E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

26 days, 2200 km's and 2 washes later,

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 02:07 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D

Originally Posted by ipp' date='Feb 12 2005, 05:02 AM
[quote name='BangleBox_530d' date='Feb 12 2005, 11:16 AM']I'd still prefer a M3 than a 130i

The 1 series looks wrong. As wrong as the Z3M Coupe rear was. Like an Alfa 147 that's been bent.
[snapback]89349[/snapback]
And I think the Z3M Coupe is one of the coolest looking cars ever buildt... Mayby thats why I love the 1er...
[snapback]89363[/snapback]
[/quote]

I like 1-series much better than new 3-series.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

That's what choice is all about. If we all liked the very same car, the world would be a boring place.

What I need is to love a cheap car, but a new M5 or Porsche 997 seems to get in the way of that.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:40 AM
Senior Members

I agree. It's a complete piece of junk. I'll give you 25 American for it; you pay shipping.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5, Silverstone with black extended leather, brushed aluminium trim, Nav Pro, Logic 7, PDC, 35 % tint.

I'll give you $ 26.50.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by igor' date='Feb 12 2005, 12:07 PM
I like 1-series ?
[snapback]89364[/snapback]
Me too.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:33 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JBOO' date='Jan 17 2005, 05:40 AM
Let's see, where to begin??

After waiting 4 months for the car to arrive and then another 4 weeks to sort out the registration, I finally took delivery of my 535d on Dec 22, 2004. It was raining of course, so the sparkle soon faded as I exited the dealership.??

The following three weeks were a challenge as tried desperately to follow BMW's break-in guidance.? I must admit I pushed it a few times over the recommended speeds/RPM's.? However, I did control myself to a certain extent and never allowed full-throttle or kickdown.? I have now gotten to the point (km's) where I can finally let it breathe a little more, so the frustration of holding back is much less

So now, for the good and the bad.?

+ The engine is remarkable.? The acceleration is so smooth, the torque is
jet-like and the refinement is amazing.? It's unbelieveable that this is a diesel.?

- Can't explain why, but I do not get the thrill that I wish for when accelerating.? The car gains speed very quickly, but it's so smooth, that I almost feel like it could do more.? Maybe it's the automatic, or the engine or maybe it's just the car??

+ The exterior is beautiful.? I remember thinking BMW had screwed up when I first saw the E60, but I've done a complete 180 on that and now I'm in love?

- Only thing I would do different is add the M-package
- Wish there was an automatic trunk close or an easier way to close
?
+ The interior is beautiful. Not sure why people complain?? I'm not a big fan of some of the wood combination's, but overall, I think the interior is wonderful.

+ I-drive is great.? Again, not sure why there is so many complaints?

- Could live without the rain sensors.? They never seem to work for me properly.
- Same goes for the Hi-fi option, although, I've never heard the standard radio.
- Wish I would have gotten Pro Nav or at least the CD changer.? Swapping out the Nav DVD and CD's is for the birds.

Other than getting a strong burning smell a few times and an intermittent right rear brake light failure, no real problems to report.?

The car is great.? Unfortunately, it's not for me at this moment in my life.? I was looking for something with a little more thrill, something that would provide me more of a smile after each drive.? I feared this after slightly dis-appointing test drives in the 530i and 530d, but I was hoping the 535d would have that little extra to make a difference.? Don't get me wrong, the car is superb and performs much more than my test drives offered, but not enough to make me happy.? I always knew I would sell the car anyways, but I did not expect to be willing to let it go so soon.? I think the release of the E90 also has something to do with it.? It appears to offer a lot of the cool E60 features and styling that I love, in a slightly smaller, more sportier package.? This is just what I was looking for in the first place.

I'm sure I will enjoy my next few months driving the 535d and I will continue to be a fan even after it's gone.? Who knows, maybe after a few years, I'll be ready to get another one.?

Until then, if you know someone who wants a 535d at a good price, send them my way..........
[snapback]80004[/snapback]
Update. I've put another 2000 kms on the car since this post and I must say, I've come to appreciate the car much more. The handling is phenomenal, even without the sports package. The car just wants to be thrown into the curves. I feel as confident, if not more, than I did in my Cooper S and I would have never imagined that.

I also learned to better my throttle control. This engine seems to be giving the majority of power at 2/3 to 3/4 peda so there is little need for full throttle. Before I would mash the pedal and wouldn't really get any noticeable difference in acceleration, so I was somewhat disappointed. What I didnt notice was how fast the car was accelerating at 2/3 or 3/4 throttle, which I think is at least 90% of it's max power.

The car is so smooth, it's decieving. The slightest touch of the throttle can acclelerate it very quickly.

I still plan on selling, maybe not right away, but within a year. Not because I'm disappointed in the car, but for my purposes, I could be just as happy in a new 3 or even the 130i.

Of course, things always could change....
Old 03-15-2005, 06:59 AM
Guest_GarryF_*

The option that always brings a big smile to my face even after a year is Dynamic Drive, it's expensive in the UK but the car goes round corners shockingly fast on 18" rims.

The e60 auto box is one of the best I've ever used, it's manual mode is actually enjoyable to use and allows you to use the diesel to it's full potential. Are you actually using the manual mode because if your not your missing half the fun with this car.

BTW I had 120i loaner few months ago and was very impressed with how the ride and feel came close to the 5. I could see a high performance 1 series being a blast.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport (M sport steering, M sport sills, M sport suspension, 18inch M style wheels) Carbon black, black nasca, dark wood, dechromed, folding mirrors, extended lights, sun protect glazing, grad tinted winscreen, servotronic steering, heated, ventilated active comfort seats, extended voice control, hi-fi speakers, hud, active cruise, split folding rear seats, rear electric blind, rear manual blinds visbility pack (xenons, adaptive headlights), media pack (6 CD, prof nav, bluetooth with telematics and assist)

Originally Posted by Guest_GarryF_*' date='Mar 15 2005, 10:59 AM
BTW I had 120i loaner few months ago and was very impressed with how the ride and feel came close to the 5. I could see a high performance 1 series being a blast.
[snapback]101854[/snapback]
Same here - I was really impressed with the ride, although it could have done with a little more poke!
Old 03-15-2005, 08:11 PM
Senior Members

I'm sure the 130i will provide the poke

Maybe I need to stop by and take one for a drive.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:45 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 530i 05

Originally Posted by BMW535d' date='Jan 17 2005, 08:04 AM
[quote name='ISUK' date='Jan 17 2005, 04:41 PM'][quote name='nomad' date='Jan 17 2005, 09:20 AM']Ok then. 3 words for you.

RS Focus. NOW

[snapback]80047[/snapback]
Hasn't the RS Focus stopped production now? A well optioned E90 330i would most likely be a better replacement for the E60. If you don't need the practicality of a saloon go and test drive the new 987 Boxster S. That car is FUN!
[snapback]80050[/snapback]
[/quote]

I agree, a Ford Focus really misses the refinement a E60 has (probably the E90 as well)
[snapback]80052[/snapback]
[/quote]

The Ford Focus SUX! Get a M3 if you want a more sporty car, or if you got the $$$ get a M5

Quick Reply: 26 days, 2200 km's and 2 washes later,