E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

36000 miles with the shipping chalks on

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 06:23 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530i Silver Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Premium Package, Sport Package (Bridgestone RFTs), Logic 7 Sound System, Nav System, Split Folding Rear Seats, Power Rear Sunshade, Park Distance Control.

I'm wondering how they could forget them in the first place. Shouldn't the dealer have to follow a checklist of prep and inspection items for a newly arrived car?

I can imagine not being able to tell the difference between normal Sports tuning and shipping chocks, especially on smooth LA streets. The thought has me paranoid.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 535d MSport ; Retired at 110,000 miles October 2010: 2010 535d MSport; Space Grey/Black Dakota, Adaptive Xenons, High Beam assistant, Prof. Nav, Voice Control,SAT, Adaptive Drive, Powered boot, Comfort Access, Climate Comfort W/Screen, Surround View, Side/Rear Sunblinds, Comfort Seats, HUD, Active Cruise, TV, Prof Loudspeaker, Night Vision, Lane Change warning, 4-Zone A/C, split rear seats, Speed Limit Display

Originally Posted by AGreig' post='305031' date='Jun 29 2006, 12:38 PM
My E60 has been in and out of the garage constantly since new with airbags, pre-tensioners, seat belt restraints failing and turbo malfunction so now ive uncovered they had left the suspension chocks on ive handed the car back to the lease company (its a company car). Im so depressed with the whole ordeal I don't want the car back.

Im now going to go after the dealer that PDI'd and the dealer that has been servicing the vehicle. The garage who carried out the servicing had the car in specifically for a full suspension check but decided to only check the front when they noticed the tracking was out. Said dealer is telling me that they wouldn't have noticed the chocks in place even when doing the brakes unless specifically looking for them. I was wondering if there are any BMW mechanics out their who can confirm this to be true or are they talking crap?
If its a lease car then that means the leassing company own the car, and so should fight your corner - which I would hope puts you in a much stronger position.

With all of the other problems, handing back the car seems the only thing to do....please keep the thread updated on what happens next...
Old 06-29-2006, 02:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by AGreig' post='305031' date='Jun 29 2006, 02:38 PM
My E60 has been in and out of the garage constantly since new with airbags, pre-tensioners, seat belt restraints failing and turbo malfunction so now ive uncovered they had left the suspension chocks on ive handed the car back to the lease company (its a company car). Im so depressed with the whole ordeal I don't want the car back.

Im now going to go after the dealer that PDI'd and the dealer that has been servicing the vehicle. The garage who carried out the servicing had the car in specifically for a full suspension check but decided to only check the front when they noticed the tracking was out. Said dealer is telling me that they wouldn't have noticed the chocks in place even when doing the brakes unless specifically looking for them. I was wondering if there are any BMW mechanics out their who can confirm this to be true or are they talking crap?
Either you or your dealer is full of bull (or both).

Are you a Toyota or M-B dealer or something?
Old 06-30-2006, 09:50 AM
Members

My Ride: (UK) E60 525d Sport Carbon Black, 6CD changer, adaptive xenons, Comms Pack, Debadged, Nav

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='305257' date='Jun 29 2006, 11:40 PM
Either you or your dealer is full of bull (or both).

Are you a Toyota or M-B dealer or something?
Im confused, are you suggesting I haven't spent the last 18months living with an E60 with the shipping chocks in place? That im some sort of MB fanatic trying to turn you all to the darkside?

For the more constructive forum posters who are wondering what 36k with locked suspension does to an E60 I should have a copy of a full engineers report that was completed on the car today. If anyone is interested I would be happy to post it or if its a bit on the long side email it direct.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:21 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 535d MSport ; Retired at 110,000 miles October 2010: 2010 535d MSport; Space Grey/Black Dakota, Adaptive Xenons, High Beam assistant, Prof. Nav, Voice Control,SAT, Adaptive Drive, Powered boot, Comfort Access, Climate Comfort W/Screen, Surround View, Side/Rear Sunblinds, Comfort Seats, HUD, Active Cruise, TV, Prof Loudspeaker, Night Vision, Lane Change warning, 4-Zone A/C, split rear seats, Speed Limit Display

I'd certainly be interested...if its too long to post then PM me and I'll let you have my EMail...

By the way, have the chocks now been removed ( surely the dealer has now taken them off !! )

If so, how improved is the ride??
Old 07-01-2006, 07:47 AM
Members

My Ride: (UK) E60 525d Sport Carbon Black, 6CD changer, adaptive xenons, Comms Pack, Debadged, Nav

Originally Posted by cerbera' post='305769' date='Jul 1 2006, 12:21 PM
I'd certainly be interested...if its too long to post then PM me and I'll let you have my EMail...

By the way, have the chocks now been removed ( surely the dealer has now taken them off !! )

If so, how improved is the ride??
I haven't driven the car since they were removed as I had asked for a full inspection to be carried out to make sure everything was ok before it went back on the road. Having been given a loan 525d msport and having driven a 530d msport you really notice the difference. In retrospect I can't believe I lived with it for so long before insisting they checked the chocks had been removed (only because someone suggested in this forum I should have it checked!). They had left them on the back only, if I had rear seat passengers it was impossible for the passengers to remain seated even on smooth surfaces. If you hit even small stones on a bend the rear would kick out. Every journey resulted in lower back pain as every jolt or bump shot straight up your back. Having driven a car with the chocks in you really notice there is something up with your suspension. Getting your dealer to believe you is a totally separate problem.... Even after many services and requests to check the suspension.