E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

26 days, 2200 km's and 2 washes later,

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 08:59 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by JBOO' date='Jan 17 2005, 06:40 AM
Let's see, where to begin??

After waiting 4 months for the car to arrive and then another 4 weeks to sort out the registration, I finally took delivery of my 535d on Dec 22, 2004. It was raining of course, so the sparkle soon faded as I exited the dealership.?

The following three weeks were a challenge as tried desperately to follow BMW's break-in guidance.? I must admit I pushed it a few times over the recommended speeds/RPM's.? However, I did control myself to a certain extent and never allowed full-throttle or kickdown.? I have now gotten to the point (km's) where I can finally let it breathe a little more, so the frustration of holding back is much less

So now, for the good and the bad.?

+ The engine is remarkable.? The acceleration is so smooth, the torque is
jet-like and the refinement is amazing.? It's unbelieveable that this is a diesel.?

- Can't explain why, but I do not get the thrill that I wish for when accelerating.? The car gains speed very quickly, but it's so smooth, that I almost feel like it could do more.? Maybe it's the automatic, or the engine or maybe it's just the car??

+ The exterior is beautiful.? I remember thinking BMW had screwed up when I first saw the E60, but I've done a complete 180 on that and now I'm in love?

- Only thing I would do different is add the M-package
- Wish there was an automatic trunk close or an easier way to close
?
+ The interior is beautiful. Not sure why people complain?? I'm not a big fan of some of the wood combination's, but overall, I think the interior is wonderful.

+ I-drive is great.? Again, not sure why there is so many complaints?

- Could live without the rain sensors.? They never seem to work for me properly.
- Same goes for the Hi-fi option, although, I've never heard the standard radio.
- Wish I would have gotten Pro Nav or at least the CD changer.? Swapping out the Nav DVD and CD's is for the birds.

Other than getting a strong burning smell a few times and an intermittent right rear brake light failure, no real problems to report.?

The car is great.? Unfortunately, it's not for me at this moment in my life.? I was looking for something with a little more thrill, something that would provide me more of a smile after each drive.? I feared this after slightly dis-appointing test drives in the 530i and 530d, but I was hoping the 535d would have that little extra to make a difference.? Don't get me wrong, the car is superb and performs much more than my test drives offered, but not enough to make me happy.? I always knew I would sell the car anyways, but I did not expect to be willing to let it go so soon.? I think the release of the E90 also has something to do with it.? It appears to offer a lot of the cool E60 features and styling that I love, in a slightly smaller, more sportier package.? This is just what I was looking for in the first place.

I'm sure I will enjoy my next few months driving the 535d and I will continue to be a fan even after it's gone.? Who knows, maybe after a few years, I'll be ready to get another one.?

Until then, if you know someone who wants a 535d at a good price, send them my way..........
[snapback]80004[/snapback]
Have you sold the car yet?
Old 03-16-2005, 09:01 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, not yet. Haven't even started advertising.

Just enjoying a little while longer ... trying to get my money's worth