E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

26 days, 2200 km's and 2 washes later,

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 12:11 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skorpyo25' date='Jan 17 2005, 01:43 PM
...you can get a dragster out of your 535D, just leave it for few hours in the hands of a tuning center
[snapback]80118[/snapback]
Sounds like a plan to me. Put a chip in it, a cold air intake, add a cool sounding exhaust, better rims/tires.

If are serious about the the "thrill with a smile", buy a a 2004 Corvette Z06 or something like it for the weekends: 6sp manual, put you in the seat torque, beastly sounding exhaust,great handling, reasonable price.

Drive the E60 during the week.

That's what I did. The E60 is comfortable for traveling with the wife/family. And it gives enough power/handling for the highways at 80mph(fast for the US) . I don't think I'll give it up.

An hour in the Z06 will take of the thrill factor.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:28 PM
Senior Members

The inset handles on the inside work fine for me?
The handle works, but I wouldn't say it's easy. Just seems like an automatic close would be obvious for this car.

Ok then. 3 words for you.

RS Focus. NOW
Would probably get another Mini before a Ford, but I must admit, it is impressive.

What about a BMW M3, or perhaps sign up for an Audi RS3. More sporty, and still some refinement.
The M3 is probably my favorite car and if not for the new model coming out, would have been an obvious choice. The RS3 might be a consideration, we'll see.

It would be difficult to justify a Porsche or Corvette or any two-seater for that matter. I have two small children and although I don't mind squeezing them in a tight back seat, I won't pick a car that makes me leave them behind.

Dont they allow test drives before purchase in the Netherlands?
I drove a 530i and 530d, but the 535d had not been released. I was more impressed with the 530d, so I had hoped the 535d would be even more impressive. It is, no doubt about it.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 535d Titanium Silver, Black Nasca Leather, Servotronic Steering, , De-Chrome, Bi-Xenons including Headlight Washer Jets, adaptive headlights, Advanced A/C, Auto Dim Interior & Exterior Mirrors, Electric Folding Mirrors, Front Centre Sliding Armrest, extended lights package

I have a 535d and yes the acceleration is smooth
If you are not getting the acceleration sensation just glance in your rear view mirror
Old 01-18-2005, 09:47 AM
Members

My Ride: E39 525d, orient blue with beige interior. Planing on getting an E60 535d next summer when my lease on my E39 is over :)

Hi the-man-himself,
Can you please tell us abour your experience driving the 535d
thanks
Old 02-10-2005, 01:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by JBOO' date='Jan 17 2005, 06:40 AM
Let's see, where to begin??

After waiting 4 months for the car to arrive and then another 4 weeks to sort out the registration, I finally took delivery of my 535d on Dec 22, 2004. It was raining of course, so the sparkle soon faded as I exited the dealership.?

The following three weeks were a challenge as tried desperately to follow BMW's break-in guidance.? I must admit I pushed it a few times over the recommended speeds/RPM's.? However, I did control myself to a certain extent and never allowed full-throttle or kickdown.? I have now gotten to the point (km's) where I can finally let it breathe a little more, so the frustration of holding back is much less

So now, for the good and the bad.?

+ The engine is remarkable.? The acceleration is so smooth, the torque is
jet-like and the refinement is amazing.? It's unbelieveable that this is a diesel.?

- Can't explain why, but I do not get the thrill that I wish for when accelerating.? The car gains speed very quickly, but it's so smooth, that I almost feel like it could do more.? Maybe it's the automatic, or the engine or maybe it's just the car??

+ The exterior is beautiful.? I remember thinking BMW had screwed up when I first saw the E60, but I've done a complete 180 on that and now I'm in love?

- Only thing I would do different is add the M-package
- Wish there was an automatic trunk close or an easier way to close
?
+ The interior is beautiful. Not sure why people complain?? I'm not a big fan of some of the wood combination's, but overall, I think the interior is wonderful.

+ I-drive is great.? Again, not sure why there is so many complaints?

- Could live without the rain sensors.? They never seem to work for me properly.
- Same goes for the Hi-fi option, although, I've never heard the standard radio.
- Wish I would have gotten Pro Nav or at least the CD changer.? Swapping out the Nav DVD and CD's is for the birds.

Other than getting a strong burning smell a few times and an intermittent right rear brake light failure, no real problems to report.?

The car is great.? Unfortunately, it's not for me at this moment in my life.? I was looking for something with a little more thrill, something that would provide me more of a smile after each drive.? I feared this after slightly dis-appointing test drives in the 530i and 530d, but I was hoping the 535d would have that little extra to make a difference.? Don't get me wrong, the car is superb and performs much more than my test drives offered, but not enough to make me happy.? I always knew I would sell the car anyways, but I did not expect to be willing to let it go so soon.? I think the release of the E90 also has something to do with it.? It appears to offer a lot of the cool E60 features and styling that I love, in a slightly smaller, more sportier package.? This is just what I was looking for in the first place.

Oh my god! Now I'm scared as just ordered 535d sport. But then again I currently have the same standard five series as you but 530d and can sort of understand where you are comming from. The performance is great but the package is a little bit too normal for the money. Hopefully the sport model will change all that. Lets not forget the five series is not a two seater sports car - They're a lot cheaper!!!!

I'm sure I will enjoy my next few months driving the 535d and I will continue to be a fan even after it's gone.? Who knows, maybe after a few years, I'll be ready to get another one.?

Until then, if you know someone who wants a 535d at a good price, send them my way..........
[snapback]80004[/snapback]
Old 02-10-2005, 01:49 PM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

If you don't need a roomy car BMW released the 130i the other day. Then you could get one with a lot of equipment, such as iDrive, nice rims and some aerodynamic package... A really cool car IMO! And 258hp in a small car... mmmm!
Old 02-10-2005, 04:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 "Stripper" Now C6 "Stripper"

Sell it to me, me, me! Then i'll chip it! but the USA DOT and BMWNA will not make it worth my while.

Oh well.

I wish i could
Old 02-11-2005, 11:49 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ipp' date='Feb 10 2005, 04:49 PM
If you don't need a roomy car BMW released the 130i the other day. Then you could get one with a lot of equipment, such as iDrive, nice rims and some aerodynamic package... A really cool car IMO! And 258hp in a small car... mmmm!
[snapback]88742[/snapback]
You know, I definitely will consider that. It sounds like a screamer.

I actually considered the 1 series before I bought the 5, but decided to wait because the lack of a true high performance engine.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

I'd still prefer a M3 than a 130i

The 1 series looks wrong. As wrong as the Z3M Coupe rear was. Like an Alfa 147 that's been bent.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:02 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Originally Posted by BangleBox_530d' date='Feb 12 2005, 11:16 AM
I'd still prefer a M3 than a 130i

The 1 series looks wrong. As wrong as the Z3M Coupe rear was. Like an Alfa 147 that's been bent.
[snapback]89349[/snapback]
And I think the Z3M Coupe is one of the coolest looking cars ever buildt... Mayby thats why I love the 1er...

Quick Reply: 26 days, 2200 km's and 2 washes later,