,000 miles on it at 39 months. So here is my question.........

Should I agree to purchase the extra protection for 36 mo/ 38,000 miles and at say 34,000 - 36,000 miles I see that I have less than 50% left on my brakes, can I insist that they change brakes/rotors? I know this may sound stupid, but hear me out. I feel that what is good for the goose should be good for the gander.

If BMW insists that if I have less than 50% brake wear left at time of return of the car to them, I must have a brake job done, then shouldn't I be able to get them to change the brakes if they are less than 50% before my 38,000 mile warranty is up?

What I don't want to happen is that I take the added protection for $799.00 only
to have the brakes give out between 36,000 - 54,000 miles and I am forced to shell out big bucks again. I would be fine paying the $799.00 knowing that this would cover me for the 39 months.

So, here's the deal, can anyone tell me how long the brakes should last under normal circumstances. Am I off base in my logic that they should change the brakes once they go down below 50% if I am within extended warranty period?

Would also like to know if anyone has experienced any horror stories at time of return of leased vehicle to BMW Financial?

Last thing, agreement also states that car cannot have any dents,scratches or chips at time of return. While I could understand dents or real ugly scratches, how can one avoid chips and small scratches after driving car in a winter climate for 39 months? Again past lease agreements from other manufacturers allow for things that would be normal for a car that has been on the road for 39 months.

Thanks for any input.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i - Alpine white with auburn interior; tip, xenon, pdc, sirius, prem, cold weather, red reflectors and xpel.

I'm in the USA so things may be different. I had no issues with the turn-in of my previous vehicle. In terms of tire wear, I believe the minimum amount is 4mm. A new tire tends to have 10-12mm of depth.

In terms of brakes I have never heard of that language before. My agreement states all systems must be in working order with no default lights. It also indicates charges may result if the car is still not in a free maintenance period. In all my years of leasing, I have not heard language ever stating 50% wear. Please let us know once you get that language clarified. (BMW won't even replace brake pads until they are very close to the wear bar).

Interms of the extended agreement, I would price out the services that are likely. Unfortunately I couldn't tell you about break wear. Can't you wait to extend?
Old 02-25-2005, 05:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

Originally Posted by gabman' date='Feb 25 2005, 06:52 AM
Well in a few hours I will have my new 545i, sun is shining , what a great day
to take delivery.

Had my dealer fax me over a copy of the lease agreement so I could review it before signing. What a one sided document this is! I have leased many cars in my day from various manufacturers, but have never seen some of the clauses that BMW has in their lease agreement.

For instance, Tire thread must be at least 33 centimetres upon return, anyone know how many centimeters new continental tires come with, 33 sounds real high.

Brakes cannot have less than 50% wear on pads or braking system, I guess braking systems would include rotors. All other lease agreements usually read that both tires and brakes must have measurable wear left on them.

BMW has offered me a maintenance contract for brakes and wipers for first 3 years or 60,000 KMS (38,000 miles) cost is CAD $ 799.00 . My lease is for 39 months. I expect to hit 60,000 KMS at around 26 - 28 months. I would expect that I will have to change the brakes once within the life of my lease. Car will have around 54,000 miles on it at 39 months. So here is my question.........

Should I agree to purchase the extra protection for 36 mo/ 38,000 miles and at say 34,000 - 36,000 miles I see that I have less than 50% left on my brakes, can I insist that they change brakes/rotors? I know this may sound stupid, but hear me out.? I feel that what is good for the goose should be good for the gander.

If BMW insists that if I have less than 50% brake wear left at time of return of the car to them, I must have a brake job done, then shouldn't I be able to get them to change the brakes if they are less than 50% before my 38,000 mile warranty is up?

What I don't want to happen is that I take the added protection for $799.00 only
to have the brakes give out between 36,000 - 54,000 miles and I am forced to shell out big bucks again. I would be fine paying the $799.00 knowing that this would cover me for the 39 months.

So, here's the deal, can anyone tell me how long the brakes should last under normal circumstances. Am I off base in my logic that they should change the brakes once they go down below 50% if I am within extended warranty period?

Would also like to know if anyone has experienced any horror stories at time of return of leased vehicle to BMW Financial?

Last thing, agreement also states that car cannot have any dents,scratches or chips at time of return. While I could understand dents or real ugly scratches, how can one avoid chips and small scratches after driving car in a winter climate for 39 months?? Again past lease agreements from other manufacturers allow for things that would be normal for a car that has been on the road for 39 months.

