E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 550i Sport fob question

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 11:34 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

I recently purchased a non CPO 2008 550i sport a couple days ago. I have the comfort access feature, and upon starting the vehicle I get the battery key symbol with a line through it. When I start the car with fob in the ignition I get no notification on the dash.

This is my first BMW, so I need some insight.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:42 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550 -- Dinan Stage 1 (fully loaded) -------------------------------------------- 1. Dinan Free Flow Exhaust 2. Dinan High Flow Intake 3. Dinan Stage 3 Software 4. Dinan Shock Braces 5. Dinan Strut Braces 6. Dinan Throttle Body 7. Dinan Stage 1 Suspension 8. Black kidney grills 9. HRE Performance Rims (P40s in textured black) 10. Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires

Non comfort access cars can recharge the key in the ignition. Comfort access *cannot*. I have the same car. You need to change the battery in the FOB. Its easy to do:
  1. Purchase Energizer 2032 battery -- on amazon.com (5 for $5) -- http://amzn.to/e5blZm
  2. Take the mechanical key out of the FOB.
  3. Turn the FOB over so that the buttons are facing downward.
  4. You'll see a small inlet where the mechanical key goes in -- use the mechanical key to pry the back of the key off.
  5. Swap batteries.
  6. Put the panel back on the FOB and reinsert your mechanical key.
  7. Warning should go away.
  8. Batteries seem to last about 6 months if this is a daily driver vehicle.
Hope that helps.

Todd
Old 02-18-2011, 12:00 PM
Contributors

Never mind amazon and waiting for the mail ... Go to a Duane Reade and buy one for $2.00 - it'll take 2 minutes to put it in your fob. If that doesn't fix the key alert and since you have had your car for only a couple of days go back to the dealer and don't be duped into paying anything. Esp if your car is still under the original factory warranty! The instructions are as noted in the other post or in your owner's manual. You did get an owner's manual - DIDN'T YOU?
Old 02-18-2011, 12:31 PM
Members
Senior Members

Thanks fellas for the insight. Yes, I received all manuals with car.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:37 PM
Members

My Ride: F10 535i: Jet Black, Black Dakota leather, Sport Auto, Cold Weather, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance Plus, Dynamic Handling, Luxury Seating, M Sport, Premium, Technology, Rear Sunshades, Auto High Beams, BMW Assist w/enhanced BT and USB.

You can buy the batteries at CVS, Walmart or Target
Old 02-18-2011, 01:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Jet Black|Black Options: Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|PDC|Nav|Satellite Radio|Active Steering|Convenience Entry Mods: Trinity Side Skirts|Trinity Black Grilles|LCI Tail Lights with Bruce V6|Fog Light Bezel Rings|MTEC V2 Angel Eyes|LED License Plate Lights

Originally Posted by Bayerische Motoren-Werke
Hi All,

I recently purchased a non CPO 2008 550i sport a couple days ago. I have the comfort access feature, and upon starting the vehicle I get the battery key symbol with a line through it. When I start the car with fob in the ignition I get no notification on the dash.

This is my first BMW, so I need some insight.

The posted comments about replacing the battery were correct. It is an easy fix. It is too bad they didn't get this in the CPO process. The CPO checklist does have a line item for the key but they may simply be making sure it is there and does not appear to be broken.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:40 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by wolf
The posted comments about replacing the battery were correct. It is an easy fix. It is too bad they didn't get this in the CPO process. The CPO checklist does have a line item for the key but they may simply be making sure it is there and does not appear to be broken.
I thought that too ... except the OP wrote non-CPO ... but it is an easy remedy if it's a battery in the CA FOB. If not, it's more expensive and even if bought someplace other than a BMW dealer the car is an 08 and might still be covered by BMW's factory warranty.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:31 AM
Members
Senior Members

Thanks again fellas, I replaced the battery and no more dash notifications.

I believe my warranty is up in July, because the in service of the car was July 2007. That said, would it be advisable to seek an extended warranty through BMW? What are the different price points? For you 550i aficionado, what are some common problems I can possible encounter, the car has 44K on it? From my prior research these cars seem to have a good track record. I plan on keeping this car for the next 10+ years, as I am quiet smitten by it.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:56 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i M-Sport

The only problems I have had is a jerky transmission and spastic cold idle - both fixed @ the dealer with software update. Now my only complaint is I wish it was a W221

Edit: I have 51K miles for the record.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:15 AM
Members
Senior Members

^ I assume the W221 is a Benz?

Quick Reply: 2008 550i Sport fob question