E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2008 LCI sport auto trans.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 06:47 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Close to ordering 2008 550i Sport Packg w/ sport auto tran. Previous owner of 2000 328i and 2003 E39 M5

Does hitting the sport button eliminate or decrease the "sponginess" in the first part of accelerator deppression?
Old 08-12-2007, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'd say not too much but then again, I've spent pretty much no time driving the car without the sport button pressed...
Old 08-12-2007, 08:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by SSBaronM5' post='457882' date='Aug 12 2007, 04:47 PM
Does hitting the sport button eliminate or decrease the "sponginess" in the first part of accelerator deppression?
In my opionion Yes - but I'm not used to the SMG version, so I suppose it's also about what you're used to...
Old 08-12-2007, 09:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Originally Posted by SSBaronM5' post='457882' date='Aug 12 2007, 09:47 AM
It decreases it. Sport makes the throttle more responsive. Although even without it I didn't recall a sense of sponginess with SAT.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

I think the "sponginess" is a relative term. If you're coming from a steptronic to the SAT, then you probably won't even notice it. If you're coming from an SMG to the SAT, then I think you'll understand what the sponginess is...
Old 08-13-2007, 02:47 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='457870' date='Aug 12 2007, 03:55 PM
I think you have to list them a little differently. Here goes:

1) Stick right/Auto shifting/Normal mode
2) Stick right/Auto shifting/Sport mode
3) Stick left/Auto shifting/Normal mode
4) Stick left/Auto shifting/Sport mode
5) Stick left/Manual shifting/Normal mode
6) Stick left/Manual shifting/Sport mode

And yes, the first two have a "temporary" manual mode that allows manual paddle shifting that reverts back to automatic mode if a gear isn't manually changed after a specific time interval.

So you sort of have 6 permanent modes and 2 temporary modes. When you slide the stick left, it's in mode #3 (or #4) until you manually shift it (then it goes into mode #5 or #6, respectively.)

Make sense?
so essentially mode #3 and #4 are identical to mode #1 and #2?

does the car remember that you were last in sports mode when you start it again? or do you always have to press the sports button everytime you want start the car - dunno whether it makes sense to run it in sports mode the whole time...

cheers
Old 08-13-2007, 04:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 1994 Mazda RX-7 2007 BMW 328xi 2008 BMW 550i (Sep 4 Munich delivery)

Yes - that's my question too - if you don't shift manually - what's the difference in auto-shifting when the stick is left or right?
Old 08-13-2007, 05:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='457870' date='Aug 12 2007, 08:55 AM
I think you have to list them a little differently. Here goes:

1) Stick right/Auto shifting/Normal mode
2) Stick right/Auto shifting/Sport mode
3) Stick left/Auto shifting/Normal mode
4) Stick left/Auto shifting/Sport mode
5) Stick left/Manual shifting/Normal mode
6) Stick left/Manual shifting/Sport mode

And yes, the first two have a "temporary" manual mode that allows manual paddle shifting that reverts back to automatic mode if a gear isn't manually changed after a specific time interval.

So you sort of have 6 permanent modes and 2 temporary modes. When you slide the stick left, it's in mode #3 (or #4) until you manually shift it (then it goes into mode #5 or #6, respectively.)
Make sense?
Not according to the manual. When you push the SAT Stick to the left the transmission is in Manual Mode M/S (Manual/Sport). According to page 63 of the manual this activates the sport program without pushing the sport button. You cannot be in normal mode with the stick pushed to the left.

According to the manual Sport Mode allows the car to react in a more-performance oriented manner. this includes the following:
1. The speed range of the engine is optimally utilized (for sport driving. This reduces the miles per gallon.)
2. Gearshifts are faster.
3. The steering responds more spontaneously to steering wheel movements.
4. In automatic mode 6th gear is not engaged (unless you manually shift into it).

From my experience with my 550 miles in Germany, and not being to go above the 4,500 rpm and staying less than 100 mph, the SAT was absolutely superb. It was rather remarkable. Although I did not run it briefly up to 115 mph and that was heavenly. The car ran so smooth and solid that my ever vigilant wife did not notice.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rsyed' post='458113
Not according to the manual. When you push the SAT Stick to the left the transmission is in Manual Mode M/S (Manual/Sport). According to page 63 of the manual this activates the sport program without pushing the sport button. You cannot be in normal mode with the stick pushed to the left.

According to the manual Sport Mode allows the car to react in a more-performance oriented manner. this includes the following:
1. The speed range of the engine is optimally utilized (for sport driving. This reduces the miles per gallon.)
2. Gearshifts are faster.
3. The steering responds more spontaneously to steering wheel movements.
4. In automatic mode 6th gear is not engaged (unless you manually shift into it).

From my experience with my 550 miles in Germany, and not being to go above the 4,500 rpm and staying less than 100 mph, the SAT was absolutely superb. It was rather remarkable. Although I did not run it briefly up to 115 mph and that was heavenly. The car ran so smooth and solid that my ever vigilant wife did not notice.
This is confusing and the manual doesn't really explain things very clearly.

I don't think modes #1 and #2 are the same as modes #3 and #4. When the stick is to the left, the car uses the transmission's sport program. I think this mode is just like selecting sport mode on a regular steptronic. The car uses a different shift program that upshifts at a higher rpm and holds gears longer before downshifting. Here's a clip of this from the manual:

2008 LCI sport auto trans.-step.jpg

The sport button activates "Dynamic Driving Control" which I explained in post #8 above. Here's a the clip from the manual:

2008 LCI sport auto trans.-ddc.jpg

So basically, for now, I think my listing of the six discrete combinations is correct -- then again, I haven't had enough coffee yet...
Old 08-13-2007, 07:26 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i non sport monaco blue dk poplar gray leather multi contour seats NAV cold weather fold down seats comfort access Logic 7 sat ipod

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='458147' date='Aug 13 2007, 10:46 AM
This is confusing and the manual doesn't really explain things very clearly.

I don't think modes #1 and #2 are the same as modes #3 and #4. When the stick is to the left, the car uses the transmission's sport program. I think this mode is just like selecting sport mode on a regular steptronic. The car uses a different shift program that upshifts at a higher rpm and holds gears longer before downshifting. Here's a clip of this from the manual:

Attachment 36303

The sport button activates "Dynamic Driving Control" which I explained in post #8 above. Here's a the clip from the manual:

Attachment 36304

So basically, for now, I think my listing of the six discrete combinations is correct -- then again, I haven't had enough coffee yet...

My understanding is that the Dynamic Driving Control shifts occur at even higher speeds than when in normal sport mode (DS), a sort of super sport mode. Power steering assist is also reduced, giving more spontaneous response. So, the six discrete combos seems correct.

C

Quick Reply: 2008 LCI sport auto trans.