E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

37 Degree Fahrenheit Snowflake

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 07:50 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 525i Jet Black (Base + PDC)

Originally Posted by vnod' post='212976
Originally Posted by vnod' post='212862' date='Dec 18 2005, 12:08 PM
[quote name='dgjk' post='212861' date='Dec 18 2005, 02:04 PM']
The warning goes off when the outside temp falss to approx. 37.5 degrees F (3 degrees C) - that is all the manual says - and then gives a warning about black ice

It has not been above 37 since I bought my car, and I do not recall the warning everytime I start the car, but for you VNOD, I will check and keep you updated.
Thanks, and, really, you haven't been below 37 since you got your car? In my area of Phoenix, we have had quite a few mornings below 37 since then--and we are not exactly on the outskirts. Thanks again.

VNOD,

He stated he had not seen weather HIGHER than 37 degrees. I had to re-read because for some reason I could wrap my mind that people around the nation don't get such beautiful weather like here in Phoenix.
[/quote]
Thanks much, you are right. I thought that he was saying that he had not seen the warning for a while since it had not been 37 or below. But, he's saying sort of the opposite. Maybe the warning only shows up if, for example, it is above 37 in your garage and is, or drops, below 37 when, or shortly after, you drive out. Would that make sense for the snowflake system? No!!! Wouldn't the purpose of the snowflake system be to let you know any time icing may be a problem?

OK, I am confused again--in addition to being confused about not being able to sense AS and not knowing whether my headlight switch is in or out. Oh well. I always say the forums are great for clarifying things. But, sometimes , and they make me .
[/quote]

That's right. The warning only appears when the temp drops-to or climbs-to 37.5F(3C). Therefore, if the garage is below 37.5F and it never climbs-to 37.5...no warning will appear.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i, Titanium Silver, Gray Leather, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Sound PKG, Cold PKG, STEP Tranny, Power sun shades, fold rear seats, rear seat heating, PDC, Nav

I dont think I will ever see the snow-flake...unless I go to Tahoe or Mammoth this season....

Old 12-19-2005, 09:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

Vnod:

The snowflake symbol (with the audible warning) only appears when the temp is 37.5F. Last month, when the temps were hovering around 37F I used to get that warning a few hundred yards after I got out of my garage. It has also come on when I am stationary in the garage, and driving on the highway - so it's not just when I start the car.

Bottom line, the snowflake symbol and "ding" will appear whenever the sensor detects a 37.5F. It's at this temp (or in the ballpark) that black ice forms.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-19-2005, 10:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by vffun' post='213191
Originally Posted by Chorethorious' post='212894' date='Dec 18 2005, 04:33 PM
[quote name='vnod' post='212862' date='Dec 18 2005, 12:08 PM']
[quote name='dgjk' post='212861' date='Dec 18 2005, 02:04 PM']
The warning goes off when the outside temp falss to approx. 37.5 degrees F (3 degrees C) - that is all the manual says - and then gives a warning about black ice

It has not been above 37 since I bought my car, and I do not recall the warning everytime I start the car, but for you VNOD, I will check and keep you updated.
Thanks, and, really, you haven't been below 37 since you got your car? In my area of Phoenix, we have had quite a few mornings below 37 since then--and we are not exactly on the outskirts. Thanks again.

VNOD,

He stated he had not seen weather HIGHER than 37 degrees. I had to re-read because for some reason I could wrap my mind that people around the nation don't get such beautiful weather like here in Phoenix.
[/quote]
Thanks much, you are right. I thought that he was saying that he had not seen the warning for a while since it had not been 37 or below. But, he's saying sort of the opposite. Maybe the warning only shows up if, for example, it is above 37 in your garage and is, or drops, below 37 when, or shortly after, you drive out. Would that make sense for the snowflake system? No!!! Wouldn't the purpose of the snowflake system be to let you know any time icing may be a problem?

OK, I am confused again--in addition to being confused about not being able to sense AS and not knowing whether my headlight switch is in or out. Oh well. I always say the forums are great for clarifying things. But, sometimes , and they make me .
[/quote]

That's right. The warning only appears when the temp drops-to or climbs-to 37.5F(3C). Therefore, if the garage is below 37.5F and it never climbs-to 37.5...no warning will appear.
[/quote]
Thanks vffun.

Originally Posted by JStraw' post='213242' date='Dec 19 2005, 01:29 PM
Vnod:

The snowflake symbol (with the audible warning) only appears when the temp is 37.5F. Last month, when the temps were hovering around 37F I used to get that warning a few hundred yards after I got out of my garage. It has also come on when I am stationary in the garage, and driving on the highway - so it's not just when I start the car.

