E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

36000 miles with the shipping chalks on

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 08:26 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: (UK) E60 525d Sport Carbon Black, 6CD changer, adaptive xenons, Comms Pack, Debadged, Nav

Last week I posted asking for peoples view on the suspension of the E60 msport as I felt the ride quality on my was too harsh and many had mentioned the possibilty of the shipping blocks having been left on. BMW uk initially responded that this wasn't possible but today I have had conformation that the shipping blocks were in fact left on the car. Many of the responses had suggested suspension damage after driving the car for a short time therefore I was wondering if anyone would like to hazard a guess at the condition of my suspension after 36,000miles. Bmw have returned my car telling me it has suffered no damage.

Thanks in advance
Old 06-27-2006, 08:48 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 525i SE Touring Automatic - Titanium Grey II, Auburn-Dakota Leather, 17" Light Alloy Wheels Star-Spoke Styling 138, Anthracite Headlining, Maple Wood, Electric Front Seats, Front Seat Heating, Automatic Air Conditioning Advanced, Navigation System Professional, Bluetooth phone prep, Professional radio, Hi-Fi Loudspeaker system, Park Distance Control, Rear Side Airbags, Side Blinds

AGreig

that's pretty shocking - how did you find out these things we still mounted ?

Old 06-27-2006, 09:03 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 06-27-2006, 09:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545, nav, sport, PP, cold weather

make them put it in writing. put them on notice they will be responsible for any libility if an accident is caused by damaged parts.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:47 AM
Members

My Ride: Titanium Silver 2004 525i, style 116 alloys,

Originally Posted by The Hollies' post='303936' date='Jun 27 2006, 12:48 PM
AGreig

Yes, please let us know what to look for / where to look
Old 06-27-2006, 09:53 AM
Members

My Ride: (UK) E60 525d Sport Carbon Black, 6CD changer, adaptive xenons, Comms Pack, Debadged, Nav

Originally Posted by The Hollies' post='303936' date='Jun 27 2006, 05:48 PM
AGreig

For 18months I had been complaining to the dealer on and off. Eventually I spoke to BMW UK who were looking at tyre types and tyre pressure as a possible cause. They eventually lent me a newer car that confirmed it had to be a specific issue with my car. A few people on the forum had mentioned shipping chalks therefore I went back to BMW who responded in writing that this would never happen. In a last ditch attempt at getting to the bottom of this I asked my dealer to check who confirmed today that the rear drivers side still had the shipping chalk on. The dealer is telling me that the chalk wouldn't result in damage to the suspension although Im inclined to believe my fellow posters who were able to suggest the cause with greater accuracy than BMW
Old 06-27-2006, 10:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i Silver Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Premium Package, Sport Package (Bridgestone RFTs), Logic 7 Sound System, Nav System, Split Folding Rear Seats, Power Rear Sunshade, Park Distance Control.

AGreig,

As Markymark asks above, have you got any idea where we might look to see if they removed them in our cars? I'm not a mechanic but maybe it's easy to do a visual check and if you know how, any info you can give is appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by AGreig' post='303929' date='Jun 27 2006, 07:26 PM
...but today I have had conformation that the shipping blocks were in fact left on the car.
...Bmw have returned my car telling me it has suffered no damage.
Oh my God

Have them install a new set of springs and shocks + tyres.

Or atleast have them to refound some $, € or ? and free services
for 5 years!!!

Of course you car has suffered!!
It has been driven for 36K miles almost without springs.

That infects everything (rattles, bearings, bolts, frame...)
even not to mention the safty aspect.

A E60 without almost no springs could have been the cause for a live
treatening accident.

Write to the factory - such incompetence and nonchalance should
NOT GO without punishment!

If they are not willing to satisfy you with whatever you want - GET A LAWYER!

Please fill in you whereabouts and sign!
Old 06-27-2006, 10:41 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Geno' post='303987' date='Jun 27 2006, 07:07 PM
AGreig,

As Markymark asks above, have you got any idea where we might look to see if they removed them in our cars? I'm not a mechanic but maybe it's easy to do a visual check and if you know how, any info you can give is appreciated.

Thanks.
Hi,

There is a post from another poor soul who had the shipping blocks left on his car too. He had provided pictures of the offending parts in situ.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=24592
Old 06-27-2006, 11:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d M-sport, Visibility pack, Cream Beige Leather, Auto, M rear spoiler, BT Car kit, Folding Mirrors, USB, Business NAV, DAB, High Beam Assist, CD Changer, 172 Alloys, Comfort Seats.

Originally Posted by AGreig' post='303929' date='Jun 27 2006, 05:26 PM
Last week I posted asking for peoples view on the suspension of the E60 msport as I felt the ride quality on my was too harsh and many had mentioned the possibilty of the shipping blocks having been left on. BMW uk initially responded that this wasn't possible but today I have had conformation that the shipping blocks were in fact left on the car. Many of the responses had suggested suspension damage after driving the car for a short time therefore I was wondering if anyone would like to hazard a guess at the condition of my suspension after 36,000miles. Bmw have returned my car telling me it has suffered no damage.

Thanks in advance
personally I would try and reject the car!! At least kick up enough of a stink to let BMW UK know you are serious. You should be given some form of compensation.

I know the head of the BMW UK Warranty dept and the head of the BMW Bodyshop Program, both of whom admitted that this is a huge mistake and more than likley a valid case for negligence.

Bear in mind that BMW will simply penalise the dealer who carried out the PDI. (who was it by the way?)

Good Luck,

Paul

Quick Reply: 36000 miles with the shipping chalks on