E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

26 days, 2200 km's and 2 washes later,

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 02:40 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's see, where to begin?

After waiting 4 months for the car to arrive and then another 4 weeks to sort out the registration, I finally took delivery of my 535d on Dec 22, 2004. It was raining of course, so the sparkle soon faded as I exited the dealership.

The following three weeks were a challenge as tried desperately to follow BMW's break-in guidance. I must admit I pushed it a few times over the recommended speeds/RPM's. However, I did control myself to a certain extent and never allowed full-throttle or kickdown. I have now gotten to the point (km's) where I can finally let it breathe a little more, so the frustration of holding back is much less

So now, for the good and the bad.

+ The engine is remarkable. The acceleration is so smooth, the torque is
jet-like and the refinement is amazing. It's unbelieveable that this is a diesel.

- Can't explain why, but I do not get the thrill that I wish for when accelerating. The car gains speed very quickly, but it's so smooth, that I almost feel like it could do more. Maybe it's the automatic, or the engine or maybe it's just the car?

+ The exterior is beautiful. I remember thinking BMW had screwed up when I first saw the E60, but I've done a complete 180 on that and now I'm in love

- Only thing I would do different is add the M-package
- Wish there was an automatic trunk close or an easier way to close

+ The interior is beautiful. Not sure why people complain? I'm not a big fan of some of the wood combination's, but overall, I think the interior is wonderful.

+ I-drive is great. Again, not sure why there is so many complaints?

- Could live without the rain sensors. They never seem to work for me properly.
- Same goes for the Hi-fi option, although, I've never heard the standard radio.
- Wish I would have gotten Pro Nav or at least the CD changer. Swapping out the Nav DVD and CD's is for the birds.

Other than getting a strong burning smell a few times and an intermittent right rear brake light failure, no real problems to report.

The car is great. Unfortunately, it's not for me at this moment in my life. I was looking for something with a little more thrill, something that would provide me more of a smile after each drive. I feared this after slightly dis-appointing test drives in the 530i and 530d, but I was hoping the 535d would have that little extra to make a difference. Don't get me wrong, the car is superb and performs much more than my test drives offered, but not enough to make me happy. I always knew I would sell the car anyways, but I did not expect to be willing to let it go so soon. I think the release of the E90 also has something to do with it. It appears to offer a lot of the cool E60 features and styling that I love, in a slightly smaller, more sportier package. This is just what I was looking for in the first place.

I'm sure I will enjoy my next few months driving the 535d and I will continue to be a fan even after it's gone. Who knows, maybe after a few years, I'll be ready to get another one.

Until then, if you know someone who wants a 535d at a good price, send them my way..........
Attached Thumbnails 26 days, 2200 km's and 2 washes later,-dcp_8804.jpg  
Old 01-17-2005, 02:50 AM
Senior Members

are you serious ? your car is less than a month and you want to get rid of it ? i don't really see anything else on the street, in this price range, will make you happier .
Old 01-17-2005, 03:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 525i Sport. Mystic Blue. Logic 7, 6 CD Changer, Floormats. Just call me the last of the big spenders!!

Two words for you.

RS Focus.

Ferocious power delivery!!

(But do you want to be seen as a boy racer as I was?)
Old 01-17-2005, 03:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Originally Posted by JBOO' date='Jan 17 2005, 12:40 PM
Let's see, where to begin??

Until then, if you know someone who wants a 535d at a good price, send them my way..........
[snapback]80004[/snapback]
If u can swap the steering wheel over to the RHS and smuggle it in to Ireland I'll take it !!!!

There are rumours that the E90 may get that engine becomming a 335d. Not sure how long that will take to hit the market. I reckon THAT would be just about be the ideal Q-car. If u let the 535d go, what will you replace it with ?

BTW, whats the list price of the 535d in Holland?
Old 01-17-2005, 03:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

More money than sense?

I don't understand why you're selling already. Unless someone will offer you over the odds for such a new beast.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:27 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JBOO' date='Jan 17 2005, 11:40 AM
Let's see, where to begin??

After waiting 4 months for the car to arrive and then another 4 weeks to sort out the registration, I finally took delivery of my 535d on Dec 22, 2004. It was raining of course, so the sparkle soon faded as I exited the dealership.?

[snapback]80004[/snapback]

So, let me get this right..

You're selling the car because it rained the day you collected it
Old 01-17-2005, 03:39 AM
Senior Members

JBOO,

I understand where you are coming from but you are sure to take a big hit on your car. If you can afford to suffer the depreciation then trade out of it to something that suits you better but I would advise that you seriously consider what to buy next as you might find that the E90 is not to your liking either. BMW is refining the comfort and quality of it's new models alongside improvements in the performance. Because the new models give effortless, relaxed performance you won't get that "thrill" of acceleration because it is muted due to the quietness of the engine and lack of wind noise.

It sounds to me as if you should go for a manual gearbox to feel more involved in the drive and go for a more sporting set up than the one you picked for your 535d i.e. sports suspension or M sport version.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

If it had more options and beige leather I would have traded it for my 530i...
Old 01-17-2005, 05:45 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Jan 17 2005, 07:51 AM
If it had more options and beige leather I would have traded it for my 530i...?
[snapback]80025[/snapback]
To get get the power of the bigger engine, I had to settle for the Executive edition.

Your right ISUK, a manual transmission would have probably helped. Possibly getting a 545 would have as well.

Please don't get me wrong everyone. The car is great and I'm not disappointed. I just would prefer to have a little less luxury and a little more sport. unfortunately, I can't spend much more, so the M5 is not an option.

I doubt I will sell immeditately, unless however, I find someone who's interested, but doesn't expect me to give it away.

I definitely won't be cross-shopping competitors in this price-range alohac. If the E60 doesn't suit my needs, nothing else will. The previous 3 was my ideal choice, but I didnt want to buy a car in it's last year of production. I'll have to check the E90 first to make sure they didn't numb out the performance thrill as mentioned by ISUK.

Luckily for me, I'm not to concerned about image or brand. I prefer BMW, but I could easily be happy in something else as long as it puts a smile on my face. Whatever I choose, I will eventually come back to BMW, guaranteed.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

The obvious solution: 545i manual sport package.

Some more money, but not M5 money.

Quick Reply: 26 days, 2200 km's and 2 washes later,