Bottom line, the snowflake symbol and "ding" will appear whenever the sensor detects a 37.5F. It's at this temp (or in the ballpark) that black ice forms.

Hope this helps!
Thanks to you too JS. But, what's with black ice and 37.5 (or 37 degrees)? Does black ice diappear below 37.5 degrees? Should I be concerned only when it is 37.5 degrees? What if it is below 37.5 in my garage when I drive out into below 37.5 degree weather? Don't I deserve a black-ice warning too? And, how about warning me about the possibility of regular old 32-degree white ice? Isn't it dangerous too? OK, I'm still confused despite everyone's best efforts--on all of my confusion topics.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Something else you'll probably never see: Continuous Parking Distance warning--caused by a glaze of ice on your bumper. Got mine last week after the snow/rain/freezing rain/sleet strorm. Thawed out and everything returned to normal.

Ray Hull
Old 12-19-2005, 10:27 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vnod' post='213260' date='Dec 19 2005, 01:19 PM
Thanks to you too JS. But, what's with black ice and 37.5 (or 37 degrees)? Does black ice diappear below 37.5 degrees? Should I be concerned only when it is 37.5 degrees? What if it is below 37.5 in my garage when I drive out into below 37.5 degree weather? Don't I deserve a black-ice warning too? And, how about warning me about the possibility of regular old 32-degree white ice? Isn't it dangerous too? OK, I'm still confused despite everyone's best efforts--on all of my confusion topics.
Vnod:

Here's some more info on black ice. Black ice forms only at particular temps and conditions. Below that, it's just regular ice (and not transparent like black ice). Since black ice is difficult to spot (as opposed to icy conditions, snow, etc), BMW probably decided it warrants a warning to the driver.

Black ice is a thin coating of ice on a surface, often a roadway. While not truly black, it is transparent, allowing the usually-black asphalt/Macadam roadway to be seen through it, hence the term.

It is usually deposited by freezing rain, mist, or fog. Because it contains relatively little entrained air in the form of bubbles, black ice is transparent and thus very difficult to see (as compared to snow, frozen slush, rime ice, or other typical roadway forms of ice). In addition, it often has a matte appearance rather than the expected gloss; and often is interleaved with wet pavement, which is identical in appearance. For this reason it is especially hazardous when driving or walking.

Black ice may form even when the ambient temperature is several degrees above the NTP freezing point of water. This occurs typically, and treacherously, when terrain contours and/or prevailing wind cause a local steep differential of atmospheric pressure and/or temperature or when the atmosphere has warmed up after a prolonged cold spell that leaves the temperature of the ground (and roadway!) well below the freezing point.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='213266' date='Dec 19 2005, 02:26 PM
Something else you'll probably never see: Continuous Parking Distance warning--caused by a glaze of ice on your bumper. Got mine last week after the snow/rain/freezing rain/sleet strorm. Thawed out and everything returned to normal.

Ray Hull
That's a good one Ray. I hope I don't see it.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:31 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='213266' date='Dec 19 2005, 01:26 PM

Ray Hull

I got the same thing a couple weeks ago. I just shut off the PDC by hitting the button.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

Figured out why you sometimes see a snowflake and other times not.

That is one of the benefits of cold weather.

Here is what I noticed. It has to do with the seatbelt warning. The snowfalke alwasy appears, but if you put your seatbelt on prior to starting the car - and then start the car (and the outside temp is less than 37.5 degrees) - the snoeflake appears as soon as the car starts and stays on for a while

If however you start the car and do not have you seatbelt buckled, then the buckle up warning shows up first and the snowflake appears second and only for a brief time.

At least this is why I think sometimes I see it and sometimes I don't. It is always there, just for a different amount of time.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:02 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dgjk' post='213308' date='Dec 19 2005, 03:51 PM
Figured out why you sometimes see a snowflake and other times not.

That is one of the benefits of cold weather.

Here is what I noticed. It has to do with the seatbelt warning. The snowfalke alwasy appears, but if you put your seatbelt on prior to starting the car - and then start the car (and the outside temp is less than 37.5 degrees) - the snoeflake appears as soon as the car starts and stays on for a while

If however you start the car and do not have you seatbelt buckled, then the buckle up warning shows up first and the snowflake appears second and only for a brief time.

At least this is why I think sometimes I see it and sometimes I don't. It is always there, just for a different amount of time.
Thanks dgjk. But, I have only seen my strange snowflake results after putting my seatbelt on, leaving the garage (above both 37 and 37.5 degrees), and exiting into less than 37 degree weather.

Quick Reply: 37 Degree Fahrenheit Snowflake