Thanks for any input.
[snapback]94226[/snapback]
Well, I'm no expert, but 33 centimeters, is .33 meters, which is about 1'1", which is about 13 inches. No tire I have ever seen comes new with that much tread!! Maybe I'm completely wrong here, but that doesn't sound right!! That doesn't sound like a tire I would want on my E60. And, brake pads and rotors are covered under warranty, and the warranty will survive your lease...I don't see why that would be an issue. If you get small dings and chips that are "normal wear and tear", I cant see being charged for it. IMHO, if you are leasing, the warranty is incredibly comprehensive. I don't think I would spend money on a any additional warranty coverage. Wait......I didn't think to ask, but where are you? Maybe you are not in US, so the 48 month warranty doesn't apply? Now that I re-read your post, it looks like maybe you are in Canada, which explains the difference in your lease and mine. If you don't have the full maintenance warranty that we have here in the States, perhaps that 799.00 Can would be a good investment for peace of mind, if nothing else. Don't stress over it too much......I mean, it's a big day!! Let us know what happens, and don't forget the pics!!
Old 02-25-2005, 05:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Originally Posted by macct' date='Feb 25 2005, 08:56 AM
I'm in the USA so things may be different. I had no issues with the turn-in of my previous vehicle.? In terms of tire wear, I believe the minimum amount is 4mm.? A new tire tends to have 10-12mm of depth.?

In terms of brakes I have never heard of that language before.? My agreement states all systems must be in working order with no default lights.? It also indicates charges may result if the car is still not in a free maintenance period.? In all my years of leasing, I have not heard language ever stating 50% wear.? Please let us know once you get that language clarified.? (BMW won't even replace brake pads until they are very close to the wear bar).

Interms of the extended agreement, I would price out the services that are likely.? Unfortunately I couldn't tell you about break wear.? Can't you wait to extend?
[snapback]94237[/snapback]
Clause 26 of lease agreement

"Excessive Wear" means any wear or use in excess of reasonable wear or use and includes amongst other things

(d) If there is less than 50% wear remaining on any brakes or braking system pertaining to the vehicle

I hear what you are saying and agree with you however above is what lease agreement states

Gabman
Old 02-25-2005, 05:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport (M sport steering, M sport sills, M sport suspension, 18inch M style wheels) Carbon black, black nasca, dark wood, dechromed, folding mirrors, extended lights, sun protect glazing, grad tinted winscreen, servotronic steering, heated, ventilated active comfort seats, extended voice control, hi-fi speakers, hud, active cruise, split folding rear seats, rear electric blind, rear manual blinds visbility pack (xenons, adaptive headlights), media pack (6 CD, prof nav, bluetooth with telematics and assist)

Originally Posted by kmslo530i' date='Feb 25 2005, 09:04 AM
[quote name='gabman' date='Feb 25 2005, 06:52 AM']Well in a few hours I will have my new 545i, sun is

Well, I'm no expert, but 33 centimeters, is .33 meters, which is about 1'1", which is about 13 inches. No tire I have ever seen comes new with that much tread!! Maybe I'm completely wrong here, but that doesn't sound right!! That doesn't sound like a tire I would want on my E60.
[snapback]94242[/snapback]
[/quote]

I think he meant 33 mm not cm!
Old 02-25-2005, 05:24 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by New535' date='Feb 25 2005, 09:20 AM
[quote name='kmslo530i' date='Feb 25 2005, 09:04 AM'][quote name='gabman' date='Feb 25 2005, 06:52 AM']Well in a few hours I will have my new 545i, sun is

Well, I'm no expert, but 33 centimeters, is .33 meters, which is about 1'1", which is about 13 inches. No tire I have ever seen comes new with that much tread!! Maybe I'm completely wrong here, but that doesn't sound right!! That doesn't sound like a tire I would want on my E60.
[snapback]94242[/snapback]
[/quote]

Sorry meant to say .33 of a centimeter which is .12 of an inch

Gabman

I think he meant 33 mm not cm!
[snapback]94247[/snapback]
[/quote]
Old 02-25-2005, 05:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Gabman

I think that many of those clauses are there for BMW's benefit if things turn ugly. I know the dealer here quite well and have never heard of them creating a fuss on any items except routine routine wear and tear. If you have a cracked windshield, it's your cost. If you have a dent, it's your cost. Regurlar rock chips and the like, no big deal.

I do know that they are getting tighter on vehicle condition on turn in but I think, for the most part, they are very reasonable. Don't forget, (I have done this many times), if you have a few months left on your lease, and if your car is in good condition, the dealer will take it in on trade and the dealer pays out BMWFS making your concerns redundant.

Enjoy picking up your car today. Remember, this thread is useless without pictures!!