E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2008 Day Time Running Light out...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 04:58 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011
Thumbs up

OK, get an error message on Saturday that my right-side (passenger) DRL is out. Needless to say it looks funny driving around with only one side working so I have turned them off for now. My question is, having never faced this issue is, are the bulbs covered under the warranty/maintenance that come with the car? I have visions of the dealer telling me this is a "wear and tear" item and therefore not covered under the warranty. And apparently getting to the bulb is difficult so no DIY on this one... Any insights/experience is appreciated!
Old 10-19-2009, 05:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 530d Executive, all options except sunroof and comfort seats ECU remapped by ZipTuning to 260+bhp.

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='1035598' date='Oct 19 2009, 02:58 PM
OK, get an error message on Saturday that my right-side (passenger) DRL is out. Needless to say it looks funny driving around with only one side working so I have turned them off for now. My question is, having never faced this issue is, are the bulbs covered under the warranty/maintenance that come with the car? I have visions of the dealer telling me this is a "wear and tear" item and therefore not covered under the warranty. And apparently getting to the bulb is difficult so no DIY on this one... Any insights/experience is appreciated!
I've replaced my right-side Xenon this weekend, it's not that difficult.
Just unscrew the 4 torx-screws holding the headlight and the torx-screws on the front side of the bumper (only the screws on top need te be removed).
Now you can wiggle the headlight out easily and access all the lights.

Be prepared to pay a hefty price for the Xenons though...
Old 10-19-2009, 05:16 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by OverSoft' post='1035602' date='Oct 19 2009, 08:04 AM
Just unscrew the 4 torx-screws holding the headlight and the torx-screws on the front side of the bumper (only the screws on top need te be removed).

Thanks, but it's not the Xenon bulb, that still works fine. On LCI cars the DRL are the ring lights, a different bulb...
Old 10-19-2009, 05:23 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='1035598' date='Oct 19 2009, 08:58 AM
In the United States it is covered under the new car warranty (4yr/50k miles) ... if you don't have a copy of your BMW Warranty you can probably obtain that on line.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

Originally Posted by OverSoft' post='1035602' date='Oct 19 2009, 08:04 AM

Oversoft is right, its not hard to do providing you have the right tools. I replaced one of my DRL's a few months back. Just purchase the DRL bulb. take your time, after you do it once your a pro!
Old 10-19-2009, 05:32 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by stoic1' post='1035612' date='Oct 19 2009, 08:30 AM
Oversoft is right, its not hard to do providing you have the right tools. I replaced one of my DRL's a few months back. Just purchase the DRL bulb. take your time, after you do it once your a pro!
Thanks, but if it's covered under the warranty I'd rather let the dealer take care of it!
Old 10-19-2009, 05:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='1035615' date='Oct 19 2009, 08:32 AM
Thanks, but if it's covered under the warranty I'd rather let the dealer take care of it!
True dat!
Old 10-19-2009, 05:49 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='1035615' date='Oct 19 2009, 09:32 AM
+1 ...
Old 10-19-2009, 05:50 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='1035610' date='Oct 19 2009, 08:23 AM
In the United States it is covered under the new car warranty (4yr/50k miles) ... if you don't have a copy of your BMW Warranty you can probably obtain that on line.
Thanks luigi, I did read the warranty booklet that came with the car but there is no specific mention of light bulbs, at least I did not see any. My concern is that this gets treated like oil top offs. Neither is explicitly mentioned in the printed materials and I could see my dealer saying it is a wear and tear item not covered. Just trying to see if anyone else has had the DRL bulb go out and how their dealer handled it. If it not a warranty item, I may try to do it myself as Oversoft and stoic1 suggest...
Old 10-19-2009, 05:56 AM
Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='1035598' date='Oct 19 2009, 06:58 AM
That is covered. Anything for the next 4 years.

Quick Reply: 2008 Day Time Running Light out...