E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 e60 oil change DIY question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 11:11 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vkhong
Oil Filter Cap Removal Tool

Also available from a BMW Center. Verify correct size for your engine / oil filter cap.
the bmw part takes a 27mm socket on the hex fitting....others may differ.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by vkhong
Oil Filter Cap Removal Tool

Also available from a BMW Center. Verify correct size for your engine / oil filter cap.
the bmw part takes a 27mm socket on the hex fitting....others may differ.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by deltabox
Thanks for all the advice guys. I will go with Castrol, since that's what my manual suggested. The pics help alot !!

I checked the book, but it doesn't tell me how many quarts to put in. Just shows me how to check oil levels using iDrive. but i'm thinking now it's 7 quarts, because that's how many they give you at getbmwparts.com when you purchase their oil change sets.

Where can I go buy the Mann filter? Do they sell them at pepboys, kragen or similar places?

to luigi: yeah, I made mental note about the O-rings. I know the ring that goes around the filter and the copper ring that goes around the drain plug. thanks.

to bmw535xi: the tool that you speak of, are you talking about the 32mm wrench used to unscrew the filter cap? is it 32mm or 36mm? i figure the only tools I needed were a socket wrench, 17mm socket and 32mm socket.

my bimmer has 44k miles on it. the last oil done was at 36k. so the computer won't tell me to bring it in until 51k miles, just right AFTER my maintenance expires. but i wanted to change it now, before that time comes. no way i'm waiting 15k miles to change her. plus, the car has been sitting on the lot since october.

on a slightly diff topic: i'm new to bmw so i'm new to the "E" language. is my car considered an e60? just so i know i order right part for my car.

i would just let it roll to the 51K mile notice...then change again. yes, you have an E60.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:06 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by deltabox
my bimmer has 44k miles on it. the last oil done was at 36k. so the computer won't tell me to bring it in until 51k miles, just right AFTER my maintenance expires. but i wanted to change it now, before that time comes. no way i'm waiting 15k miles to change her. plus, the car has been sitting on the lot since october.
on a slightly diff topic: i'm new to bmw so i'm new to the "E" language. is my car considered an e60? just so i know i order right part for my car.
Yes, your car is an e60!

As for your maintenance warranty - besides the mileage count-down you are covered for an oil service once each year - regardless of miles showing on the iDrive count down. So, if the oil service was performed by BMW 10-11 months ago - the dealer should be able to do it soon - before your maintenance coverage ends. Call the dealer and get the date of last service = same applies to other CBS indications (Condition Based Service).
Old 12-27-2011, 01:36 PM
Members

luigi: my last oil change was just done in October, so I won't go by the yearly rule. And if I go by the mileage rule, my maintenance will have expired.

vkhong: thanks for the pic on the removal tool. that picture totally verified that i had my eye on the right spot as far as the oil filter location. the cap is a 16 sided cap. do you know how many quarts i need? is it 6 or 7?
Old 12-27-2011, 03:24 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

6.9 qt. I just put in 7 one qt bottles.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:24 PM
Members

My Ride: 535
Model Year: 2010

I did a mid dealer change myself and used
Pennzoil Platinum European Formula Ultra SAE 5W-40

I have had an Audi 2.7T before and always used a 5W40 oil for preventing sludging.
All Turbo cars run hotter and I am told BMWs run hotter.. hence a 5W40 over 5W30 just protecting the engine...
I have always been a fan of the Pennzoil Platinum synthetic
Old 12-28-2011, 02:50 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525i M Sport Carbon Black Cream Leather Interior

I have a 2006 525i and it takes 6.5 litres of 0w-30 castrol edge fully synthetic.......thats what the manual says anyway.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:47 AM
Members

So my manual tells me to use 5w-30 or 5w-40. Should I use those or is 0w-40 okay also? I've never heard of 0w-40 until you guys mentioned it here.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:04 PM
Contributors

Automobile manufacturers began wider use of "0" weight oils (e.g. 0W-40) to reduce friction during the cold-start testing cycles imposed by the US DOT / EPA. It permitted them to achieve better fuel economy numbers. If you Google the topic you'll find a number of informative articles written about the changes / improvements made to lubricants over the years.

Just regard some of the literature as "promotions" made by some companies to sell very very very expensive motor oil. Here's one such article http://www.upmpg.com/tech_articles/oil_bottle.htm

Some of that stuff is better suited for aircraft engines that have to endure conditions considerably more extreme than a typical car - except for some of our forum friends in Finland perhaps!

Quick Reply: 2008 e60 oil change DIY question.