E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2nd time Vehicle starts only after several attempts:-(

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 07:44 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

This is the second time this happens to me. I have a 2008 535XI no comfort access.

I was visiting my friend for fathers day and parked the car. About 3 hours later I decided to leave and went into my car and tried to start it. It turned over but it did not start. I tried it again several times. I then waited a couple of minutes and tried it again and it still would not start. I closed everything locked it and waited 5 minutes. I opened it again and after 2 or 3 attempts it started.

This happened to me last week while I was in Capemay. At one point I thought I had to call roadside for help. Has this happened to anyone else and it so what was the final outcome and the reason BMW gave for this to happen? I hate to call the service department again for another problem. I had a 2002 525I and that one did not give me so many problems.

Thanks Guys, Rick....
Old 06-18-2007, 05:02 AM
Members

Hi your not too far away from where i am at. I will tell you my 2005 545i did this fron day 1, i got stranded 5 times all long distances during the summer and on weekends. Car would fire and shut down, the smeelof fuel used to fill the cabin of the car. Best part was it kept doing it even when the key was removed, crazy car

No matter what it never got fixed and BMW took the car back after 70+days in service in like 8 months

I was given several loaner cars the only loaner car that didnt do this while i was driving it was a 525, the 530 sport did it a few times. it is very bothersome because where is the reliability on these cars.

I am supposed to take a 550 sport this week we will see after i test drive it, i was supposed to drive it Saturday but it had tons of faults when we started it up.

Good luck on this there seems to be an issue with the ignition and ECU not sure how they will try and fix my cars had every update known to man.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:15 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by slickrick' post='436818' date='Jun 18 2007, 04:44 AM
This is the second time this happens to me. I have a 2008...
There is a recall on LCI fuel injectors but I don't know if it applies to all models.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=41120

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=40601

ABC
Old 06-18-2007, 05:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Originally Posted by nisonger212' post='436919' date='Jun 18 2007, 09:02 AM
Hi your not too far away from where i am at. I will tell you my 2005 545i did this fron day 1, i got stranded 5 times all long distances during the summer and on weekends. Car would fire and shut down, the smeelof fuel used to fill the cabin of the car. Best part was it kept doing it even when the key was removed, crazy car

No matter what it never got fixed and BMW took the car back after 70+days in service in like 8 months

I was given several loaner cars the only loaner car that didnt do this while i was driving it was a 525, the 530 sport did it a few times. it is very bothersome because where is the reliability on these cars.

I am supposed to take a 550 sport this week we will see after i test drive it, i was supposed to drive it Saturday but it had tons of faults when we started it up.

Good luck on this there seems to be an issue with the ignition and ECU not sure how they will try and fix my cars had every update known to man.
It appears that my case is a little different than yours. I have no smell in the car and it does not turn off. The problem is when I try to start the car for some reason the engine turns over but does not start. It's happened twice since I took deilvery. After several attemtps and leaving it alone for several minutes it starts. I better call the dealer before it becomes a major problem. I just wanted to see if there was anyone else with a smilar problem that could shed some light on it. Either way thanks for the reply.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:51 AM
Members

fogot to mention my old 545 never actually started the fuel of course was because the fuel pump just kepts pumpin over and over again with frequent ignition attempts

same thing i left the car for 4 hours one day came back it started up, i had my injectors changed, software you name it but it still occured every now and then this was the overall problem that BMW took into consideration to buy the car back
Old 06-18-2007, 06:11 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nisonger212' post='436940' date='Jun 18 2007, 09:51 AM
fogot to mention my old 545 never actually started the fuel of course was because the fuel pump just kepts pumpin over and over again with frequent ignition attempts

same thing i left the car for 4 hours one day came back it started up, i had my injectors changed, software you name it but it still occured every now and then this was the overall problem that BMW took into consideration to buy the car back
Good for you. What did you get now? By the way I called my service rep and he is going to ask the shop foreman if this has been an issue and if so he will put me in for service. I asked him to ask the shop manager in attemp to get an answer. Maybe I need to change the gas company I use. We'll see, stay tuned.

Again, Thanks.....
Old 06-18-2007, 06:22 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by slickrick' post='436945' date='Jun 18 2007, 03:11 PM
...he is going to ask the shop foreman if this has been an issue...
So that's an injector problem then?

ABC