E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 E60 Adaptive Bi-Xenons sticking on when flashed

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 10:43 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 LCI E60 520d M Sport Biz Ed with Vis pack, hard-drive Pro (wide) Nav, HFS, EFM, M Spoiler
Default 2009 E60 Adaptive Bi-Xenons sticking on when flashed

Hi Folks,

I'm a newbie here, having just picked up my first ever personally-owned BMW this weekend. I used to work for BMW back in 2007-2008 (as a dreaded salesman) and so thought I knew what to expect from this vintage of car but this problem's a new one to me and I can't find anything online for anything similar despite extensive Googlage...

Here's some background for those that are interested but my issue is highlighted in bold below.

I bought my 520d saloon 2 days ago and I'm really pleased with it; it drives absolutely beautifully and I used my BMW connections to check the spec and it's all factory-fit (week 25 build from 2009), as follows:

E60 520d M Sport Business Edition Saloon
Carbon Black Metallic
Black Dakota leather
Ext. mirrors - folding. auto dimming
Seat heating. front
Navigation system Professional
M rear spoiler
Sun protection glass
Visibility package

It's an ex BMW employee car with only one private owner since and has full main dealer service history up to 85k. I've picked it up with 106k on the clock, with an oil service just done by the retailer. There's evidence of some minor bodywork here and there but it drives absolutely bang on - the only problem I have identified is what I can only describe as a lag or lack of responsiveness in the xenons...

The car is fitted with Adaptive Bi-Xenon headlamps. When I flash the lights (to thank people for waiting or to wave them through a blockage), very occasionally I get what I expect - a very brief "flash" of the headlights... but most of the time, they stick on for what feels like an age (it's probably between half and a full second) which means I feel like I'm blinding the oncoming driver - not good when I'm actually trying to thank them or be nice to them!!!

I have also noticed some sluggishness in the self-levelling from the right beam which may or may not be related (it comes up and then slowly moves in towards the other beam) - this may be normal and I'm just not used to it but the issue with the flash is bothering me.

Has anyone else ever experienced anything similar?

I'm thinking causes could be any of the following:
  • sticky switch in the indicator lever (flash switch)
  • sticky hinges in the lens assembly within the bi-xenon unit
  • tired motor/servo inside the headlamp
  • faulty control box
Most of the above should be fixable or swappable but I'm really hoping I haven't bought a problem and the entire lamp assemblies need changing???!!!

Any ideas or diagnostic advice much appreciated...

Cheers All,

Iain